Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 06-17-2008, 04:25 PM   #1
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Prediction: 300,000 MIDs will be sold this year

The Mobile Internet Device (MID) sits between cell phones and UMPC's. Forward Concepts projects 300K MIDs will be sold this year, most in the 3rd and 4th quarter with perhaps a couple of dozen new devices on the market. The important e-book related properties of a MID (as defined by Forward Concepts) are: 24-hr battery life, VGA 4"-6" color touch LCD screen, $300-600 low-mid price range. I'm not sure that even one device on the market today meets this criteria, with the Nokia N8X0 and perhaps some Windows Pocket PCs being closest.

For more details, see UMPC portal's Moblin, Millions of Netbooks and a strong position for Atom. and Electronics Supply and Manufacturing's Interview: Will Strauss of Forward Concepts on Mobile Internet Device (MID) study.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:36 PM   #2
manchuia
Connoisseur
manchuia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.manchuia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.manchuia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.manchuia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: In under a month I will have had both Sonys and a Kindle
The main problem is price. Very few of the MIDs will come into that range with a hardware set that will run Vista (OS of choice unless they are sporting Ubuntu Mobile (which is not completed yet)) or XP tablet well.

Then you get into the classic battle of needing better hardware to run the OS and then you have priced yourself right into new tablet pc territory where the MID lacks in hardware (again) and full usability (screen resolution, keyboard size, HD size / options, wireless options).

I am really looking forward to the MID market at the end of the year, but I think MIDs will end up like the EEE PC. Promised as a low cost alternative, but filled with a lot of devices that are just $100 - 200 too much for the average person to justify getting it (over a "real" machine).

The Nokia IT is the best example of a decently priced / spec'd MID, but the OS just annoys the ever loving crap out of me!
manchuia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2008, 03:28 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
If it runs Vista then in my book it is a UMPC, rather than a MID, and I agree that it isn't clear that UMPC's other than Mini-Notes have much of a future. If Mini-Notes can morph into convertible tablets over time without adding too much cost then perhaps these become the true UMPCs.

Intel coined the term MID for devices with Intel Atom inside, but, as defined by Forward Concepts, many MIDs will have ARM microprocessors which can only run Linux or Windows Mobile. There has been talk of Windows Mobile 7 being a much more serious competitor to Linux on MID's than the current Windows Mobile 6.1. Which Mobile Linux will be the best choice is also up in the air, with Google Android being one interesting option.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 12:02 AM   #4
bjkel
Connoisseur
bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Nook Color, Kobo, Kindle Voyage, Kobo Forma
I think MIDs sound really promising.

I currently read books on a Dell Axim, which I enjoy, the only thing is I would like a bigger screen 5 - 7 inch would be perfect. Would also prefer a longer battery life.

The thing that puts me off dedicated readers is no backlight.

A simple operating system like Windows Mobile or Windows CE would be fine as I like Mobipocket so could still use it. Also for it to have a SD card slot and be reasonably priced.

All I really want I guess is a larger Axim with more battery life.
bjkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 10:52 AM   #5
rmeister0
Addict
rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Part of what's funny about this whole MID/Netbook/low priced laptop thing is that this is exactly what the Foleo was about. It just got announced a year too early, and now Asus seems to be cleaning up and others are playing catch-up.

But 300,000 units?

I'm not one to make predictions about what Apple will do, but I know something I'd like to see...a clamshell like device running the iPhone/iPod Touch OS. Or, perhaps a clamshell with a screen, keyboard, and battery that your iPhone slides into, turning your i/device into a sub notebook.

Similar to Celio's Redfly.
rmeister0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2008, 12:20 PM   #6
Jack B Nimble
Groupie
Jack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enough

Device: Tapwave Zodiac, eBookwise 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmeister0 View Post
Part of what's funny about this whole MID/Netbook/low priced laptop thing is that this is exactly what the Foleo was about. It just got announced a year too early, and now Asus seems to be cleaning up and others are playing catch-up.
To some extent I agree. I was really looking forward to the Foleo at one point, as it appeared to finally be a good replacement for my old Psion Series 7. The problem for me was that it required (or they tried to require) the phone to really work, at least for some things. The unit had WiFi, but could not connect directly to send/receive email, for instance -- it had to go through the phone. That was only the integrated email, however, you could connect directly for webmail or a third-party email app. Silly.

IBM proposed a system a while back that involved a small unit that was the heart of a computer (CPU and memory/storage), but could be docked with different form factors (simple sleeve with a touch display for a handheld, a sub-notebook, or a mini-desktop), which would provide various interfaces as needed. There would be no need to sync various devices as you would always be using your own computer and data. If it used an eXecute In Place design with flash storage, you would not even need to reboot when you switched. Neat idea.

Jack
Jack B Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 12:41 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack B Nimble View Post
To some extent I agree. I was really looking forward to the Foleo at one point, as it appeared to finally be a good replacement for my old Psion Series 7.
Isn't the redfly (http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/redfly.asp) basically what Foleo was planning?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 12:50 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Isn't the redfly (http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/redfly.asp) basically what Foleo was planning?

BOb
Looks almost the same. Nice product but a little expensive.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote