Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-07-2011, 08:43 AM   #1
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
kindle wifi is active on sleep mode

I connect my kindle3 to windows 7 through virtual router on which I can see whether kindle is connected. Interestingly kindle is still connected on its sleep mode!... which means that wireless is on and power consuming which is , at least for me, a problem. Is it general? A way to fix this?
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:02 AM   #2
grumpy3b
Banned
grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle 2 (x2), Kindle 1, a couple old PDAs
delete the routers active connection log then check it again. The most likely thing is the lease on the connection has not expired when you checked the log. I've seen this on every network I've worked on. Sometimes the device is actually still actively connected but others the device can be completely off and it will still show in the log. Even deleting the log and waiting for the router to rebuild a new connection log might not remove it because of the lease expiry time has not yet been reached.
grumpy3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2011, 09:02 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
It's no secret that there's still minimal wireless activity when in sleep mode. Although I suspect what you're seeing in Virtual Router is simply the Kindle's DHCP lease--which has not expired yet, and does not necessarily mean "connected." If you're only worried about power consumption, the simplest (and most widely used) solution is to only turn wireless on when you're going to need wireless. The rest of the time, simply turn wireless off.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:03 PM   #4
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipA82 View Post
[QUOTE ]delete the routers active connection log then check it again.

Also my suggestion!
I don't know where the log is but when I close wifi of kindle, its DHCP disappears on router. but When I make sleep it w/o closing wifi it remains. This implies that wifi doesn't close when it is in sleep mode. However it is not a big problem as DiapDealer said. I just wonder if there is a solution.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:15 PM   #5
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
I don't know where the log is but when I close wifi of kindle, its DHCP disappears on router. but When I make sleep it w/o closing wifi it remains. This implies that wifi doesn't close when it is in sleep mode. However it is not a big problem as DiapDealer said. I just wonder if there is a solution.
I'm quite sure it does turn off after sleep. However, there is a timer set so that it pings the Amazon servers for updates every so often.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2011, 09:23 PM   #6
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kranu View Post
I'm quite sure it does turn off after sleep.
If you are so sure then ok. But there is one more thing: You can check that after sleep/awake wifi is still connected. If ıt was as you're said it should first try to connect.( a time taking process like a connection after user terminated one. If you're in US you maybe can not detect (since a possible auto connection. I'm not in US and in here it wait me to choose a hot point.)) But as I said above it is not problem for me anymore.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:01 PM   #7
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
I have received updates while the kindle was asleep with the wireless on. Amazon always tells people that this is what happens.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:32 PM   #8
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Okay, while a bit off-topic, how can I tell what devices (kindle, Blackberry, netbook) are using the wifi on my router? Clearly, the thread suggests that there is a way to tell what devices are actively on my router. My computer is hardwired but the other devices would be using the wifi.

And sought of back on topic - my wifi only kindle never gets books that I've purchased while it is sleeping. I've checked a number of times. The books are not there when first awakened but the indicator arrow rotates when I turn it on and "download items" shows up and books start arriving. Now whether it turns on at other times for some quick housekeeping (or spying) I don't know.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:51 PM   #9
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
Okay, while a bit off-topic, how can I tell what devices (kindle, Blackberry, netbook) are using the wifi on my router? Clearly, the thread suggests that there is a way to tell what devices are actively on my router. My computer is hardwired but the other devices would be using the wifi.

And sought of back on topic - my wifi only kindle never gets books that I've purchased while it is sleeping. I've checked a number of times. The books are not there when first awakened but the indicator arrow rotates when I turn it on and "download items" shows up and books start arriving. Now whether it turns on at other times for some quick housekeeping (or spying) I don't know.
You need the IP address of your router. The most common one is 192.168.1.1. If that is not it, you can find it on your computer under Default Gateway. Enter the IP Address into the location bar on your browser, and you should be prompted for a username and password. This is probably listed on your router or your instruction manual, unless you change it. Once you're logged in, there is probably a "status" page that shows what devices were connected.

(See the attachment for a screenshot of where you could find the IP address on Windows Vista/7)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	308
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	69728  

Last edited by kranu; 04-09-2011 at 10:55 PM.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:56 PM   #10
kranu
I <3 my Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
If you are so sure then ok. But there is one more thing: You can check that after sleep/awake wifi is still connected. If ıt was as you're said it should first try to connect.( a time taking process like a connection after user terminated one. If you're in US you maybe can not detect (since a possible auto connection. I'm not in US and in here it wait me to choose a hot point.)) But as I said above it is not problem for me anymore.
As I said earlier, it takes time before it turns off. Don't just read the first sentence of my post and start attacking it
Old 04-10-2011, 10:11 AM   #11
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kranu View Post
Don't just read the first sentence of my post and start attacking it
apologizes...Actually I didn't want to make just attacking. I'm aware of that you're trying to help me. Sorry to lead to this misunderstanding.

you're right that wifi function stops after a while.

Last edited by thomass; 04-11-2011 at 04:01 PM.