Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-06-2012, 03:15 AM   #1
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Doest thou deplore non-readers?

I know that in a politically correct society we are supposed to accept everybody as they are, but last Friday I was at a bar when a man in his 50's began chatting me up. He seemed smart and funny so when the inevitable question came about following him home, I thought "an older man might be more intellectually interesting fare than the normal run of 30's something". Hence, I went with him. When we got to his place I immediately noticed that he didn't have any bookshelves, so I asked him if he read on a Kindle or Sony (the latter being the dominant choice in Sweden). He looked at me dazed: "What is that?", he asked.

I just said: "Never mind, and can I use the bathroom". Once there the phone came out and a text to a friend about saving me within the next 15 minutes was sent. She called and we pretended that my parents had been in a car accident, as expected he didn't offer to drive me to the hospital (I think he smelled a ruse) and I left in a hurry.

On my way home I realized that the lack of reading, no books and no clue as to an eReader, had been a total turn-off. There was never going to be any interesting conversation, no witty repertoire, no allusions to literary characters and no reading recommendations. I felt like I would only be wasting my time, I also admit that I began to think of him as an incompetent lover (obviously the diametrically opposite might be true). I am willing to withstand scorn and condemnation for my callousness, but I am actually more curious about how the rest of you think about non-readers. Had it been a woman I'm sure I wouldn't have cared as much.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:19 AM   #2
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
Maybe he only listened to Audiobooks from the library? ;-)
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:27 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I was going to comment that "dost" is the correct word rather than "doest", but a little research shows that either can be used, although the form without the "e" is much more common. "doest" is only used by Shakespeare, for example, in blank verse where the metre requires the extra syllable.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:34 AM   #4
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I was going to comment that "dost" is the correct word rather than "doest", but a little research shows that either can be used, although the form without the "e" is much more common. "doest" is only used by Shakespeare, for example, in blank verse where the metre requires the extra syllable.
Is this a record? Off topic in the second response?
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:40 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's not off-topic at all .
Old 09-06-2012, 05:13 AM   #6
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
to the OP: everyone's got their personal preference. for me, the problem starts if you start rallying and getting people on your side with a big placard (sp?) that says: DON'T DATE NON-READERS.

ps. i do like older men as well :P

EDIT: though, thinking about it now, my parents use the same excuse to prevent my sister and her boyfriend from getting married (because the guy is not Chinese).

i hope we're not turning into a sort of elitist group.

EDIT 3: deleted EDIT 2. thinking too much, lol.

Last edited by wyndslash; 09-06-2012 at 05:26 AM.
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:14 AM   #7
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
“If you go home with somebody, and they don't have books, don't **** 'em!”
― John Waters

being a non-reader is just one of those things i'll never understand.

admittedly i've been very lucky when it comes to books; my dad read and always had books around, i met my wife when she was working in a book store, and my best friend is a horror author. i just don't see how other folks are perfectly content going through life with only tv or magazines as their intellectual stimulation.

Last edited by xg4bx; 09-06-2012 at 05:19 AM.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:36 AM   #8
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
I've been a musician since I first learned to walk, which means I've dealt with a lot of smart people who didn't happen to be avid readers.

One of them, who is now a famous designer, very rarely read books and I doubt she thought in words as much as she did images and the nuances of shape and color. She sometimes had trouble expressing herself verbally, but anyone who knew her was aware of her intelligence.

My current girlfriend and her sister are so grounded in art history and technique that I find myself getting quiet whenever they discuss the virtues of various painters. It's I who feels less literate in that setting.

If you're a writer, it sometimes helps to get away from friends who read because overheard conversations run closer to common speech. On a given day, you can learn neologisms and newly invented expressions fresh from the lab of your local street.

Here's one I've always remembered:

"Hey, Professor! Always Good just punched Mr. Wiggles into arithmetic!"

Translation: One kid hit the other and the second was so angry he began to count backwards from ten.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 09-06-2012 at 06:52 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:50 AM   #9
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I know that in a politically correct society we are supposed to accept everybody as they are...
...snip...
On my way home I realized that the lack of reading, no books and no clue as to an eReader, had been a total turn-off.
That would have turned me off.

My husband has 3 major interests that I share. Reading, music, (he and I both sing and play instruments) and our faith, and various other geeky things. We both have a pun sense of humour and love of language.

Being able to share my interests with my intimate partner is a MUST. We not only have to be in love and attracted, we have to also like each other

Last edited by spindlegirl; 09-06-2012 at 06:22 AM. Reason: Fixing embarrassing horrible blasphemous grammar mistakes ;)
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:50 AM   #10
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I've only encountered it with Shakespeare, hence I thought it was accepted usage.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:51 AM   #11
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
???????????????????
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:55 AM   #12
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
"doest" in the King James version of the Bible is accepted but placement and structure is different... Whatever thou doest, blah blah blah, wherever thou goest.... "whatever you do/are doing", "wherever you go/are going" (etc)

"Dost thou do blah blah blah" is also part of the sentence structure and would be what you "meant" in the title of the post.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:57 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
I've only encountered it with Shakespeare, hence I thought it was accepted usage.
It's still used in many local dialects in England, including the area of the country where I live.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:07 AM   #14
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

You live in Stratford-upon-Avon?
Old 09-06-2012, 06:10 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
You live in Stratford-upon-Avon?
I live in Lancashire in the NW of England. Many dialects in Northern England still use thee/thou in everyday speech.