Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-27-2012, 12:03 PM   #76
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Amazon directs you to Pottermore to buy them.
Do you read what others are saying? Your last posts have repeated other folks have already posted
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:06 PM   #77
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
It seems I'm the only one who feels the price is a little high, and even I paid it.
I agree about the high prices too. I'll wait for the library versions; which are still not showing.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2012, 12:10 PM   #78
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Weird, in Canada the ebooks that are available to me are the UK ones, and the audiobooks are the US ones.

Last edited by Synamon; 03-27-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:12 PM   #79
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Do you read what others are saying? Your last posts have repeated other folks have already posted
Didn't you know? It's only true when he says it.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:20 PM   #80
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
It seems I'm the only one who feels the price is a little high, and even I paid it.
Hardly.
Nate the great think's it's outrageous.
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...ve/#more-32035

Plenty of others, too, no doubt.

Their US pricing ($8-10) is "merely" competitive, especially for DRM-free epubs from traditional publishers but way better than the $12.99 baseline for the Price Fix scam.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2012, 12:22 PM   #81
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
So are the other languages coming soon or are they only going to be available in their respective countries?
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:22 PM   #82
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You try to buy from Amazon and you are directed to Pottermore. And the prices are all the same. There is no discount from Amazon. It's not true that you get a discount at Amazon.
Not right now.
As I already said *twice* they changed it afterwards.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:29 PM   #83
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Or build the site to handle getting hammered. It is frustrating when you try to get in through Amazon, Pottermore, and a direct link and still cannot.
Unfortunately, that means that after the first couple of days, when traffic drops, you've spent a lot more money than you need to on resources you'll never need again. It's a delicate balance. From the comments here, I'm guessing they did a pretty good job. It's not completely down, after all.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:32 PM   #84
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by odiakkoh View Post
So are the other languages coming soon or are they only going to be available in their respective countries?
From the site:

Quote:
What languages are the Harry Potter eBooks and digital audio books available in?

Harry Potter eBooks and digital audio books are currently available in English (US) and English (UK).

French, German, Spanish and Italian language eBooks will be available soon, and many further languages will follow. Digital audio books in German and Italian will also be available shortly.
No idea of course whether this means that anyone could buy them or whether they'll be geo-restricted as the US/UK versions currently are.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:33 PM   #85
Nahgem
Groupie
Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks
Quote:
The prices are fine. They are lower then what I thought they would be.
Me too. I was expecting closer to $9.99 for the first three and $11.99 for the last four.

Now, greedy Potterhead that I am, my next question is: are they going to release Beedle the Bard, Fantastic Beasts, and Quidditch Through the Ages too? I'd love to have those in epub as well -- especially Beedle. I don't really consider my reading of the series complete if I can't read Beedle right afterward.
Nahgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:34 PM   #86
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
So I'm pretty much the lone voice here, but personally, it seems like a lot of hassle to go through to maximize profit for an author who's already made an estimated $1 billion on her books.

I think she should have just sold the dang ebooks through normal channels (and a long time ago, to boot).

But I'm glad that the Potter enthusiasts have a legal way to get their ebooks now, even if it is a rather circuitous journey.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:36 PM   #87
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
So I'm pretty much the lone voice here, but personally, it seems like a lot of hassle to go through to maximize profit for an author who's already made an estimated $1 billion on her books.

I think she should have just sold the dang ebooks through normal channels (and a long time ago, to boot).

But I'm glad that the Potter enthusiasts have a legal way to get their ebooks now, even if it is a rather circuitous journey.
100% agree. I seriously doubt I will be buying any of her future work. She has jerked her fans along for far too long to bring me back into the fold.

I am buying these books because I wil not be a theif and steal her work. Now that she has made it available, I will purchase it because it is the right thing to do but that is the only reason why. These books should have been available as e-books ages ago and should be available through normal channels.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:38 PM   #88
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yapyap View Post
From the site:
No idea of course whether this means that anyone could buy them or whether they'll be geo-restricted as the US/UK versions currently are.
Thanks

Looks like I'm better off just buying pbooks.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:38 PM   #89
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Someone on Kindle Boards posted that they were not able to buy them in Canada. So they appear to be georestricted.

Which makes no freaking sense.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:44 PM   #90
CallOfCth'reader
Cultist
CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo, Kobo Forma, Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post

Perhaps it isn't about maximizing profits (on her part, at least), but about her feeling that she needed to do it in a way she felt comfortable with? We can all guess about her motives for delaying.

Selling different formats separately, instead of the way it's been done, would have been maximizing profits.
CallOfCth'reader is offline   Reply With Quote