Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-19-2012, 01:53 PM   #1
Eures
Connoisseur
Eures is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Paperwhite 4
Updating with EU-firmware

I've got a brand new Kindle Keyboard 3G US-version, it is possible to replace the firmware with the EU one? Are there differences between?
Eures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:09 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I've never seen any indication that there are separate firmware versions for the US vs. international Kindle Keyboards. There might possibly be a different SIM card, but that's all. The main differences are just in where your account is registered (what country).
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2012, 04:19 AM   #3
Daveoc64
Groupie
Daveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (LTE)
There's no functional difference.

The Kindle sold by Amazon UK contains a Vodafone UK SIM card, but you obviously can't add that with a firmware update.
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:22 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eures View Post
I've got a brand new Kindle Keyboard 3G US-version, it is possible to replace the firmware with the EU one? Are there differences between?
There is no "EU firmware". All Kindles have the same firmware.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:35 AM   #5
Eures
Connoisseur
Eures is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Paperwhite 4
Thank you all,

I saw there was two different updates, the one for US customers, the other
for EU ones:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...29700#download

Therefore I had for a second the idea to transform the US reader into an EU one, but the SIM card is different.
Anyway, from the 3G coverage map the Kindle US should work properly also in
Europe, so maybe my choice to buy the US version was not completely wrong... (altough at the moment I live mostly in Italy)

In any case I will update using the file B006.bin (US)...
Eures is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2012, 09:37 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A US 3G Kindle will work fine fine in Europe.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote