Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-10-2010, 04:28 PM   #166
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Craft Time!: Make Your Own Zombie Barbie

SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:16 AM   #167
loopeylisie
Enthusiast
loopeylisie began at the beginning.

Device: none
i love this thread, some great book suggestions.

Although its not a zombie book, I always felt that day of the triffids has the same atmosphere as that of a zombie book. Anyone else agree?
loopeylisie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2010, 08:17 PM   #168
Jadon
Hermit
Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Glo
Day of the Triffids is a pretty good analog for zombie movies: slow-moving monsters, often attacking in groups, that a moderately lucky and resourceful focus character should be able to avoid. Plus much of the drama isn't specifically about the monsters, but about dealing with nasty and selfish survivors who make the end of civilization even less fun than expected.
Jadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 02:23 AM   #169
megthered
Connoisseur
megthered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.megthered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.megthered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.megthered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.megthered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.megthered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.megthered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.megthered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.megthered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.megthered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.megthered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 10.1, Galaxy Note 8.0, Nook HD
Read PPZ, thought it was good, loved WWZ. I am now reading The Strain and I have just gotten Zombie: A Memoir. About a zombie outbreak and a man who becomes a zombie but maintains his memories and humanity. I am going to finish those two and take a break from zombies.
megthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 08:32 AM   #170
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Not strictly a zombie book but it looks interesting:

The Calculus Diaries: How Math Can Help You Lose Weight, Win in Vegas, and Survive a Zombie Apocalypse by Jennifer Ouellette
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2010, 09:51 AM   #171
M. R. Mathias
Banned
M. R. Mathias has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle k3, PC
I'm sure its allready been recomended but 33A.D. was pretty good by David McAfee
M. R. Mathias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:59 AM   #172
sideburnt
Connoisseur
sideburnt began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-505
Feed, by Mira Grant has had some great reviews. I read about half of it and decided it felt too much like reading a computer game or a graphic novel, I don't know I like my Zombie Novels written in a serious style, anyway this novel didn't work for me.

I've also recently purchased from smashwords;
A Chemical fire (reccomended in this thread)
Dead of Night
Oasis
Survive
Undead Advantage: A Zombie Chronicles Novel.

I'll give reviews as a I work through them.

I'm getting to the point now that I think I could almost write my own novel, you get saturated by reading so many novels that you kind of get a tapestry of an idea of your own after a while, smashwords facinates me
sideburnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:40 PM   #173
JoeKeppler
New Author
JoeKeppler began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Sideburnt you totally beat me to that one! I've heard some great things about Feed myself. Interesting comments you made on that one though, maybe I'll stay away...

Looks like I'm going to be unpopular here when I say this, but I just couldn't stick with World War Z... and I really, REALLY wanted to. I was looking for a change of pace, quirky little horror title, and I heard great things there.

The book had me from the first several chapters; it's very unique, very War of the Worlds like, I'd say, in terms of the feel and presentation (With a CNN twist? Does that possibly make sense??)

But I felt like the gimmick kind of wore out towards the final quarter or so. Could be a tribute to the writer, though... because there were just a handful of stories and characters that I loved and wanted to hear more about, only to kind of be bored with the following stories that, to me, didn't add up to the same excellence. (For those that haven't read, it's more of a collection of short stories with an overriding theme... that theme being brain eaters...)

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies might HAVE to be my next ticket based on the comments I've seen here though!
JoeKeppler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:06 PM   #174
naql
naql began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad, iPhone 4, Mac
I just finished up Boneshaker by Cherie Priest. It is a steampunk novel set in 1863 with zombies in it. They aren't really a central theme of the story though. I liked the book quite a bit.
naql is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 03:26 AM   #175
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I *really* had no idea zombies were so popular!

My daughter is playing one in a play on Halloween. You're all invited!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 12:35 PM   #176
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh no you don't!

You're just trying to save money feeding your zombie daughter!

I ain't gona go.
Old 09-25-2010, 01:50 PM   #177
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Well, she's gotta eaaaat......
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:06 PM   #178
Billjr13
Addict
Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 700 & 650
Well he is the author and it is a recomendation... but I am asuming he's read it too and therefore it should be ok to at least once sugest it for this thread. :0 It is about zombies.
Billjr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:58 PM   #179
SameOldStory
My True Self

True, the thread is about zombies and so is his book.

The reason for the creation of "Author Self-Promotions" was that you had a lot of people signing on MR and immediately spamming their books.

So they put Author Self-Promotions in the main section. And the first posting in that section is Welcome Authors & Publishers! (please read this first).
"We've created this "Author Self-Promotions" forum as a place for authors and publishers to promote, sell, or give away their own ebook titles. If you've posted in a different forum, you can ask a moderator to move the thread by clicking the "report post" button ; other members may also signal misplaced threads, which will be moved."

"pigeonweather" has a new account and promotes his book in the most obvious area. Some have called that spam, but personally I don’t mind, too much.

He also has a posting in "Author Self-Promotions" called Unwritten Rules of Impossible Things that he posted BEFORE he posted here in the Zombie thread. That was why I said "I could be wrong. But you do know that there is a place for this kind of post, don't you?"

The "Author Self-Promotions" is a better place to go to for this type of thing.

On a side note;
I have read his book. For the most part it is pretty good. Not great, but pretty good.

The problem is that there is a lot of potentiality in the book. And most of it is left dangling in the wind.

Tom Lichtenberg may have a very good future ahead of him. But I think that he needs some help to develop himself. I get the feeling that he produced this book entirely by himself. If so, he needs an editor. If not, then he needs a better editor.

So I would recommend the book for a casual read, but hope that he'll rewrite it. Especially the end.

Thanks, Tom, for the link to your other books. Tom Lichtenberg
Old 09-30-2010, 02:22 AM   #180
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadon View Post
Day of the Triffids is a pretty good analog for zombie movies: slow-moving monsters, often attacking in groups, that a moderately lucky and resourceful focus character should be able to avoid. Plus much of the drama isn't specifically about the monsters, but about dealing with nasty and selfish survivors who make the end of civilization even less fun than expected.
Day of the Triffids is one of my favorite books, probably for exactly the reasons you state. I love stories where the existing order is overturned, where new rules for survival come into play, and where there is menace lurking around every corner. Day of the Triffids fits the bill (along with most zombie novels).
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote