Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-09-2019, 07:40 PM   #46
forster01
Groupie
forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle, Amazon Fire HD
and i don't have any of the kepub patches installed...
forster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:48 PM   #47
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Generally, I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
2. Converting to .kepub gives you at least these features:
- Faster, more responsive page turns.
I've never really thought the difference was important, except maybe in very long chapters. And in recent firmware, the difference has dropped.
Quote:
- Reading statistics
The in-book stats are the main reason I consider kepubs. I don't have enough books with images or
Quote:
3. To convert in Calibre, just install the KoboTouchExtended plugin (developed by @davidfor),
No, not me. KoboTouchExtendedDriver is developed by @jgoguen. He also did the kepub output plugins. I do the main KoboTouch driver and the Kobo Utilities plugin. The kepub input and metadata reader and writer plugins are a bit confusing. They have my name on them, but, are in jgoguen's codebase. I don't remember how that happened.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2019, 12:51 AM   #48
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
According to some emails I have recieved (I haven't checked this myself), it has helped with certain ebooks which don't show their styles otherwise. As for me, I find it a useful debugging option in certain cases.
For testing various style changes, I can see it would be handy. But, I haven't seen any other bugs. I'd be interested in what you have been told.
Quote:
Most optional changes are for firmware bugs or customization, most unusual mandatory changes are to fix issues reported to me about differences in the kepub and epub renderer. The nbsp replacement is one of these (they don't show otherwise).
Not in any of my tests. The calibre editor tends to use the unicode character for everything instead of entities. I have lots of non-breaking spaces scattered through the books and they all show OK. And I remember discussing how different spaces work in the past. At the time I added various types of spaces as unicode, named HTML entities and numeric HTML entities to a test book. They all display OK.
Quote:
The smart punctuation is my opinion (it isn't as heavy handed as others though),
My issue isn't that you do it, but that it isn't documented as being done and can't be turn off. But, unless I missed something, it only seems to be doing double and triple dashes (and then fixing comments). But, it is forcing a space around them. That is something that gets argued about. But, from memory, it also tends to be national. US tends to not use the space, UK tends to use them, but prefers an en-dash.
Quote:
and the others are just code cleanups which make no difference otherwise (like the ms tags and the indentation of the opf). I'll work on documenting them all as I work on v3.

Not doing the nbsp replacement causes side effects in itself.
You said above they don't display, which isn't the case here. But, side effects sounds like something else. What are they?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 01:31 AM   #49
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
I've mentioned it in bits and pieces scattered around many places. I'll be consolidating it for kepubify v3.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=3769235

Most are in the command documentation, some I've removed after the need was gone. You can find the most up-to-date information in: https://github.com/geek1011/kepubify...kepub/kepub.go

Custom CSS is currently added before the body tag end after all other CSS tweaks. Inlining adds the stylesheet as a style tag in the same place the link tag was (to preserve precedence).

That's partly the intention. You aren't supposed to notice the fixes unless they are necessary. But, I agree they need to be documented properly. That will be resolved in kepubify v3.
speaking as someone who is not the most technically minded slight understatement since i became aware of kepubify i use it all the time to convert from epub to kepub i find it's easy to use and very very fast to batch convert/excellent all rolled into one.

thank you. long may kepubify continue i'm looking forward to v3.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:32 AM   #50
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post
speaking as someone who is not the most technically minded slight understatement since i became aware of kepubify i use it all the time to convert from epub to kepub i find it's easy to use and very very fast to batch convert/excellent all rolled into one.

thank you. long may kepubify continue i'm looking forward to v3.

best wishes koboy
I tried kepubify last week but Calibre wouldn't import the updated kepub. So in order to load it to my Kobo, as far as I could figure out, I'd have to create a folder for the author on the Kobo itself and copy it over to match up with my other kepubs already on the ereader. This is a bit cumbersome. Is there an easier way?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
kyrilson is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2019, 07:59 AM   #51
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrilson View Post
I tried kepubify last week but Calibre wouldn't import the updated kepub. So in order to load it to my Kobo, as far as I could figure out, I'd have to create a folder for the author on the Kobo itself and copy it over to match up with my other kepubs already on the ereader. This is a bit cumbersome. Is there an easier way?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
You can either (depending on your needs):
- Drag a folder of books on to kepubify to preserve the structure
- Convert your whole library (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=313137)
- Rename the books from .kepub.epub to .kepub so Calibre will recognize them
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:14 AM   #52
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Quote:
You can either (depending on your needs):

- Drag a folder of books on to kepubify to preserve the structure

- Convert your whole library (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=313137)

- Rename the books from .kepub.epub to .kepub so Calibre will recognize them

Hmm. I didn’t know about that first trick. That might work best since I have a lot of ePubs already in calibre. I’ll try it later today. Thanks!
kyrilson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:04 AM   #53
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
kepub is nice and all but there is no ligatures there =(
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 02:36 PM   #54
ebok
ebok began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I sideload some kepubs on my moded KA1 but the moment I click on the book it tells me something about adobe DRM and now I can't find them on the GUI. What is going on and how can I fix this? Cheers!
ebok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 05:12 PM   #55
maximus83
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Generally, I agree.

I've never really thought the difference was important, except maybe in very long chapters. And in recent firmware, the difference has dropped.
With the books I was testing, about 25 total (mostly lengthier books with a lot of footnotes), the effect of converting to .kepub was dramatic. It was the difference between wanting to keep my Forma vs not keeping it. The page-turning, footnote popups, and better image handling were just huge, for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
No, not me. KoboTouchExtendedDriver is developed by @jgoguen. He also did the kepub output plugins. I do the main KoboTouch driver and the Kobo Utilities plugin. The kepub input and metadata reader and writer plugins are a bit confusing. They have my name on them, but, are in jgoguen's codebase. I don't remember how that happened.
Oops, sorry for the confusion. Now fixed in the earlier post.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:05 PM   #56
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebok View Post
I sideload some kepubs on my moded KA1 but the moment I click on the book it tells me something about adobe DRM and now I can't find them on the GUI. What is going on and how can I fix this? Cheers!
Do You use calibre? If yes what happens when You connect the Kobo to calibre? If there are some strange messages read them (corrupted database for example).

And what happens if You eliminate the books and sideload them again? You could also create them again before sideloading. This is to be sure that the issue is not with the books themselves.

I had a similar problem and the cause was a corrupted database (calibre told me it), so I had to do a logout from My Kobo id and sign in again. This generates a new database and all books from Kobo are downloaded again. Then You will sideload the others books (or not? may be they will remain on the Kobo, I don't remember). I hope Your problem will not need a logout but do not worry about it: it is boring but not painful.

And if You have a copy of the database You can install it again avoiding a log out (I never did it so it is better if somebody else help You in this case).

Last edited by ps67; 02-12-2019 at 06:19 PM.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 10:38 AM   #57
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GERGE View Post
kepub is nice and all but there is no ligatures there =(
Why is that, anyway? Is there a reason kepub doesn't support ligatures?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 12:01 PM   #58
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Why is that, anyway? Is there a reason kepub doesn't support ligatures?
Kepubs do support both ligatures and kerning if you add the right line of CSS - body {text-rendering: optimizeLegibility;} - either by hand, via calibre driver or via patch. Ligatures/kerning will only be as good as the font you're using.

The drawback is that if you read your books full-justified then occasionally word- and letter-spacing can be weirdly uneven. I've convinced myself that this unevenness arises (at least partly) from the KoboTouchExtended (KTE) algorithm which adds the koboSpan tags necessary for turning an epub into a kepub. KTE tries to replicate exactly the algorithm used in Kobo-bought kepubs so I don't suppose it's likely to change.

FWIW I did hack my own version of KTE to change the koboSpan algorithm. I've been happy with the results for my own reading purposes, with the caveat that I can't be 100% sure that I haven't degraded the bookmarking/notes/highlighting features in some way because I rarely use them.

Also I've never compared side-by-side a full-justified epub with an equivalent 'hacked' kepub. All I know is that, for over 2 years, my hacked kepubs have been good enough for me and they have both ligatures and kerning.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 12:08 PM   #59
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@jackie_w: For curiosity's sake, what did you tweak?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 12:28 PM   #60
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@jackie_w: For curiosity's sake, what did you tweak?
For most of the past 2 years I tweaked in 2 ways:
  • Create only one koboSpan per node rather than trying to create one koboSpan per sentence.
  • For text content within any single koboSpan, if it contains leading and/or trailing spaces, move the spaces outside the koboSpan tags.

Until very recently I was convinced (based on no evidence ) that the former was more important. Now I think it might be the latter, but I haven't yet read enough books tweaked only with the latter option to draw any firm conclusions.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote