Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-03-2019, 04:53 AM   #1
elduderino
elduderino began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Calibre E-Book Viewer only showing blue and white question mark for all books

Hello there,

As a long time Calibre user, everything has historically worked fine for me. I upgraded my mac recently and downloaded the latest version of Calibre (3.33.1). I have also tried 3.36.0 just now. I have no idea why, but on my new mac, while everything in my library shows up, when I double click on a book, the ebook viewer comes up and all I get is a big blue square with a white question mark in the middle. Trying to change pages etc does nothing - all I get is the question mark! Happens with *every* book in my library. I can open those books in say, iBooks, and they open fine and I can read them, and they all used to be fine on my old macbook.

I've searched forums and the web and can't seem to find anything to help

I've tried:
1) Downloading various versions
2) re-installing a few times - searching for all remnants of Calibre and starting from scratch
3) doing #2, but also nuking my entire library and then adding books to newly installed Calibre from scratch
4) Converting my books using Calibre to any other format to see if that would make any difference

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Driving me NUTS!

Thanks.
elduderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 05:53 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It's likely an issue with temporary files on your new computer. You can try setting the CALIBRE_TEMP_DIR and CALIBRE_CACHE_DIRECTORY environment variables to someplace else, as described here: https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/cus...ment-variables
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 02:28 AM   #3
elduderino
elduderino began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Hey there,

Thank you for responding!!

I totally read that environment variables page, but couldn't figure out what to do.... I'm also reasonably technical though...

When I go into Terminal in OSX and type "printenv" which basically shows all environment variables, there aren't any at all for Calibre. I've also looked in both /Library/LaunchAgents, ~/Library/LaunchAgents, /Library/LaunchDaemons, ~/Library/LaunchDaemons and couldn't find any references to Calibre.

I've also checked in my Calibre Cache directory but that's empty. Totally unsure what to do?

Thanks much!!
elduderino is offline   Reply With Quote