Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 06-06-2016, 09:19 AM   #1
KellySB
KellySB began at the beginning.

Device: none
Convert from Word to MOBI

Hello there,
While converting my children's book from Word to MOBI, I'm getting blank pages between each page when I preview on Calibre previewer. Is it standard? Am I'm doing something wrong?I'm using the newest version of Calibre 64bit on windows 10
Help, please.
Thank you!
KellySB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:03 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellySB View Post
Hello there,
While converting my children's book from Word to MOBI, I'm getting blank pages between each page when I preview on Calibre previewer. Is it standard? Am I'm doing something wrong?I'm using the newest version of Calibre 64bit on windows 10
Help, please.
Thank you!
I think you need to look at (and understand) the HTML / CSS being generated. ( right click at the boundary between text and that gap: Inspect)

Page breaks in your source coupled with automatic page breaks at chapter starts COULD cause this.

Using Blank many lines in the source to push text around is another.
You do this by CSS styling rules, not blanks

Mixing a PDF into the SOURCE flow It could be anything
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2016, 04:42 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Moderator Notice
Moved to separate thread

@KellySB - we prefer that you create a new threads rather adding to existing threads that are at best tangentially related

What format did you save in Word, DOCX, DOC, HTML... etc - DOCX is best.

In Word check to see if there are hard coded page breaks. Make use of Word styles to define horizontal and vertical spacing rather than spaces, tabs and empty paragraphs.

If you create a fragment/sample DOCX and put it in a zip and post it here as an attachment someone like me will have a look at it. You can attach files in Advanced mode via the paper clip icon/toolbar button

Word to the wise:

If you edit the output (EPUB or AZW3. AFAIK MOBI is not an easily edited format) of conversion to correct substantive problems you are effectively abandoning the Word document. IMO it is better to correct as much as possible in the original format and associated tool.

I convert 10-20 Word documents a day from DOCX to EPUB (not books as such - public domain official documents, essays, dissertations and such). Most of the resultant EPUBs don't need editing, any EPUB editing I do is almost invariably related to image size/positioning and embedded metadata.

I also draw your attention to this ==>> How to ask a question about conversion problems

And welcome to Mobileread

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 08:18 PM   #4
KellySB
KellySB began at the beginning.

Ebook conversion from DOCX to MOBI

@theducks and @BetterRed, Thanks for the insights!

I saved my ebook in DOCX as well as all other documents I have.

Since I had to submit my book, I ended up uploading to Amazon the way it was, and the file was Okay. I tried on different devices, and there were no blank page issues. Interesting enough (at least for me who don't have knowledge of HTML), while in Calibre, I tested out converting the document from DOCX to both MOBI and EPUB, and I experienced blank pages throughout the document in MOBI format. However, in EPUB, I just had two blank pages, and the rest of the file was fine.

Now, I'm curious to know if it's a Calibre bug. I looked up the link below for instructions about conversion problems, and I might submit it to the bug tracker so they can check it out.

On a final note, sorry to put the inquiry on the first related thread I found. I couldn't find where to start a new thread or post.
Best, Kelly
KellySB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 08:52 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
@theducks and @BetterRed, Thanks for the insights!

On a final note, sorry to put the inquiry on the first related thread I found. I couldn't find where to start a new thread or post.
Best, Kelly
there is a New Thread Button right below the Forum Section tree (path?)

BTW you need to be at the List, not viewing a topic
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2016, 10:07 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Now, I'm curious to know if it's a Calibre bug. I looked up the link below for instructions about conversion problems, and I might submit it to the bug tracker so they can check it out.
@KellySB - you can report bugs here==>> Bugs : calibre Hit "Report a bug" at top of right sidebar.

You should to attach your DOCX and MOBI (in a ZIP would be best) and details of any non standard Conversion settings - mark it as private - IIRC there's a checkbox on the right to do that - after you hit submit.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote