Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-21-2016, 07:35 AM   #31
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You have to remember, if you open the PW3 to access the serial port, you invalidate the warranty.
That depends on the country, it is not so in many (including the USA).

Plus, only Amazon can decide if your warrenty is invalid, not anyone on this forum.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 07:35 AM   #32
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmsitsee View Post
hi everyone . does any one know when the jailbreak is going to be released . h just read in earlier post by end of this month gonna be released is that true
i really need my pw3 to be jailbroken. i wonder why pw3 original pdf reader is so rubbish and weak .
It'll probably come out when Amazon deigns to release its next firmware update. I believe the jailbreak author has said as much. Keep your Kindle in airplane mode because the next FW update will block the JB. Of course, the possibility remains that the author will never release it if Amazon tells him not to.

For those who have yet to buy a Kindle, if they are not happy with the very limited Kindle software, if you are in the USA, get a Kobo via mail or get a Nook Plus from B&N and root it. I'm not sure, but I believe it's been completely rooted:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/nook...-plus-t3230323

One can also purchase an open Android device like an Onyx or a Boyue, which can be found on Amazon.

Last edited by Rizla; 01-21-2016 at 01:51 PM.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2016, 08:35 AM   #33
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
It'll probably come out when Amazon deigns to release its next firmware update. I believe the jailbreak author has said as much. Keep your Kindle in airplane mode because the next FW update will block the JB. Of course, the possibility remains that the author will never release it if Amazon tells him not to.

For those who have yet to buy a Kindle, if they are not happy with the very limited Kindle software, get a Kobo via mail or get a Nook Plus from B&N and root it. I'm not sure, but I believe it's been completely rooted:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/nook...-plus-t3230323
If not by software, then over the serial port.
I see three serial ports (J4 & J9 & one @ bottom of pic) with terminals clearly labeled (empty thru-holes - easy to connect to (the i.MX6SL has five or six total) ).
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...77&postcount=7

Directions for using J4 on second and following pages of that thread.

The nook plus is an Android (KitKat) device.
The 'usual' way to root an Android device is with a file on its external storage card.
The nook plus does not have an external storage card
So the serial port is used to make the system changes manually.
(not unlike our running the 'standard' jb.sh script over the serial port on 5.6.x devices)

Last edited by knc1; 01-21-2016 at 09:00 AM.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:44 AM   #34
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
why amazon !!!! it has nothing to do with amazon i am the owner of my kindle and i can do whatever i want with it . i want to jailbreak it .does amazon know the jb author location and where he lives ??? does he work for amazon ?????? so what amazon gonna do if he releases without their permission???????????
The author stated that the discovered jailbreak relies on a remote exploit, which could be triggered without action by the device owner.

That is what is known as a "security vulnerability".

It is impolite in the extreme to publicly release a security exploit without giving the vendor a chance to fix it first.

You can maybe get upset at the author for giving Amazon so much extra time (though getting upset doesn't really help). Yes, there is a concept of giving the vendor a time limit, to prevent them from taking too long while users' devices/software/whatever are still vulnerable. But no one here has any idea of the details of the author's communications with Amazon, or how long he has given them to fix it.
Do NOT get upset at the mere idea that the author would attempt to coordinate with Amazon.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 11:56 AM   #35
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
why amazon !!!! it has nothing to do with amazon i am the owner of my kindle and i can do whatever i want with it . i want to jailbreak it .does amazon know the jb author location and where he lives ??? does he work for amazon ?????? so what amazon gonna do if he releases without their permission???????????
As pointed out at length above, it is a matter of professional ethics.
Advert
Old 01-21-2016, 12:00 PM   #36
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
I highly recommend since you cannot do what you want with the PW3 return it.
Like the others have said, it is an ethics matter. No need to get upset.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 01:33 PM   #37
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The nook plus is an Android (KitKat) device.
The 'usual' way to root an Android device is with a file on its external storage card.
The nook plus does not have an external storage card
So the serial port is used to make the system changes manually.
(not unlike our running the 'standard' jb.sh script over the serial port on 5.6.x devices)
I am not intimately familiar with the process, but from a cursory glance, I believe apps (including google market) can be installed on the new Nook without opening it or meddling with the hardware in any way. In any case, I only mention the Nook and added the link for people who might want a more customizable and open device and for whom therefore the Kindle would not be a suitable device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I highly recommend since you cannot do what you want with the PW3 return it.
Like the others have said, it is an ethics matter. No need to get upset.
I agree. It is probable that you will be able to JB the PW3 in the future (but not guaranteed), and as such, if you can return it and purchase a Kobo or a Nook Plus, that option may better suit your needs.

But if you do choose for whatever reason to keep the PW3, don't despair, and keep it in airplane mode, and be patient. The JB will probably come, but the author seems to be waiting on Amazon to release a FW patch.

Last edited by Rizla; 01-21-2016 at 01:36 PM.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 01:52 PM   #38
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
I would say that 4 months (which at the end of this month would be amount of time passed since Amazon was made aware of the bug) is/was polite in the extreme, considering the amount of resources and money Amazon has at it's disposal. Amazon is obviously stalling.

If I'am remembering things correctly the jailbreak author mentioned that the procedure would require factory reseting our Kindles, it would be real nice "joke" in the end if the exploit (if it has something to do with registration process ) could be patched via server side fix!
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 02:13 PM   #39
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
u
i cant return it or buy new one. i still didnt get it .if amazon wanted to fix the patch it would have done it by now. i dont care about amazon any more i dont give damn shit about amazon . they are fraud they gave us a limited book reader . they want you to buy your books only from them .i desperately plea the jb author to release it . i am poor student who bought this reader with so many hardship i waited so many years to buy a book reader . and know it sucks . i cant read my books on it .please release the jb
Excuse me.
I have books from Amazon, Smashwords, Mobileread, Project Gutenberg all on my kindle and books I got directly from authors. It is just a matter of knowing which format to get and how to sideload.
It is not as limited as you say it is.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 02:16 PM   #40
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@kmsitsee,

So... you bought an E-Ink Kindle for mathematical texts, you claim you can't afford Kindle books (but you can afford to buy them elsewhere ) and you've never heard of calibre for converting your EPUBs to AZW3?

If you are referring to PDF, I've got bad new for you.
You should've gotten a tablet -- E-Ink ereaders of all stripes tend to be a miserable reading experience for PDF.
The E-Ink Kindles are certainly not an exception to this rule.

But you may want to try k2pdfopt, which can help reflow a PDF to be easier to read on E-Ink devices like the Kindle (its original target audience).

Last edited by eschwartz; 01-21-2016 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-21-2016, 02:25 PM   #41
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
I would say that 4 months (which at the end of this month would be amount of time passed since Amazon was made aware of the bug) is/was polite in the extreme, considering the amount of resources and money Amazon has at it's disposal. Amazon is obviously stalling.
2.5 months since @Branch Delay's update, which I think suffices to explain why the clock reset.

As I said -- feel free to say he should've said enough is enough. (I am not so nice. I would've said back in October "sorry, you blew it, I'm releasing it now and maybe that will make you take it more seriously".)

Quote:
If I'am remembering things correctly the jailbreak author mentioned that the procedure would require factory reseting our Kindles, it would be real nice "joke" in the end if the exploit (if it has something to do with registration process ) could be patched via server side fix!
A jailbreak is an entry point.
Once the jailbreak is installed, it is self-sufficient.
Old 01-21-2016, 02:31 PM   #42
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
i still say i cant afford to buy pdf formats too . i download them from free ebook downloading sites .
So... you're saying you are an ebook thief?
Please say that isn't so... I am pretty sure you can get permanently banned from MobileRead for that.
MobileRead doesn't condone copyright infringement/ebook piracy/theft. See our Posting Guidelines, specifically #8 -- re: advocacy.

Quote:
i tried k2pdf and caliber and it didnt work for my mathematical books . i also used tablet for several years . its so exhaustive you cant read a book in tablet for one hour . you would fall asleep or get tired so soon . if the jb be released i cant read any math book i want on my pw3
If the jailbreak is released, you will be able to use KOReader -- which uses k2pdfopt to make PDFs more readable.
Old 01-21-2016, 03:23 PM   #43
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
- - - -

If the jailbreak is released, you will be able to use KOReader -- which uses k2pdfopt to make PDFs more readable.
What appears to be an alternative exists - -
Convert PDF to SVG (or svg/html5)
Both PDF and SVG are vector graphic formats so it is not impossible.

I have just been looking at some of the open source projects for converting scientific/medical/chemical subject pdf's.
Haven't tried any of them myself.

But the point is -
To keep things like those vector graphic equations, vector graphic (without trashing them into bitmaps).
Old 01-21-2016, 03:47 PM   #44
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
An obvious question springs to mind: why did you buy a Kindle if it's not suited for your needs?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 04:10 PM   #45
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
2.5 months since @Branch Delay's update, which I think suffices to explain why the clock reset.

As I said -- feel free to say he should've said enough is enough. (I am not so nice. I would've said back in October "sorry, you blew it, I'm releasing it now and maybe that will make you take it more seriously".)

A jailbreak is an entry point.
Once the jailbreak is installed, it is self-sufficient.
4 months since announcement that he had found new jailbreak method, and plans to release it after 30 days "grace period". I don't acknowledge any clock resets , since he stated that he had already contacted Amazon (ie he made them aware of the problem, the fact that Amazon then took sweet ass time/a month to send him first reply changes nothing in my book) before making the announcement.

When it was put on hold I knew then that it would be "spring at best" if left to Amazon's leisure. Now even that starts to look too optimistic , maybe never would be best estimate.

Luckily I was skeptical about "soon in October" jailbreak release so I've kept my PW1 instead of selling it because it's running KOreader (for reading non-fiction PDFs) ... until such time I can run KOreader on my PW3. Which now looks like it will be never.

About jailbreak/entry point statement: I know what jailbreak is :P I was talking about exploit(s) used for gaining jailbreak/tricking the framework to run the script. I can't think of differences between registered and used Kindle vs factory reset-ed Kindle but the difference in registered status, /mnt/us content and probably some files i /var/temp. So it makes me guess that it's something related to registration procedure and/or "handshake" & request/response between Amazon servers and device. If success of jailbreaks is dependent on something (data, procedures) on servers and Amazon fixes that hypothetical faults then there's no difference if Kindle is still on fw 5.6.5, not firmware updated.

Which all equals to all that wait for nothing gained.

p.s. I'm pessimist by nature.
Quote:
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised.

Last edited by shamanNS; 01-21-2016 at 04:14 PM.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote