Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-10-2018, 02:10 PM   #1
Lparsons21
Zealot
Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 4
Fire HD8 - 5th gen vs 8th gen

I currently have a 5th gen HD8 and am looking at moving up. But it seems the 5th gen and 8th gen have the same processor though a better graphics chip in the 8th gen. With that given, is the performance better than the 5th gen?

I ask because while I like the approach Amazon has taken with the UI, I really dislike the overall dogginess of its performance.

thanks

Sent from my Google Pixelbook using Tapatalk
Lparsons21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 03:12 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lparsons21 View Post
I currently have a 5th gen HD8 and am looking at moving up. But it seems the 5th gen and 8th gen have the same processor though a better graphics chip in the 8th gen. With that given, is the performance better than the 5th gen?

I ask because while I like the approach Amazon has taken with the UI, I really dislike the overall dogginess of its performance.

thanks

Sent from my Google Pixelbook using Tapatalk
See:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_HD

The processors are different; the former is 32 bit, the latter is 64 bit.
Former has only 1GB RAM, the latter has 1.5GB.

I have an HD 6 (4th gen), which has pretty much the same CPU specs as HD 8 (5th gen), and HD 8 (7th gen), which has pretty much the same CPU specs as HD 8 (8th gen). I can say the latter is quite a bit faster, plus it has SD expansion. The 8th gen is considerably cheaper than the 5th gen was, as well. I cannot comment on raw performance as I have very few 3rd party apps on my HD 8. But it is much, much better for the basics.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2018, 03:38 PM   #3
Lparsons21
Zealot
Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks. Somehow I missed seeing the ‘bit’ difference.

I decided to get the 8th gen and since I had enough credits on my account it was no out of pocket cost.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 12-13-2018, 05:43 PM   #4
Lparsons21
Zealot

Just got it. Performance is much improved compared to the 5th gen I have

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 12-13-2018, 06:22 PM   #5
conan50
Fanatic
conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
My new HD8 is fairly quick and works well so far.
conan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2018, 07:26 AM   #6
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
FYI I have the 5th gen HD 8 (the first 8" they made) and it is so slow, no one uses it. It's awful. I haven't bought a Fire since.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 09:05 AM   #7
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
battery life is better on the newer models. but some features have been cut, to lower the price. So study specs.
e.g. you cannot cast to a 2nd screen on the latest models, and a gyroscope feature needed for some games has gone.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 09:44 AM   #8
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
FYI I have the 5th gen HD 8 (the first 8" they made) and it is so slow, no one uses it. It's awful. I haven't bought a Fire since.
The lagginess of the 5th gen HD 8 was why I traded it in for the 8th gen on Thanksgiving for an outlay of $27.50. It was worth it; it's still not the zippiest gadget going, but it's improved and when my still much-used 2013 Nexus 7 gives up the ghost it will be a handy replacement, at least while I consider options.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote