Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-10-2019, 09:32 PM   #1
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
My Voyage losing battery power?

Hello good people,

I have had my Voyage since it first came out (wifi + 3G). Love everything about it. However I am noticing that the battery is going down faster than it used to. Is that possible? Other than a few very shiny pixels in a couple of places, I am otherwise still happy with it.

Is it better to replace the battery (and where does one find it)? Or is it better to find an old Voyage? I don't feel yet like upgrading to a Paperwhite but that might be the best solution.

Grateful for any thoughts!

k4k
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:34 PM   #2
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
It's certainly possible that a kindle voyage that's over 4 years old has a battery that's starting to wear out.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2019, 09:46 PM   #3
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
Based on videos I've seen, the Voyage is pretty easy to open and the battery is easily replaceable. It's your best bet IMHO
Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:51 PM   #4
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I also got my Voyage when they first became available and I also have the 3G model. It got good battery life until the most recent firmware update. At first I thought the battery was going bad but then I realized that the battery on my Paperwhite 3, purchased about the same time, and also my newer Paperwhite 3 were getting less battery life after the most recent update.

I haven't done any measuring but as I use them I'll get a better feeling about whether the Voyage battery has declined more than the Paperwhites. If it has it isn't a lot.

I'm hoping the next update will fix this but I'm not real confident.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 11:41 PM   #5
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
There has been discussion lately in the Developers Corner that the latest firmware phone home more often, using more battery as a result.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2019, 11:44 PM   #6
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Wouldn't airplane mode mitigate that somewhat if it's the case?
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:13 AM   #7
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
They had new Voyages to buy at Woot recently. There was a thread about them here probably a couple weeks ago. They were new and discounted to about $130. If you want a new one instead, you might try waiting a bit and checking the Woot site often. They will go quickly. They will also have refurbished Voyages from time to time.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:06 PM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
You can get a brand new Voyage on Woot for $130.

https://computers.woot.com/offers/ki...lnd_cat_pc_5_3

But the battery is easy to replace on the Voyage.

https://www.newpower99.com/Kindle_Vo...ge-nm460gz.htm

The video there will show you how to do it. You can probably find the battery cheaper, however, on eBay. (Maybe not. Can't find any new ones on eBay right now.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:36 PM   #9
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
My Voyage is draining pretty fast too, like phone fast. No WiFi, no books being indexed. I don't know if it's the latest firmware or just the Voyage being old.
Barty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 05:19 PM   #10
Sol Arkite
Zealot
Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: KV; PW3 ; PW2 ; k5; KT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
My Voyage is draining pretty fast too, like phone fast. No WiFi, no books being indexed. I don't know if it's the latest firmware or just the Voyage being old.
I was having severe power drain after updating to 5.10.2. I did a restore and everything has been great since.
If you are jail-broken, be sure to apply the latest hotfix before and after.
Sol Arkite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:31 PM   #11
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you everyone! Maybe I will restore, then, if that doesn't work, find a battery. I have it in airplane mode and can watch it go down. By the way, by restore, what do you mean? Just holding down the on/off button for a long time.

Yours in confusion, k4k
Old 02-11-2019, 08:07 PM   #12
Sol Arkite
Zealot
Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: KV; PW3 ; PW2 ; k5; KT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy4katz View Post
Thank you everyone! Maybe I will restore, then, if that doesn't work, find a battery. I have it in airplane mode and can watch it go down. By the way, by restore, what do you mean? Just holding down the on/off button for a long time.

Yours in confusion, k4k
In the drop down menu select the “settings”. Then press the drop down menu again in order to select “reset device”. It deletes everything and you start from scratch.
Be sure to save your books and notes in advance. Unless you have all your books and notes stored with amazon. Then it’s as simple as sending it to kindle when you start over.
Sol Arkite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:11 PM   #13
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
\But the battery is easy to replace on the Voyage.

The video there will show you how to do it. You can probably find the battery cheaper, however, on eBay. (Maybe not. Can't find any new ones on eBay right now.)
I replaced the battery on a Paperwhite not too long ago and I used a cheap battery from Ebay. It wasn't any better than the failing battery I replaced. i wish I'd paid the price for the Newpower99 battery.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:20 PM   #14
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
That's what old batteries do. You should also notice that they also charge a lot faster than they used to. Just doesn't have as much capacity any more.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:25 PM   #15
krazy4katz
Addict

Thanks everyone. Maybe I will just buy a battery. They don't cost very much considering what I paid for the Voyage. Most of my books are backed up but I would rather not go through them to figure out which ones are not.