Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-16-2012, 08:15 AM   #166
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Can you guys please tell me which numbers you can see in the below picture?
5 and a boat. Now to check the answers....

Yes my answers were correct. And I took that long test you linked to, and all were correct except 2 of those were I didn't see the right block color combos in the multiple choice. So my color vision seems to be pretty good. I can't vouch for my monitor settings though LOL

Last edited by booklover6; 10-16-2012 at 08:58 AM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:50 AM   #167
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
5 and a boat. Now to check the answers....
A boat, an, Some people see a 5, some a 2:
Quote:
The individual with normal color vision will see a 5 revealed in the dot pattern.

An individual with Red/Green (the most common) color blindness will see a 2 revealed in the dots.
I know this seemed pretty obvious, but only IF you have good color vision.

In this thread, there seem to be three groups:
The smallest one sees very faint colors, and the larger two groups see either no colors at all, or the same colors in the same areas of the screen.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2012, 09:00 AM   #168
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Big improvement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I just wanted to show a relatively blank page.

After taking the pic, I saw that. It's not ghosting, it's part of the page.

Cranking up the light only makes it worse, but ok.

Here's 2nd try, by popular demand.
Level 24 definitely makes the faint pink areas less noticeable than level 16. Of course for many level 24 is too high. That's why I use level 22.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:07 AM   #169
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Illusions versus halucinations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
Of course you can. I've just spent a couple of weeks listening to people like sirmaru use this 'perception' verbiage, or outright tell us that we're all too picky/too demanding/too unrealistic/[unspoken: 'crazy'] when the freaking screens are PINK AND GREEN. I've always been a huge Amazon cheerleader and the amount of money I've given them over the years, both personally and professionally, is staggering. I'm not in this just to complain about some trivial issue online because I'm bored. I really wanted the item they advertised, and I keep hoping I'll eventually get one.
I never said that anyone had halucinations if they saw color blobs. Halucinations can only be seen by a single person and are definitely in one's mind.

In contrast, illusions can be seen exactly the same by large groups and can even be photographed. They are caused by distortions of light common in desert areas and large snow and ice areas. The flying saucer detections were samples of illusions. Many folks even published photos of the flying saucers.

Illusions can be seen in photos and halucinations cannot.

Many of us see those light distortions as faint color areas. Others see them as disturbing, bright color blobs.

In addition, since most Americans have one sort of eye disorder or another, that group may see things quite differently than those with perfect vision.

Also, all of us have different tolerance levels. What may be a barely visible color shade for me may be a disturbing, dark color blob for another.

What is odd with the Paperwhite is that these problems are occurring for a large group. They never occurred in the Kindle Keyboard 3 WiFi. However, it should be noted that many of us had shorting problems with the Kindle Kbd 3 for several months and others did not have that problem.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-16-2012 at 09:09 AM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:07 AM   #170
ultimatejimmy
Enthusiast
ultimatejimmy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle Paperwhite (coming soon)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I never said that anyone had halucinations if they saw color blobs. Halucinations can only be seen by a single person and are definitely in one's mind.

In contrast, illusions can be seen exactly the same by large groups and can even be photographed. They are caused by distortions of light common in desert areas and large snow and ice areas. The flying saucer detections were samples of illusions. Many folks even published photos of the flying saucers.

Illusions can be seen in photos and halucinations cannot.
If you look up the definition of "illusion" you get: "something that deceives by producing a false or misleading impression of reality." (dictionary.com)

This isn't an "illusion" because it is a physical trait that IS reality.

Those who are color blind or have a vision disorder do not see them due to their disorder. This doesn't mean those who have good vision are seeing illusions, it means the vision disorders/color blindness is causing reality to be invisible to those with the vision issues.

Also, by the way, here are some synonyms of "illusion" :
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesaurus.com
apparition, bubble*, chimera, confusion, daydream, deception, delusion, déjè vu, error, fallacy, false impression, fancy, fantasy, figment of imagination, fool's paradise, ghost, hallucination, head trip, hocus-pocus, idolism, ignus fatuus, image, invention, make-believe, mirage, misapprehension, misbelief, misconception, misimpression, mockery, myth, optical illusion, paramnesia, phantasm, pipe dream, rainbow*, seeming, semblance, trip*, virtual reality
Note that "hallucination" is included.
ultimatejimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2012, 10:57 AM   #171
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
What is odd with the Paperwhite is that these problems are occurring for a large group. They never occurred in the Kindle Keyboard 3 WiFi.
Because the K3 didn't have the light layer that is causing the issue.
Not very odd.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:34 PM   #172
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
I'm sorry William, but that's EXACTLY how my Paperwhite looks in the dark, if I have the light level set that low.

I tried to get pictures, but my camera sucks.

Shari
I'm going to guess your monitor isn't calibrated, then, because that picture is seriously green/blue.
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:32 PM   #173
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
I'm going to guess your monitor isn't calibrated, then, because that picture is seriously green/blue.
I didn't say it wasn't green/blue. I said that this is what my Paperwhite looks like in a dark room if I put the light level at 5, like it is in the picture. Personally, I can't stand it at that light level--I leave it at 11 when I'm reading in a dark room

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:02 AM   #174
gosmo
gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I just got replacement #2. It is probably the best of all 3, color-splotch wise. It still has some shades of pink but they blend into the screen much better, they are far less pronounced. But now I got a tiny pin hole! It's only really annoying at full brightness, barely noticeable at dark room levels.

It's definitely not what I expected when I pre ordered this product, I never seen so many variances in brand new replacements. That said, it is still far better than using external lights at night.

I'm beginning to have guilt on the environmental impact of producing multiple Kindles, shipping them back and fourth through the country by Air - just so I can exchange a pin hole problem for a worse color splotch problem. For that reason alone I will keep concede and keep this Kindle. Amazon needs to step up their QC.
gosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:20 PM   #175
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
I just received my paperwhite today and I see many of the same issues that the "naysayers" see.

My initial review would be 3 stars, mainly because the pw somehow loses something in translation compared to the KT (K5 if you prefer). But I had the touch with the case light. The case light was horrid. Hated it. Worst reading light ever. So the PW is able to be read in many light scenarios that is the beautiful thing about it.

The comparison to the K4B with book light wasnt exactly fair. Slap a booklight to the PW and turn down the light and you should see a comparable ereader (not a better mind you). turn the light up a tad for a better experience.

So far my pw does ok in no light, and low light, and superbly in medium to high ambient light. I havent seen any colorish blobs (but do see some dark spots and havent looked very hard) The fonts dont look as crisp as I would like, but nonetheless I am going to keep it and hope for a resolution in the coming months.

I would post pictures, but I am scared you guys would sabotage my thinking of the pw so I couldnt read with it anymore
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:31 PM   #176
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
I just received my paperwhite today and I see many of the same issues that the "naysayers" see.

I would post pictures, but I am scared you guys would sabotage my thinking of the pw so I couldnt read with it anymore
I can see how you wouldn't want your perception of your screen to change! Sometimes, igorance is bliss

Glad you are happy with our unit, that's really all that matters.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:17 PM   #177
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
Yep, if you're happy with it, *don't* post pictures.

I'm sworn to silence on any defects I see (to him, anyway) when my SO's PW arrives tomorrow.
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:50 PM   #178
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Ha, I agree, in this case ignorance really is bliss. I'm glad you're happy, volwrath.

Quote:
I'm sworn to silence on any defects I see (to him, anyway) when my SO's PW arrives tomorrow.
Make sure to let us know though. I keep hoping things mysteriously get better, even though in reality I know only new hardware can fix the color hue issues. Either way, I hope your SO is happy with his PW.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:27 AM   #179
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Yep, if you're happy with it, *don't* post pictures.

This is a funny sentence. Are you waiting for a Kindle Special Offers, or do you have a Special Offer man at home ?
(I guess you have a significant other waiting for his PW, but I wish they had special offer men. You know, the ones that cook, clean the house, get up at night when the baby is crying, get up at night when the teenager needs a ride home, get up at night when needed in general. The list being long, as a matter of fact probably endless, I'll stop here).

Last edited by aceflor; 10-18-2012 at 12:30 AM.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:49 AM   #180
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
Ha, I agree, in this case ignorance really is bliss. I'm glad you're happy, volwrath.
Thank you all, thank you all In all honesty, its certainly not perfect, hence my rating of 3 stars. I think PW2 probably will be what we all hoped this one would be.
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote