Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-27-2012, 01:37 PM   #106
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post

The way I read it, is that you'll get charged for a download for each device you put them on. So if you have a book on a Kindle Touch, a Kindle Fire, a desktop, a laptop, and an iPhone; you'll get charged for 5 of your 8 downloads.
If that is the case (and I can't verify that it is), then they really have no business queueing them to download to all of my Kindle devices automatically, when all I wanted to do was send them to my archive to download as I see fit.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:38 PM   #107
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by plib View Post
So, if you've been backing up your Calibre Library, reading device etc. Stop. Now!
I suppose that also means putting the ebooks on my Nook's SD card is also illegal.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2012, 01:38 PM   #108
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I read it as 8 licenses.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:39 PM   #109
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I had really hoped that these wouldn't have any geo-restrictions on them. Anyone in the US figured out a way to buy the UK versions?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:40 PM   #110
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
If that is the case (and I can't verify that it is), then they really have no business queueing them to download to all of my Kindle devices automatically, when all I wanted to do was send them to my archive to download as I see fit.
Check to see which of your devices you have the books physically on and then see how many downloads you have remaining on your Pottermore account.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2012, 01:47 PM   #111
soulsteelgray
soulsteelgray began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
She could have sold the books trhough Amazon, BN, Sony, Kobo (I see that they did not work a deal with Kobo by the way), and other stores without giving up any of her rights. There was no need to sell through her own store other than her desire to be more controlling then needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsteelgray
Was it a little extreme to have Pottermore be the go-to source to purchase the Harry Potter books? Sure; after all, Reznor's post-Interscope works are available on iTunes and Amazon. But Reznor also hasn't set up something the likes of Pottermore where it's ostensibly supposed to be the Harry Potter site.
Also, who's to say that the prices wouldn't be even higher if the publishers had retained control over the ebooks? We'll never know, but I think it's a fine deal for the ebooks to sell for less than MSRP on their paperback counterparts--even if you can get them for less on Amazon because they're discounting them off the wholesale price anyways. I'm more willing to pay for an ebook through an author's direct pricing model than a publisher's pricing model. Have we forgotten the horrors of the agency model already?

Quote:
Yes... because what I really want to do every time I want to buy a book is go to a new web site and set up a new account and enter name, email, home address, credit card details, and come up with a new password that I have to keep track of. That makes so much more sense for me as a consumer.
Notice I did not support authors solely distributing their ebooks through direct sell. Rather, what I advocated was allowing authors to choose how to distribute their work without publisher interference. Some authors may want to only do direct sell, others may be a little freer with third parties. I leave it up to the authors to decide, even at the cost of consumer ease, because it's their work.
soulsteelgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:51 PM   #112
Jean
Zealot
Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm tx / Kindle 1 / ebookwise 1150 / Kindle Fire / Kindle Paperwhite
A person on the Amazon forums figured out a way to purchase a UK version of the books if you live in the US:

Quote:

OK. I was able to figure out how to buy the UK version of the HP books when you have a US account. You will need 2 Pottermore Store accounts. You will need your main US one to buy the book and a second UK one to get the books. So you will need 2 e-mail addresses.

1) Set up your main US account. This one will be where you buy the GB version.

2) Change the Book Language to English(GB). Not the site language, the book language.

3) You won't be able to use the buy button. Use the gift link just below the buy button.

4) Send the gift to yourself at a different e-mail address. Use UK as that gift recipients country.

5) You can now check out as normal using your US credit card.

6) Set up a second Pottermore Store account with the other email address, but this time select UK as the country of residence.

7) You will get the gift code in that email account you set when you bought the gift. Use that code to accept the gift in your second Pottermore account.

8) You will now have the UK version of the book. Go ahead and link your Amazon account and send it off to your Kindle. Even though it's a US Amazon account it works just fine. You will get Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/r...DiscussionsNew
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:59 PM   #113
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsteelgray View Post
Notice I did not support authors solely distributing their ebooks through direct sell. Rather, what I advocated was allowing authors to choose how to distribute their work without publisher interference. Some authors may want to only do direct sell, others may be a little freer with third parties. I leave it up to the authors to decide, even at the cost of consumer ease, because it's their work.
And what about the crazypants authors who believe that selling legal ebooks = piracy, when in fact the reverse is more likely to be true?

Look, they have the right not to sell the digital rights at all, of course. But if the publishers insist on it as part of making a deal to publish in the first place, that's between authors and publishers. My only interest as a consumer is in what you call "consumer ease" and any author who decides it's not important makes that decision at her own peril.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:02 PM   #114
whitearrow
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Check to see which of your devices you have the books physically on and then see how many downloads you have remaining on your Pottermore account.
As far as I can tell it's not having any impact on the number of downloads remaining at Pottermore. It really would be extraordinary if Amazon agreed to push this data back and forth.

That said, I'm still annoyed I wasn't allowed to choose which devices I wanted the books sent to.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:04 PM   #115
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
We have partnered with the following services to make it easy to send your Harry Potter eBook to your account. (Subject to reading service availability in your country.)
  • Sony Reader online account (US and Canadian based customers only)
  • Amazon Kindle (available in most countries)
  • Barnes & Noble NOOK (US and Canadian based customers only)
  • Google Play (This service is currently available in Australia, Canada, the United Kingdom, and the United States)
That is crap. That means that I am forced to get the Kindle version and then have to convert to ePUB. Why oh why?
I really dislike geo-restrictions.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:05 PM   #116
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
As far as I can tell it's not having any impact on the number of downloads remaining at Pottermore.
That's good. Then I wonder what they consider a download to be?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:08 PM   #117
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
That is crap. That means that I am forced to get the Kindle version and then have to convert to ePUB. Why oh why?
You can download an epub directly from the Pottermore site.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:13 PM   #118
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
If you can buy the "kindle version" you can get an epub as well. The sales aren't done through Amazon, their done at the Pottermore site. Can't say if their restricted for your country or not though.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:15 PM   #119
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Someone on Kindle Boards posted that they were not able to buy them in Canada. So they appear to be georestricted.

Which makes no freaking sense.
And I know someone in Canada who said he was able to get the US version in ePub. So really, they are for sale in Canada.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:20 PM   #120
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash
Someone on Kindle Boards posted that they were not able to buy them in Canada. So they appear to be georestricted.

Which makes no freaking sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And I know someone in Canada who said he was able to get the US version in ePub. So really, they are for sale in Canada.
Great! So you can buy the Kindle ePub in Canada?
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote