Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-06-2012, 08:36 AM   #31
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
Whenever I visit someones home the first thing I look for are what reading material they have around. The last guy I dated I actually met at Borders (now gone). I think what is more important for me is he has to like cats. I have three and they are my children.

Last edited by pagansoul; 09-06-2012 at 08:43 AM.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:42 AM   #32
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Wonder if it is a female predilection? When I've mentioned this to my girlfriends they unanimously nod their heads in understanding. Maybe it is some unconscious selection process for the future father of our children? Once women have children, perhaps they care less?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2012, 08:44 AM   #33
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Once women have children, perhaps they care less?
that could also be said for the men
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:50 AM   #34
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Wonder if it is a female predilection? When I've mentioned this to my girlfriends they unanimously nod their heads in understanding. Maybe it is some unconscious selection process for the future father of our children? Once women have children, perhaps they care less?
i'm a guy and i wouldn't date/marry a non-reading girl.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:58 AM   #35
nookkatz
Tuxedo Cats!
nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks and iThings
There's always the possibility that a non-reader would object to the time that a reader spends reading, too. I saw that happen with my sister (the reader) and her husband.

I wouldn't date a non-reader, and he'd definitely have to love cats.
nookkatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2012, 09:02 AM   #36
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.
DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Touch, Paperwhite, Sony, and Nook.
Interesting. I find that I am seldom attracted in a "want to be in a relationship sense" to any woman who doesn't read. Being a guy, I have had brief relationships based on other things that appeal, but with one exception they didn't last for very long. The one exception lasted a little over two years - I was obsessed with her but we had so little in common that it eventually disintegrated. She owned no books and had only read three in her adult life that were not associated with her career. I have also noticed that all of my longer term relationship were with women who liked puzzles, particularly cryptic crosswords.

We all have likes and dislikes and need at least some of those to be reflected in a long term partner. As long as the personal tastes of a partner aren't too disparate we can generally get along. For instance I couldn't live with anyone who wanted to play RAP/HipHop in my hearing, but I don't mind if they aren't as fond of Jazz or classic Rock as I am.
DarkScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:04 AM   #37
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookkatz View Post
I wouldn't date a non-reader, and he'd definitely have to love cats.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:04 AM   #38
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Have any of you guys ever dated readers who were simply too full of themselves? i mean, that because they were readers they considered themselves as intellectuals and better than everyone else...?
Old 09-06-2012, 09:06 AM   #39
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
You couldn't have liked him much if that was all that it took for you to make such a sharp exit.

Personally, I'd be far more concerned if he hated dogs or cats than if he didn't read. Non-reader would probably be on the list somewhere though.... if I actually had a list that is.

In saying that, I have an uncle who doesn't like reading at all (his wife is an avid reader), but he's a charming and intelligent guy and he and his wife are 30-years happily married.

Edit for a follow-up to wyndslash's post, a guy who considered himself better than everyone else because they are 'well-read' is possibly more of a turn-off than someone who doesn't read. Arrogance, superiority, they would definitely be on my list!

Last edited by soulfuldog; 09-06-2012 at 09:14 AM.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:08 AM   #40
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
Have any of you guys ever dated readers who were simply too full of themselves? i mean, that because they were readers they considered themselves as intellectuals and better than everyone else...?
Nope.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:14 AM   #41
wyndslash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post

Edit for a follow-up to wyndslash's post, a guy who considered himself better than everyone else because they are 'well-read' is possibly more of a turn-off than someone who doesn't read. Arrogance, superiority, they would definitely be on my list!
very true. it's just that i seem to run into a lot of those types of guys here. it's quite annoying.

ah well, when your first requirement is no PMS, that really cuts the numbers down to size
Old 09-06-2012, 09:14 AM   #42
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
When looking at potential marriage material, yes a lack of books would be a big problem. (and I have mentioned this before, but my now-husband actually tricked me in this way! When I first went to his apartment, he had TONS of books, literary and otherwise. It turns out, he has finished hardly any of them. Ha ha.)

HOWEVER, it doesn't sound like you were looking for marriage-material in your rendezvous. I can't say that a lack of books would bother me, in that case? Maybe you have higher standards than me.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:30 AM   #43
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagansoul View Post
Whenever I visit someones home the first thing I look for are what reading material they have around. The last guy I dated I actually met at Borders (now gone). I think what is more important for me is he has to like cats. I have three and they are my children.
I read and like cats. In fact, I'm like a cat. Majority of the time, I like to be left alone. I'll rub up against you when I feel affectionate, but if you get too frisky, I'll run away.

I'm also tall, dark, and umm, that's it.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:38 AM   #44
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
I think the real turn-off would be someone who scorns reading for pleasure.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:31 AM   #45
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I have to admit I meet very few true non-readers who stimulate me. My current GF is probably the least-frequent reader I've dated (yet still has maybe 40 linear feet of stuffed bookshelves). She makes up for it with as much enthusiasm for edged weapons and devices that go bang as I have.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote