Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-10-2018, 08:09 AM   #1
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
Text on screen when reading

I've been thinking about getting a Kobo Aura/Clara for a while now, but there are a couple of things making me hesitate. Firstly, I was wondering about the amount of text one gets on the screen of the Aura and how it compares to the Kindle. On my Kindle, with line spacing at the smallest and margins at the closest to the edge, I get around 28-29 lines depending on text boldness. How does that compare to the Kobo? Also, I noticed on some video reviews that the bottom margin moves up and down when turning the page. Is there any way to stop this?
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 11:26 AM   #2
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Enabling full screen mode reading (which strips the header and footer) and using the smallest font size and line spacing one obtains 74 lines of text on the Aura Ed. 2. Good luck reading that though!

If your goal is to maximize words on the page, it is far easier than you might think because there so many customization options on Kobo devices.

The bottom margin changing is not defeatable to my knowledge, but it is not that noticeable if you are using a very small font size, which I guess you would be.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2018, 01:51 PM   #3
JohhnyMix
Connoisseur
JohhnyMix began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O V2
Yea, ill take a kobo over the kindle any day due to the fact that you can mod the firmwares.
JohhnyMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 09:50 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
I've been thinking about getting a Kobo Aura/Clara for a while now, but there are a couple of things making me hesitate. Firstly, I was wondering about the amount of text one gets on the screen of the Aura and how it compares to the Kindle. On my Kindle, with line spacing at the smallest and margins at the closest to the edge, I get around 28-29 lines depending on text boldness. How does that compare to the Kobo? Also, I noticed on some video reviews that the bottom margin moves up and down when turning the page. Is there any way to stop this?
On my KA1, using the smallest font and what amounts to no left or right margin and reading an epub, it switches to a 2 column layout but with 80+ lines on the page.. Sadly, my eyes are not good enough to read that text size short of rubbing my nose on the screen. Going to the largest font setting is equally ridiculous for me but one friend of mine who is legally blind loves it -- to him, it is the difference between reading and not reading without using the library projection magnifier. I've attached screenshots of both ends of the font size slider.

As for the bottom margin moving up and down, that is tied into being able to fit lines on the page and widows/orphans which is an attempt to prevent a single line left at the bottom or top of a page with the default settings of 2 though some ebooks have set that to 3 or higher. A useful setting for print books but useless on ebooks.

Again, this is using epubs and the Adobe RMSDK renderer. The results are slightly different when using kepubs since you would have a header at the top of the page (just in case, you forget what book you are reading...).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_001.png
Views:	146
Size:	325.4 KB
ID:	164415   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_002.png
Views:	108
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	164416  

Last edited by DNSB; 06-10-2018 at 09:55 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 01:35 PM   #5
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
Thanks everyone, that's clarified a lot for me.
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert