Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-19-2009, 01:33 PM   #1
daesdaemar
Addict
daesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 3, iPad 3
Battery change

Has anyone had to have their PRS-505 battery changed? What were the particulars?
daesdaemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 02:39 PM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Fortunately not. I expect you have to send it in to Sony. Have you tried calling Sony tech support?
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2009, 04:57 PM   #3
daesdaemar
Addict
daesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Fortunately not. I expect you have to send it in to Sony. Have you tried calling Sony tech support?
I don't need to have it done. I'm curious as to what it involves (and expense).
Old 01-19-2009, 05:10 PM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Knowing Sony, if it's out of warranty, it won't be cheap
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:09 PM   #5
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
I remember reading a thread here on MobileRead how some guy bought a replacement battery on the net and installed it himself, successfully. For the life of me I can't find it right now...
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2009, 08:05 PM   #6
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
The sony uses a pretty regular battery.
it's a 3,7V, 850mAh battery,with 2 leads (a + positive and - ground).

You'll need to open the device (after warranty),by unscrewing the 4 screws in the back,and slide out the internals.

the battery uses a plug that is similar to some notebook cpu fan plugs (2pin,usb).
The only thing you'll need to keep an eye out for is the sizes. Most portable camera's and cellphones have 3,7V and between 640-2500mAh,so finding a good battery online shouldn't be that hard.

Just make sure you connect the leads correct.

Haven't tried myself;but I think the process could involve soldering some wires to have contact between battery and the board.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:04 AM   #7
daesdaemar
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
The sony uses a pretty regular battery.
it's a 3,7V, 850mAh battery,with 2 leads (a + positive and - ground).

You'll need to open the device (after warranty),by unscrewing the 4 screws in the back,and slide out the internals.

the battery uses a plug that is similar to some notebook cpu fan plugs (2pin,usb).
The only thing you'll need to keep an eye out for is the sizes. Most portable camera's and cellphones have 3,7V and between 640-2500mAh,so finding a good battery online shouldn't be that hard.

Just make sure you connect the leads correct.

Haven't tried myself;but I think the process could involve soldering some wires to have contact between battery and the board.
Well, if it comes to it at some point in the future, it certainly sounds doable.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:13 AM   #8
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by daesdaemar View Post
Well, if it comes to it at some point in the future, it certainly sounds doable.
I would give them a call and see if they'll give you a quote over the phone or a target price.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:09 PM   #9
PGP_Protector
Enthusiast
PGP_Protector doesn't litterPGP_Protector doesn't litterPGP_Protector doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Flicker has a set of photos showing how to disassemble it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2172951...7603454047408/

PGP_Protector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:55 AM   #10
daesdaemar
Addict

PGP Protector - thanks. I would NEVER have figured out how to open it otherwise.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:49 PM   #11
Cogito
Reader
Cogito began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505, 500
I did a battery swap in my 505 today. I was getting only a few days charge and recently, when I didn’t have a charger in my carry-on, had to rely on Sony reps promoting the Reader at the Dallas airport.

I used the flicker pictures and instructions (above)

and a battery (which comes with all the tools you need for the job) from BatteryShip.com

Thoughts:
I used a chopstick on step 6 to gently push out the innards.

You could definitely fit a larger battery (in all dimensions) if you didn’t use the battery tray and just glued the battery onto the back of the screen.

Go slow and don’t force anything. I’ll post if the battery life is unexpected.
Cogito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:03 AM   #12
Renaldo
Addict
Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
The Sony 505 Service Manual was also posted here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26279

It's got full disassembly/assembly instructions.
Renaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 03:03 PM   #13
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
I'd advise against gluing anything to the screen; in case you wish to remove it later.

You could however,put some foam around the battery to prevent it making sound when shaking the reader. Also test your battery to see if it charges well.
I would not know if a larger capacity battery would be charged fully on the reader.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 03:21 PM   #14
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
I'd advise against gluing anything to the screen; in case you wish to remove it later.

You could however,put some foam around the battery to prevent it making sound when shaking the reader. Also test your battery to see if it charges well.
I would not know if a larger capacity battery would be charged fully on the reader.
How does the reader know about battery's capacity?
I thought that circuit that is responsible for charging, overcharging/over-discharging of the battery is integrated into the battery. Reader is just aware of what the battery is reporting back?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 03:25 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogito View Post
I did a battery swap in my 505 today. I was getting only a few days charge and recently, when I didn’t have a charger in my carry-on, had to rely on Sony reps promoting the Reader at the Dallas airport.

I used the flicker pictures and instructions (above)

and a battery (which comes with all the tools you need for the job) from BatteryShip.com

Thoughts:
I used a chopstick on step 6 to gently push out the innards.

You could definitely fit a larger battery (in all dimensions) if you didn’t use the battery tray and just glued the battery onto the back of the screen.

Go slow and don’t force anything. I’ll post if the battery life is unexpected.
So is the new battery functioning well?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote