Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 09-07-2013, 04:19 PM   #1
TemperThompson
TemperThompson began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Lightbulb What do you want in a Paranormal Ghost Story? (please help!)

I am a writer, about to start a new story to publish here on Amazon. It will be a scary, suspenseful ghost story.
My question is to you, the readers of Kinde!

WHAT DO YOU WANT IN A PARANORMAL GHOST STORY?
What is something you always love to have in a story of this type? What is your favorite part of it? What can make it good or ruin the story altogether for you? What is something you wished more stories had?

PLEASE submit all of your thoughts. I want to make an ebook that you will LOVE!
What makes you love a paranormal story above the others?

TemperThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:57 PM   #2
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Don't know if I can help, since I'm not into Ghost Stories so much as I am Urban Fantasies. But they do have ghosts in them. Sometimes. Not in any particular order...

I like buddy stories, teams that work together. I don't mind a bit of romance, but I don't read those that are mostly romance with some Fantasy in them. Don't try to straddle the fence, do one or the other.

I'm not into really grissly details, or prolong torture or suffering. I want the universe to be consistant. (If you say that ghosts can't cross water, then don't forget your own rule and have them chasing a victim across a river with no effect. Pay attention.)

I can't stand stupid characters. Fine if someone makes a stupid mistake, but if they do it over and over I'll give up on them. Have your characters keep their mind on what's going on. (In one story I read, a woman assassin was supposed to be a professional at her job, but wore unrealistic high heels and spent more time worrying that her thong was riding up than the fact her victim was coming into target range.)

Show, don't tell. Show us what your character is like, don't have them tell us in dialog or back story.

Have a story you want to tell your readers. Don't try to piece it together from bits you think will sell. Telling the story should come first.

Last edited by DuskyRose; 09-07-2013 at 06:14 PM. Reason: (And, certainly, spell better than I do.)
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2013, 06:43 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
This has been moved to the Writers' Forum.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:05 PM   #4
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I think stories where the ghost is implied more than seen through most of the story are spookier than where there is a clear ghost. It builds story suspense if the MC is under ever increasing tension as he/she wonders when they will be brought face to face with the ghost. Especially if the ghost isn't particularly friendly.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:27 PM   #5
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I enjoyed Joe Hill's "Heart Shaped Box" more for his living characters than for the ghost. I wish more stories, of all genres, were as character-driven.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2013, 12:03 AM   #6
Lazer
Groupie
Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Tension. Constant tension and something out of the box.
Lazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:56 AM   #7
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
I think it should have skinheads and football hooligans in it instead of the usual drippy characters you get in that type of book. And maybe the ghost of a hells angel who smacks people around the head with a bike chain. Or rides his bike over them while they're asleep in bed.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:56 PM   #8
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
I think it should have skinheads and football hooligans in it instead of the usual drippy characters you get in that type of book. And maybe the ghost of a hells angel who smacks people around the head with a bike chain. Or rides his bike over them while they're asleep in bed.

Some how even if you posted this anonymously I would have guessed you were the poster! LOL
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:07 AM   #9
bucsie
Connoisseur
bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I would never read a ghost story where there is a romantic entanglement between the ghost and another character. Even worse if they "get physical" (I have no idea how that would work, perhaps in a dream state?). Just stay away from that, please.

I would love a naughty ghost, not a bad/scary one, but one that occasionally pulls pranks on the living, or scares teenagers out of having a steamy encounter. Sort of the comic-relief partner of the main character. But with some possibility of it being incredibly scary and doing really bad stuff, if that's its fancy.
And then it would grow by going on some sort of quest and change into a better version of itself, and realising something like 'the more good stuff I do, the closer the door that gets me into the light appears' or some other sort of positive change.
bucsie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ghost, kindle, paranormal, story, writing advice