Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-07-2013, 09:02 AM   #1
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Turn Publisher Fonts On

This article suggests that, for books with embedded fonts, one should "turn publisher fonts on" on a kindle for best display.

This article rebutts the first one.

As a rule, I prefer to select my own font, although user-selected fonts v. publisher fonts is a discussion for another thread.

What I am wondering is, how on a kindle does one "turn publisher fonts on" or off?
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:08 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When you have a KF8 eBook displayed and the eBook has embedded fonts, when you go to the AA menu, one of the options is Use Publisher Font.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:49 AM   #3
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

oh, thanks. I guess I haven't run into any books with embedded fonts yet, then.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:56 AM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
When you have a KF8 eBook displayed and the eBook has embedded fonts, when you go to the AA menu, one of the options is Use Publisher Font.
Unless you are reading on an iOS device as the Kindle for iOS app seems to be broken when it comes to embedded fonts. That is, embedded fonts don't display.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:07 AM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Unless you are reading on an iOS device as the Kindle for iOS app seems to be broken when it comes to embedded fonts. That is, embedded fonts don't display.
Does Kindle for iOS support KF8 now? I thought it only worked with the fixed layout subset of that format.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:13 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
oh, thanks. I guess I haven't run into any books with embedded fonts yet, then.
Or you have not gone to the AA menu with a KF8 with embedded fonts. The problem you may find with embedded fonts is the line height may be huge. because of the fonts used in the embedding combined with the line height bug.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:29 AM   #7
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
I'm with the writer of the second article, as some may have noted already in some of my previous posts. I choose my fonts, sizes and settings for a very specific reason. That reason is having a very bad eyesight, but still wanting as much text on screen as possible. Therefore, I prefer fonts that I can still read very well, despite choosing a quite small setting and somewhat thight line spacing.

If your book denies me that because you insist that I should use your crappy font at size 5 and lock the font selection, then I'll kill it with fire, rip the font out, or convert the book to a format without embedded fonts.

Getting to choose my own font is one of my main, maybe even *THE* reason to use an e-reader. Respect that, thank you very much.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:18 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Does Kindle for iOS support KF8 now? I thought it only worked with the fixed layout subset of that format.
Kindle for iOS supports KF8. KF8 supports embedded fonts in general, it doesn't require the fixed layout.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:44 AM   #9
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
If your book denies me that because you insist that I should use your crappy font at size 5 and lock the font selection, then I'll kill it with fire, rip the font out, or convert the book to a format without embedded fonts.

Getting to choose my own font is one of my main, maybe even *THE* reason to use an e-reader. Respect that, thank you very much.
Ain't that the truth. Fortunately you have to proactively turn on the publisher font yourself. The real "treat" comes when a book insists wether with or without embedded font that changing fonts should not be an option.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:34 AM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Kindle for iOS supports KF8. KF8 supports embedded fonts in general, it doesn't require the fixed layout.
OK, last I heard (in December) Kindle for iOS didn't support any KF8 books except fixed layout so that must have changed. Of course KF8 in general supports embedded fonts, never said it didn't.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:12 PM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Speaking of Publishers fonts. I bought some Karen Robards books last night two in epub and one in KF8 and they are totally unreadable on the Kindle or Tablet.

After exploding them in Calibre there are 10 different fonts and none of them are legible fonts for a ebook. They show up so light you can barely see them and some script fonts need a translator to figure out the letters.

Some Publisher's like Pocket just don't get it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2013_02_08T15_07_31-0501.png
Views:	469
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	100928  
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:17 PM   #12
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Speaking of Publishers fonts. I bought some Karen Robards books last night two in epub and one in KF8 and they are totally unreadable on the Kindle or Tablet.

After exploding them in Calibre there are 10 different fonts and none of them are legible fonts for a ebook. They show up so light you can barely see them and some script fonts need a translator to figure out the letters.

Exactly right Blossom. My books I have been buying from Amazon lately have looked like that on my KFHD. Ugh, unreadable.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:22 PM   #13
BeccaPrice
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post

Which ones were they, Blossom? I like Karen Robards, and I'm curious about the bad fonts. Were you able to use one of your own fonts without having to explode and edit the files?
Old 02-08-2013, 03:45 PM   #14
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
Which ones were they, Blossom? I like Karen Robards, and I'm curious about the bad fonts. Were you able to use one of your own fonts without having to explode and edit the files?

I like her too. I bought several of hers last night. I bought Island of Flame, Sea Fire, Forbidden Love, Night Magic and Morning Song. I just finished Dark of the Moon which I own in a big Omnibus of her in Paperback. That was fun holding!

The first three have embedded fonts. Several of them to make the ebook look odd. I can turn them off on my PW I have not tried on my other Kindles like my Kindle Fire but I am surprised at the thin fonts publisher's seem to be using on ebooks.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:59 PM   #15
HYPE
Groupie
HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I bought the Hitchhiker's Trilogy of Five on Amazon and it simply ignores what font I choose. In fact, the first and the second book don't even use the same font even though my setting didn't change. I guess that's because the book uses embedded fonts? If that's the case, is there a way to turn it off on the Paperwhite? I searched on Google but can't seem to find anything.
HYPE is offline   Reply With Quote