Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-12-2018, 10:25 AM   #1
rioachim
Enthusiast
rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: PW2
Kindle Firmware Update 5.10.2

Now live for all devices:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=200529680

WARNING: For Paperwhite 2, Active Content is half broken, many apps reporting an error upon start. Update 5.10.2.1 available only for PW2 is a bugfix for this issue:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/firmwaredow...2_5.10.2.1.bin

Last edited by rioachim; 01-27-2019 at 03:56 PM.
rioachim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 11:54 AM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I downloaded and installed 5.10.2 on my Oasis 2.

The What's New screen on the Kindle shows "Performance improvements and other general enhancements" for this release.

One change that is definitely present, but not mentioned, is new DRM for books in KFX format.

It is strange that Amazon has left the PW3 and original Oasis out of yet another update cycle.

Last edited by jhowell; 12-12-2018 at 04:12 PM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2018, 10:25 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Just updated my PW (10th gen). ‘Performance improvements and other general enhancements’. I’ll have to take their word on that for now.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:37 AM   #4
ElspethB
Passionate Reader
ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, Kobo Clara HD, Fire HD 8, Voyage, Oasis 3, PW5
I was hoping this update would fix the problem of disappearing books introduced with 5.10.1. Unfortunately, after updating my Voyage, I still have the issue of books not showing up when I switch from sorting by Recent to Author in list view. So frustrating! The books are still on the Voyage, just not showing up in various views.

I de-DRM all my books via Calibre and Apprentice Alf and sideload via USB. Not sure if that makes any difference. This never happened before 5.10.1.
ElspethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 12:14 AM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
One change that is definitely present, but not mentioned, is new DRM for books in KFX format.
Is this a worrisome change?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2018, 03:31 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Not in the slightest. It has no impact whatsoever on your ability to buy a book from Amazon and read it on your Kindle.

Should you wish to do a format conversion, all the other routes for doing so are still available.

Last edited by HarryT; 12-14-2018 at 05:00 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 10:55 AM   #7
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Is this a worrisome change?
I do have some curiosity over why Amazon bothered to upgrade the DRM for KFX format. After all there are still plenty of other ways around Amazon's DRM.

On one hand they may have done it just because KFX is under active development and so it was easy to do. But there is also the possibility that this is only the first step and will be followed up by making KFX harder to avoid in the future.

I agree with HarryT that there is no need to worry just yet.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 01:13 PM   #8
TheSmitty
Addict
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite SE, Libra 2, Oasis 3, Boox Note Air 3C, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I do have some curiosity over why Amazon bothered to upgrade the DRM for KFX format. After all there are still plenty of other ways around Amazon's DRM.

On one hand they may have done it just because KFX is under active development and so it was easy to do. But there is also the possibility that this is only the first step and will be followed up by making KFX harder to avoid in the future.

I agree with HarryT that there is no need to worry just yet.
I as well remove DRM from every book I buy from Amazon the day I buy it. But I buy every book I own from Amazon so it is not a piracy thing at all. The day that I can no longer remove the DRM is the day I can start buying books from other vendors and even other devices (although I remove DRM and convert to epub for archive I own kindles and just read them downloaded from them.) So, not too worried about it. In some ways it could be liberating
TheSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 01:22 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm totally "vendor agnostic". I buy books from all sorts of different bookstores, store in Calibre, and convert as required. Every book on my Oasis 2 (currently 9243 of them) has been sideloaded from Calibre. I find it a little amusing when people say that buying a Kindle "locks you in" to Amazon. It locks you in to nothing at all!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 03:03 PM   #10
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I also don't feel locked in by my Kindles but they could still be more open. It would be nice if they could access Dropbox for example.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 06:08 PM   #11
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I also don't feel locked in by my Kindles but they could still be more open. It would be nice if they could access Dropbox for example.

Barry
I has been years since I have done it, but that used to be possible with Experimental Browser. Have you tried it?

But you probably mean ‘DropBox integration’.

I was also able to download from Amazon Cloud Drive or whatever it is called now.

OneDrive didn’t work — could not login.

I could even go to my library’s Overdrive site and checkout books, and read Google books.

But now I lack motivation and curiosity to do any of this stuff.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 06:22 PM   #12
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm totally "vendor agnostic". I buy books from all sorts of different bookstores, store in Calibre, and convert as required. Every book on my Oasis 2 (currently 9243 of them) has been sideloaded from Calibre. I find it a little amusing when people say that buying a Kindle "locks you in" to Amazon. It locks you in to nothing at all!
True but there are many folks who wouldn't begin to know how to remove DRM (or are uncomfortable with that legal gray area) for a purchased ebook to facilitate conversion.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:29 PM   #13
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Should you wish to do a format conversion, all the other routes for doing so are still available.
Okay. Just wanted to know if there was any reason not to upgrade my Kindle Basic. I'll go ahead then. Thanks.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:59 PM   #14
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Okay. Just wanted to know if there was any reason not to upgrade my Kindle Basic. I'll go ahead then. Thanks.
Worst case you might have to keep an old Kindle around and registered to your account that never got the KFX update just for DRM removal. ( PW1, Kindle Touch, or anything older)
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 03:27 AM   #15
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Worst case you might have to keep an old Kindle around and registered to your account that never got the KFX update just for DRM removal. ( PW1, Kindle Touch, or anything older)
That's true. I think I was just more curious what they were doing with the DRM.

I went ahead and upgraded my Kindle Basic. Everything seems to work fine. I guess I should look to see what's new, though I don't think there's anything dramatic like there's been in the last few releases.