Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-07-2011, 03:09 AM   #1
sonyreaderfan
Groupie
sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader Prs 950, iPad
Sony #1 brand in Asia

Saw this over Fourth of July:

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-...04-702413.html

"Oodles of noodles nearly toppled one of the largest consumer electronic brands in the world in a new survey of the most valued brands in Asia.

MasterKong, an instant noodles brand, ranked second only to Sony in a survey conducted by TNS, a market research firm, of the most valued brands in China.

Sony also topped the rankings for Asia overall, despite losses of more than $3.2 billion over the last fiscal year and compromising the PlayStation accounts of more than 100 million customers in April when its network's security was breached."

What does this mean for their ereaders? For US, don't know.

But Sony have very big ambition for their ereaders in Japan. They want to be the #1 ereader in Japan. Seeing how in Japan people are willing to pay for intricate engineering and Japan brands (cf. no one buys Xbox in Japan), Sony has a good chance of sustaining the ereader market in Japan.
sonyreaderfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:43 AM   #2
TedJ
Groupie
TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: Kobo Touch
Hey, I'd be tempted to buy a Sony ereader in Australia if they were a little cheaper and you could actually find one. I'm guessing each one is machined out of a single unicorn, like an even more magical macbook pro.
TedJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2011, 03:52 AM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedJ View Post
Hey, I'd be tempted to buy a Sony ereader in Australia if they were a little cheaper and you could actually find one. I'm guessing each one is machined out of a single unicorn, like an even more magical macbook pro.
And the leftovers don't go to waste

tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:55 AM   #4
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
I've ordered one from the Perth Sony store, even managed to get a pink one although it think it might have been the last in captivity. And a matching pink cover with light. it's more than I wanted to spend but at least I can actually handle it before I buy. I've only put down $20 so if I decide it's a complete dud I'll walk away but I don't think that's going to happen.
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 04:07 AM   #5
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
I can't do anything about the price, but I bought mine from the Myer store in Launceston.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2011, 09:50 AM   #6
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
^ Just in case any of you were wondering:

And no, it won't read MOBI
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:06 AM   #7
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
DO NOT BUY THE UNICORN MEAT! If you could see the massive unicorn farms where these poor animals are raised, it would turn your stomach.

I've also seen the farms where Master Kong grows its noodles, and they are a miracle of modern agriculture. From the vast noodle fields to the monster harvesters, it is an awe-inspiring sight.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:05 PM   #8
Joonbug1
Groupie
Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
As a previous Sony fan, I have to sadly say that their general quality has drastically slipped. No, plummeted in the past 10 years. Their products nowadays usually lemon-out in one way or another, sometimes not even after the warranty expires. They used to be such a trusted brand in my eyes, too...
Joonbug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:31 PM   #9
Polyglot27
Addict
Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Archos 80 G9, Sony PRS-650, Sony T1, Asus MemoPad.
I used to avoid Sony products because they used proprietary Memory Sticks instead of standard SD cards. But now they all take standard SD cards. The result is that I have their latest ebook readers (reason: They have two way inbuilt dictionaries for the major European languages), their digital camera (reason: they are the only ones that can take panoramas painlessly), and their MP3 player (reason: they have a special language learning function where you can make it repeat a phrase over and over very easily, and a built in noise cancelling function that works). Workmanship-wise they seem pretty well designed and built so I have no complaints.
Polyglot27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 04:07 PM   #10
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
... like an even more magical macbook pro.
Is that even possible?
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:04 PM   #11
sonyreaderfan
Groupie
sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader Prs 950, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joonbug1 View Post
As a previous Sony fan, I have to sadly say that their general quality has drastically slipped. No, plummeted in the past 10 years. Their products nowadays usually lemon-out in one way or another, sometimes not even after the warranty expires. They used to be such a trusted brand in my eyes, too...
Hmm, is that right? I haven't made a recent major purchase that's Sony, except for the Sony Reader Daily Edition. Hope it doesn't lemon out.

Here's how my major electronic appliance purchases fare:
1999 - Sony Trinitron TV (CRT tube) -- still working and used daily as a secondary TV. Amazing.
1999 - Sony DVD player -- still working
2005 - Panasonic Recordable DVD player -- broke in 2009
2008 - Acquos LCD tv - still working
2005 - Onkyo receiver -- broke in 2006 but it was repaired for free because it was a documented manufacturer's fault. Still works.

My parents:
went through 3 various no name dvd players (made in China) in 6 years.
2002 - Pioneer Rear Projection TV - broke at least 3 times. They have a repairman come to repair each time for around $250. (I told them to get a new TV but they wouldn't.)

So Sony is reliable for me compare to other manufacturers. But it was old purchases. Haven't bought any blu-ray stuff yet, but is Sony's good or bad? What's the quality of the PS3? Considering buying that.

What are some Sony products that lemoned out?

Last edited by sonyreaderfan; 07-07-2011 at 06:09 PM.
sonyreaderfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 04:17 PM   #12
roseprose
roseprose can eat soup with a fork.roseprose can eat soup with a fork.roseprose can eat soup with a fork.roseprose can eat soup with a fork.roseprose can eat soup with a fork.roseprose can eat soup with a fork.roseprose can eat soup with a fork.roseprose can eat soup with a fork.roseprose can eat soup with a fork.roseprose can eat soup with a fork.roseprose can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sony prs-950 daily edition
For their own sake, Sony better offer the Japanese better customer support for those ereader buyers than what they offer in the US! My daily edition 950 lemoned out in its 7th month, and dealing with their Loredo "replacement" crew has been a nightmare. They're quick to send off "refurbished" models that have never been refurbished, then quick to hang up the phone if one objects. They are so corrupt that the Texas Attorney General's office really ought to investigate--really. Never will I buy another Sony product.
roseprose is offline   Reply With Quote