Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-21-2018, 09:51 AM   #1
Philippe D.
Addict
Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2o; reMarkable; Onyx Max 2 Pro
Half frozen display

My Aura H2O seems to have the lower half of its display frozen: it shows the cover of the book I was reading, which is what it usually does when it's asleep.

I tried turning off the device (long press on the power button), and only the top half of the display seems to change. The menus and interface seem to still work, in book selection mode I can tap on the lower half of the display to select a book - so the touch layer still works, it's just that the display is frozen.

I'm afraid this is the sign that the display itself has a problem. Has anyone experienced a similar problem? Is there a "hard reset" option somewhere that I might try?
Philippe D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:02 AM   #2
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
If you have an original Kobo H2O, this is the procedure for a normal hardware reset:

https://www.kobo.com/help/en-US/arti...-kobo-aura-h2o

If you have a Kobo H2O Edition 2, the procedure for a factory reset is described here:

https://www.kobo.com/help/en-US/arti...-h2o-edition-2

Last edited by RobertJSawyer; 06-21-2018 at 10:05 AM.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2018, 10:31 PM   #3
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
That sounds a lot like a broken substrate. Is the line between normal perfectly straight across or curved in any way? If it's curved it's likely a broken substrate. Post a picture and the forum will be able to tell you.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 01:29 AM   #4
Philippe D.
Addict
Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's a straight separation line. Since yesterday, the device has stopped responding normally - when I press the "on" button all I get is that the frontlight turns on, but nothing else seems to work. I tried a reset, and it didn't work.

Thanks for the advice, but it doesn't look good
Old 06-22-2018, 03:24 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
It sounds like a problem with the controlling electronics. Is it still in warranty? If so, they should replace it.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2018, 03:45 PM   #6
Philippe D.
Addict

I'm afraid it's not - what's the standard warranty time? My device is a bit over 2 years old.
Old 06-23-2018, 06:00 AM   #7
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippe D. View Post
I'm afraid it's not - what's the standard warranty time? My device is a bit over 2 years old.
Standard manufacturer warranty is a year, and I believe the EU has a two year statutory warranty period, so you might be out of luck there.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 03:21 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippe D. View Post
You should be able to get it sorted even if the warranty is over because of the EU fit for purpose clause. It should last longer than two years without a fault.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 03:43 AM   #9
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You should be able to get it sorted even if the warranty is over because of the EU fit for purpose clause. It should last longer than two years without a fault.
To be fair, it did last longer than two years without a fault This sort of device may well fall in a very grey area in the "fit for purpose"/"reasonable time" area, once the two years EU statutory warranty is up. It's not a fridge or washing machine, which you would obviously expect to last a lot longer than two years; but it's not a ten dollar widget either. This is all assuming it was bought locally, of course.

Depends how willing you are to chase them legally.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote