Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-29-2009, 05:22 PM   #1
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Might not be technically reading but I just discovered BBC7 Online audiobook readings

I cannot recommend these streams highly enough. It is a wonderful option to the same 40 songs played in the same sequence all day long. And a far better option than so-called "talk radio" and the farce that has become, thank you Jerry Springer, Limbaugh and Jim Rome...

Anyway, they have a nice SF selection and I am assuming it changes on a regular basis. Plus it's free!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/radio/bbc_7/drama

Lots of other genre's to choose from...good background noise while working.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:27 PM   #2
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
A nice thing about BBC Radio is that that streams are available to those outside the UK, whereas streams from BBC TV are not.
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2009, 07:39 PM   #3
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabound View Post
A nice thing about BBC Radio is that that streams are available to those outside the UK, whereas streams from BBC TV are not.
Oh, I didn't know that! Thank you for pointing it out. I'd assumed that it would be blocked for non-UK IP addresses like iPlayer is. *dashes off to BBC website*
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 07:50 PM   #4
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabound View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fledchen View Post
Oh, I didn't know that! Thank you for pointing it out. I'd assumed that it would be blocked for non-UK IP addresses like iPlayer is. *dashes off to BBC website*
Yeah, sorry for not pointing that part out. Being in the US I knew, much to my disappointment, that the video is not viewable but the audio is...so thanks for the reminder.

I am listening to the second installment of Ghost Galaxies by Piers Anthony right now.

A neat thing for us here on the US west coast is we have about a 9hr difference so when a lot of the shows I want to listen to are on live, I can listen during the early afternoon not the 10pm-1am or so time in the UK.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:46 AM   #5
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
From all us Brits, we're glad to be subsidising your entertainment with our license fee You can thank us later
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2009, 06:04 AM   #6
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
I think it's great that BBC radio stuff is available overseas.

It's like a pressie to the world from the UK - our version of the US giving everyone access to their NASA material.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:15 AM   #7
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
In the FWIW department:

BBC Audio recently released The Lincoln-Douglas Debates on 14 audio CDs (16 hours). David Straithern is Abraham Lincoln and Richard Dreyfuss is Stephen Douglas. It is available at Levenger's for $19.95. For those who are interested in this bit of American history, I can tell you that the debates are fascinating and well done (I purchased a copy from Levenger). I can understand why the voters (and nonvoters) were mesmerized by these debates.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:51 AM   #8
weateallthepies
Lord of the Pies
weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Sage, Onyx Boox Leaf 2, iPad Pro
BBC7 rarely leaves my radio.

The Beebotron
might be useful to some people here. Strips out all the junk and just gives you the real audio URLs. I use it for pushing links to xbox media centre but handy for lots of different software.
weateallthepies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:48 PM   #9
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
From all us Brits, we're glad to be subsidising your entertainment with our license fee You can thank us later
I'd gladly pay the license fee if it meant I could access BBC television material.
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote