Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-07-2010, 02:35 PM   #16
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
I got to about the third paragraph on her article before I gave up. Absolutely overly sentimental claptrap.
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:44 PM   #17
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
And so it should be. It really makes me wonder, all these writers that are so outspoken against ebooks, do they only feel validated when they see their work printed on a paper book? Don't their words have any value of their own? You'd think they would find their words more valuable than the package of their words.
Well to be fair, many readers do not simply read books like novels because of the words therein, and many consider the reading medium a part of the atmosphere within the "reading experience". It is not simply about processing content, but about spending time. As such, some people most enjoy reading in a certain atmosphere, whether that's a cafe, a library, a dedicated reading room, a patio, or some other location. Some will not read at all in certain unpleasant environments.

Not everyone plays the piano to just hear the music they are playing. That may be part of it, but the experience of playing at a nice piano in a nice room with a nice atmosphere is so much more pleasurable for some. Logical? Not really, but most fiction reading isn't that logical or useful either.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2010, 02:52 PM   #18
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
No, I can see what you're saying. I too prefer to be in a pleasant environment to read. The medium on which I read does not really make a difference, except maybe in the beginning, before you start reading. That's the only time you may enjoy the feel and smell and whatnot of the book, the anticipation while opening the cover. Afterwards, I'm so deep in my book that I don't care about the medium or the environment, I'm not even aware of it, except when it's too distracting (and sometimes paper books you can't keep open for instance can be quite distracting). Anyway, anyone has every right to enjoy their reading/music and general leisure as they please. I have no problems with that. I just can't take another "this is not a real book" comment.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:54 PM   #19
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
No, I can see what you're saying. I too prefer to be in a pleasant environment to read. The medium on which I read does not really make a difference, except maybe in the beginning, before you start reading. That's the only time you may enjoy the feel and smell and whatnot of the book, the anticipation while opening the cover. Afterwards, I'm so deep in my book that I don't care about the medium or the environment, I'm not even aware of it, except when it's too distracting (and sometimes paper books you can't keep open for instance can be quite distracting). Anyway, anyone has every right to enjoy their reading/music and general leisure as they please. I have no problems with that. I just can't take another "this is not a real book" comment.
So you're projecting your own limits on others because they want something you don't need? Reminds me of the people who try to tear down people who want faster displays (e.g. me) because they don't need to read faster.

As far as the "it's not a real book" thing is concerned, I agree with it. Ebooks are not real books, just the same as websites are not real books until they are printed and bound.

Last edited by LDBoblo; 01-07-2010 at 02:56 PM.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:56 PM   #20
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by sianon View Post
I got to about the third paragraph on her article before I gave up. Absolutely overly sentimental claptrap.
I love paragraph six where she bemoans the (supposed) fate of dedications. Yeah. Right. Let me see now... Yep, at least two hundred of my current selection of ebooks have dedications. Guess it really doesn't take much intelligence to write columns like that...

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2010, 02:57 PM   #21
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

@LDBoblo
Not at all!
I said clearly that anyone can enjoy whatever they want.
I just don't like others telling me it's not a real book I'm reading and I'm missing out on something just because it's an ebook and not a paper book. I didn't try to take the paper books off the hands of anyone.
I hope I was clear on that.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:56 PM   #22
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I just don't like others telling me it's not a real book I'm reading and I'm missing out on something just because it's an ebook and not a paper book.
But it isn't, and you are. The fact that you don't care doesn't make it any less true.

Perhaps it won't always be so... but eBooks still have ways to go and ways to grow before they become sane alternatives to paper books (as opposed to just paper novels).

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:03 PM   #23
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Unlike her, I have enough respect for paper books to NOT "dogear" their pages.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:18 PM   #24
omk3
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
But it isn't, and you are. The fact that you don't care doesn't make it any less true.
You are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine.
You say "It isn't a real book" - If I wanted to continue this discussion I'd ask you to define "real book", but I don't really. I can see an argument without end coming, and it is more philosophical than practical anyway.
You say "I'm missing out on something." But I have read books on old paper, new paper, hardcover, paperback, computer screen and e-ink screen, and I don't think I'm missing out on anything, I'm actually enjoying increased convenience.
I'm speaking as an individual here. Others, you included, may well have other opinions. I don't really understand why it's a problem for anyone that I am quite satisfied with ebooks as they are.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:59 PM   #25
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Those who read nothing but books are missing out on the physical satisfaction that comes from rolling through a good scroll.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 01-07-2010 at 05:47 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:45 PM   #26
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
For me, the best part of the article was in the comments section where someone quotes Stephen Fry - "Books are no more threatened by Kindle than stairs by elevators". I hadn't heard that one before.

I googled "Gabriella Coslovich" and found a brutal response to another contentious article she wrote in the AGE - this article was her pouty annoyance at receiving a fine for travelling on public transport without a valid ticket. Be warned, if you click on the link below, it contains extremely coarse language.

http://blog.andyblume.com/?p=3055
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:55 PM   #27
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Those who read nothing but books are missing out on the physical satisfaction that comes from rolling through a good scroll.
There's nothing like reading a book on parchment lovingly hand copied by a monk using a fountain pen. Anything since the printing press isn't really a book.... grumble.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:57 PM   #28
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
The downside of old, smelly, abused paper books:

I worked in a major Australian library for ten years. Most of that time involved old newspapers. I'm talking 1700's onwards. For the entire ten years I had bad acne and oily skin. When I quit, my skin cleared up. I'm convinced it was caused by the fibres and dust and fungi in the old paper.

Dog ears on old books - after a time, the corner of the page breaks off.

Licking your fingers to turn a page. On old books and newspapers you can see the little rotten edges where people have done that. Grrr.
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:58 PM   #29
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
Quote:
Unlike her, I have enough respect for paper books to NOT "dogear" their pages.
Yeah, that's when I gave up on her, too. Some way to treat friends ... I also never wrote anything in any book I love. Sorry, too much respect for them.
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:19 PM   #30
Not_A_Crook
Which way is up?
Not_A_Crook has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Nook, Alphasmart Neo (word processor, Viable document reader.)
The worst people could say is that the digital transition is why America suffers Obesity.
Not_A_Crook is offline   Reply With Quote