Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 12-16-2008, 07:46 AM   #1
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505
Re-Purchasing from fictionwise

Recently I bought 2 books from Fictionwise. It was after the purchase and download that I discovered that the PDF format was horrible on my Sony 505 and I couldn't read it. Due to the DRM, I am unable to do anything to reformat.

I have since found that I can download LIT files and convert these easily enough to look great on my reader.

So, I attempted to purchase the same books again but in a different format. Unfortunately, the sale failed as the site says I already have the books in my bookshelf.

I don't want to create a new account as I was going to use my Micropay account to rebuy the books.

I have sent an E-mail to fictionwise but have heard nothing back from them.

Is there any way that I can get these books in a different format? I am willing to pay for them again but want to keep everything under the same account!

Thank you in advance.
PieOPah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:02 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Customer service should be able to sort it for you. Generally takes them 2-3 days to reply.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2008, 08:07 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
And....who knows?.....tell them your problem and you might be able to get the .lit version free.

Tell them exactly what you said here: "...the PDF format was horrible on my Sony 505 and I couldn't read it."

It's worth a try.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:10 AM   #4
dogsballs
Zealot
dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony psr-505
surely once you purchase a book you can re-download the same book in different formats. i know i can
dogsballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:12 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsballs View Post
surely once you purchase a book you can re-download the same book in different formats. i know i can
With multi-format books you can. Not with secure books.
Advert
Old 12-16-2008, 08:13 AM   #6
dogsballs
Zealot
dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony psr-505
bummer
dogsballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:36 AM   #7
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

I have found a way around it...

I have been able to buy a gift certificate using my micropay. I created a new account and redeemed the gift certificate. Bought one of the books with this. Paid for the other.

I have then gift certificated the new balance back to my original account.

I wasn't looking for any freebies and the amount of 'free' micropay that I have received means I can justify paying for one of the books twice. Such a great scheme that I don't feel bad about having paid more than I should - from my bonuses I've been able to buy 3 books!

Great site

Thanks for the advice though
Old 12-16-2008, 08:39 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Can I ask why you purchased PDF in the first place given all the warnings about how bad PDF can be?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:49 AM   #9
PieOPah
Addict

I have previous purchased books from waterstones (UK) which came in epub format. I was naively expecting the same thing when I bout the secure adobe. The epub looks fine for me so didn't expect a problem...

Obviously after I downloaded and loaded onto my reader, the formatting was horrible!
Old 12-16-2008, 09:07 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Sorry to sound like a "broken record", but PDF IS NOT AN EBOOK FORMAT .
Old 12-16-2008, 09:09 AM   #11
PieOPah
Addict

Since I am new to this scene, I am also fairly naive... I have learned enough to stop me 'wasting' any more money.

I should have read up more on what I was purchasing in the first place. I also wrongly assumed that I would be able to convert the file if I needed to.

Now I know to only buy LIT files which I can then convert to LRF
Old 12-16-2008, 09:24 AM   #12
curlygirl
curlygirl began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
I agree, LIT would be the best format that works for me, followed by MOBI.
curlygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:25 AM   #13
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieOPah View Post
So, I attempted to purchase the same books again but in a different format. Unfortunately, the sale failed as the site says I already have the books in my bookshelf.
This must be a bug and you should report it as a bug. Why should you not be allowed to buy a book in different formats?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:30 AM   #14
PieOPah
Addict

I don't think it is a bug, I think it is to stop people accidentally purchasing the same book. I think that instead of completely stopping you it should instead warn you that you already have the title, you should then be told of the format you have it in then given the option to purchase it in a different format.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:35 AM   #15
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
I think they give you the warning but if you want to purchase them again in a different format the site should let you. I think the warning is to avoid doing what I do periodically, forget I already have a copy.

Just ignore the warning, continue with the transaction and see what happens.
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote