Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 10-13-2017, 04:58 PM   #316
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
no dashes in pop up footnotes on Kindle pw (7th Generation)

On Kindle pw (7th Generation) firmware 5.8.10

When I hyphenate a AZW3 book with footnotes the normal text is OK, but no way to have pop up footnotes with dashes. In calibre viewer I see correctly but not on Kindle, the hyphenation seems to work but no dashes. The same footnotes, at the end of the chapter (or at the end of the book) are shown correctly.

I think it's a Kindle bug (or a lacking feature) because in pop up notes I can't see neither embedded font; and in closing I can't see justified text also if I say it in css.

I forgot: italian dictionary, if it is important.

edit: now 5.8.11, no changes.

Last edited by ps67; 10-13-2017 at 07:18 PM.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 05:11 PM   #317
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buhaj47 View Post
Moving here from another thread - just got my PW3, and am wondering how to enable hyphens in my Polish books? I suppose hyphenation will not work for MOBI, so I need to convert the files to AZW3, KF8 or KFX? What's the difference between them and is any of them best?

On a side note, ebooks purchased from Amazon Store are hyphenated. Why is that, are they in one of those three formats?

EDIT: OK, converted ebooks to AZW3, hyphenation works.
hyphenated ebooks purchased from Amazon Store are in kfx format.

azw3 and kf8 is the same format, generally books are with the azw3 extension, I have never seen a kf8 extension in a book but is the same format. And if you want to hyphenate them you can use this plug in.

better: kf8 is the format, azw3 the extension, kf8 can be also into new format mobi file.

Last edited by ps67; 10-15-2017 at 11:57 AM. Reason: better
Advert
Old 10-14-2017, 11:46 AM   #318
Manrico
Manrico began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Libra
I read books in Bulgarian, English and sometimes Russian on Kindle Oasis and an old Kindle 5. English books I try to convert to KFX using the KFX plugin and Kindle Previewer. If not possible, to AZW3. KFX English books are hyphenated, AZW3 - not. Bulgarian and Russian are not supported by Previewer, so I convert books in those languages to AZW3. Bulgarian books are not hyphenated. But some months ago after one of the firmware updates, Oasis started to hyphenate AZW3 books in Russian. I was surprised and checked - the same files are not hyphenated on the old Kindle5 and on Kindle apps for Android and Windows. I even looked inside the files and found no soft hyphens.
So my guess is that for some of the more popular languages that are not supported by KFX format, Amazon enabled hyphenation for AZW3 format in Kindle firmware. But not for languages that KFX format supports like English or for less popular languages like Bulgarian.
Manrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 01:39 PM   #319
ps67
Guru

Why do not enable hyphenation for AZW3 format in Kindle firmware for all languages? Not all book can be converted in kfx also in supported languages. Strange kind of decision by Amazon.
Old 10-15-2017, 03:09 PM   #320
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post
Why do not enable hyphenation for AZW3 format in Kindle firmware for all languages? Not all book can be converted in kfx also in supported languages. Strange kind of decision by Amazon.
That that everything KFX can do can be done with KF8, there's no reason for KFX. Amazon just has to write the KF8 renderer to do it.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2018, 12:54 PM   #321
ajkessel
Connoisseur
ajkessel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3rd Generation
Is there any way to use this plugin with a headless/command-line invoked installation of Calibre?
ajkessel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 01:12 PM   #322
ajkessel
Connoisseur

One other question: it appears this plugin can only hyphenate EPUB or AZW3, not MOBI. But Kindle does not accept either format via email as best I can tell. Is there any way to use this plugin and then send the result to Kindle by email? Or am I stuck with copying the file to a locally connected device?
Old 02-17-2018, 03:18 PM   #323
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
1) hyphenate epub
2) convert epub to to "dual" /"combo" mobi format (change "Mobi file type" option from "old" to "both", in Mobi output tab)
3) email (or use Send to Kindle app) that mobi file
4) your Kindle should download an azw3 "part" of that dual mobi file you've send, and it will have soft hyphens.

If for some reason Amazon sends old mobi format when you use Calibre to generate "dual mobi" then try using kindlegen (or Kindle Previewer, it also uses kindlegen) for that epub> mobi step (kindlegen by default produces "dual"/"combo"/"master" mobi file).

Last edited by shamanNS; 02-17-2018 at 03:24 PM.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 04:22 PM   #324
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajkessel View Post
One other question: it appears this plugin can only hyphenate EPUB or AZW3, not MOBI. But Kindle does not accept either format via email as best I can tell. Is there any way to use this plugin and then send the result to Kindle by email? Or am I stuck with copying the file to a locally connected device?
You'd be best to hyphenate the KF8 format eBook and using Calibre to load onto your Kindle via USB.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:05 PM   #325
ajkessel
Connoisseur

Thanks for the tips above re hyphenation. Sounds like there is no way to work this into a headless / script-based workflow, i.e. based on invoking ebook-convert command-line?

I'm aware of the Python "hyphenate" script and the suggestion posted here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=274246 , but the script hasn't been updated for recent Python releases and even after making a few fixes to get it to execute, I'm still not able to get satisfactory results. The Hyphenate This plugin works great but doesn't appear to be scriptable. Is there any relatively simple solution to that?
Old 02-26-2018, 05:57 PM   #326
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Given the age of Hyphenate This!, I would guess that it doesn't support running from the command line. You could always add in the code do that or find someone else to do it.
Old 03-26-2018, 12:36 PM   #327
kakuzade
kakuzade began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite
I currently have this error that prevents me from using it:

calibre, version 3.19.0
ERROR: Excepción no considerada: <b>ValueError</b>:max() arg is an empty sequence

calibre 3.19 embedded-python: False is64bit: True
Linux-4.14.29-1-MANJARO-x86_64-with-glibc2.2.5 Linux ('64bit', '')
('Linux', '4.14.29-1-MANJARO', '#1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Mar 21 16:48:46 UTC 2018')
Python 2.7.14
Linux: ('', '', '')
Interface language: es
Successfully initialized third party plugins: EpubMerge (2, 2, 0) && Hyphenate This! (0, 0, 8)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre_plugins.hyphenatethis.hyphenatethisaction ", line 118, in hyphenate
File "calibre_plugins.hyphenatethis.hyphenatethisaction ", line 92, in _select_books
File "calibre_plugins.hyphenatethis.hyphenator.hyphenat or", line 165, in __init__
File "calibre_plugins.hyphenatethis.hyphenator.hyphenat or", line 109, in __init__
ValueError: max() arg is an empty sequence

I have the same error with caliber 3.20 in windows. Any ideas?
kakuzade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 03:50 PM   #328
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Did you change the dictionary?
Old 03-26-2018, 07:31 PM   #329
kakuzade
kakuzade began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite
Thank you very much. It was a problem with the Spanish dictionary. I had to use the obsolete dictionary: https://extensions.libreoffice.org/e...onario-espanol

And speaking of obsolete things, this plugin is not updated over 4 years ago... The developer still maintained?
kakuzade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 03:29 AM   #330
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakuzade View Post
And speaking of obsolete things, this plugin is not updated over 4 years ago... The developer still maintained?
I don't know if the developer is around any more or not, but, what do you think needs to have been changed? If the developer got it right, then why would it need an update?

But, for orphaned plugins, it is common for someone in the community to adopt them and fix things. This usually means the person who does it uses the plugin and sees a need for the change. This isn't a plugin I use, so I have no idea if there is anything that needs to be fixed/changed/extended in it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon account, formatting, hyphenation