Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-20-2019, 10:01 AM   #1
RhD97
Connoisseur
RhD97 began at the beginning.

Device: Kinde 8th generation
Is there a limit to how many times you can turn your screen on and off?

I was wondering if there is a limit to how many times you can press the "On" and "Off" screen button on kindle. I know there is to the plug and socket, but does it also apply to the screen button?
RhD97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 10:18 AM   #2
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I think you've misunderstood something. There are no "limits" as you describe. Can you explain what you mean?
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 10:30 AM   #3
RhD97
Connoisseur
RhD97 began at the beginning.

Device: Kinde 8th generation
Sure. I mean, after 1000 times, say, the button will start playing up. Is it possible?
RhD97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 10:55 AM   #4
newkindlefun
Connoisseur
newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3rd gen (2015)
There is a point after which things start wearing down mechanically, but I don't think it's a point which is relevant for even heavy use. If you're worried about the amount you're pressing it on and off yourself.

Probably thousands and thousands of times, hundreds of thousands. But I don't have any hard evidence.
newkindlefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:12 AM   #5
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhD97 View Post
Sure. I mean, after 1000 times, say, the button will start playing up. Is it possible?
Sure...it's also possible for a button to fail after 10 times. Stuff breaks.

I've got a 2nd gen Kindle that is 10 years old, and the slide button still works perfectly.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 10:22 PM   #6
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
There are a lot of us using Kindles in my retirement home. I've been using them since 2009. One of mine has no case so I always turn it on and off with the button. I've always kept one without a case and I've never had a problem.

If you're worried you can use a case and the Kindle goes to sleep when you close the case and wakes up when you open it. But really I don't think it's something to worry about. I've never heard of anyone with a Kindle power button failing.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:53 AM   #7
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
The button on my original K3 failed last year. Bought in 2009 or 2010. My neighbor's paperwhite button failed in 3 months with help from a toddler. I use the magnetic case on newer devices mostly to save power, but it has the added benefit of reducing usage of the button, so one less thing to fail.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 11:24 AM   #8
Popup
Zealot
Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: kindle3, paperwhite-2012, Oasis-2016, paperwhite-2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhD97 View Post
I was wondering if there is a limit to how many times you can press the "On" and "Off" screen button on kindle. I know there is to the plug and socket, but does it also apply to the screen button?
While it's true that there's typically a design life for all components, it shouldn't be an issue, unless you spend (literally) all day playing with the power switch.

I don't know about the switches used in kindles, but lifetimes for switches is counted in tens of millions of cycles, not in thousands. That means that if you push it every second for eight hours a day, it should last about a year.
Popup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 04:50 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Use a sleep cover. Problem solved.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote