Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 06-20-2018, 04:09 PM   #31
allochi
Connoisseur
allochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kobo Aura
+1 for 10.3" with front light, maybe also screen finish like that of Sony.

To be honest, I'm the user who don't care for note-taking but it seems to be the trend, my dream device would be a Sony DPT-CP1 + front-light +Onyx Software.

As much as you may complain about framework update with Onyx, they have the best PDF reader software for an e-reader out there, coming from using the original 13" Sony and other devices (iPad, etc...)

Sony DPT-CP1 form factor and weight is amazing, but missing front-light and software is not, cropping and font-weight are features that any serious PDF reader must have, and Onyx does.

@Booxter, thanks a lot for the update!
allochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:35 AM   #32
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 13inch
Quote:
Originally Posted by allochi View Post
+1 for 10.3" with front light, maybe also screen finish like that of Sony.

... my dream device would be a Sony DPT-CP1 + front-light +Onyx Software.

Sony DPT-CP1 form factor and weight is amazing, but missing front-light and software is not, ...
Sony is using flexible EInk screens with NO glass. 13.3 weight is 56grams and 10.3 is 32grams. That's why everybody is admiring Sony's weight.

Not sure if you are aware of the fact that the front light requires the glass.

If you'd put the glass on top of the EInk display it never will be like Sony. Either in screen finish or lightweight device.

Good news is that at least somebody is happy with Onyx software.
For me it's scary to learn that there is more than 100 software engineers at Onyx.
fgdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:06 AM   #33
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgdas View Post
Good news is that at least somebody is happy with Onyx software.
For me it's scary to learn that there is more than 100 software engineers at Onyx.
Monkeys on typewriters
But hey, apparently, a new notes app is out. The added some sort of sync with Evernote (but not Onenote). Maybe if in the future, documents could also be synced via Dropbox... but they‘d need standard PDF annotation for that...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 11:45 AM   #34
charliebub
Connoisseur
charliebub has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.charliebub has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.charliebub has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Boox Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
Monkeys on typewriters
But hey, apparently, a new notes app is out. The added some sort of sync with Evernote (but not Onenote). Maybe if in the future, documents could also be synced via Dropbox... but they‘d need standard PDF annotation for that...
There's a sync to Dropbox option as well as the Evernote choice - I'd really like a sync for OneNote - drat!
charliebub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 12:47 PM   #35
cqman
Groupie
cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle DXG, Onyx Boox Max1, Max2, Nova, Hisense A5 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliebub View Post
There's a sync to Dropbox option as well as the Evernote choice - I'd really like a sync for OneNote - drat!
Onyx got (or bought) permission from Evernote and Dropbox for the sync function.

Microsoft doesn't care. So complaining to Microsoft as an Office user is much more useful than complaining to Onyx.
cqman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 04:42 PM   #36
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqman View Post
Onyx got (or bought) permission from Evernote and Dropbox for the sync function.

Microsoft doesn't care. So complaining to Microsoft as an Office user is much more useful than complaining to Onyx.
Onedrive has an open API afair, and the Onenote file format is documented, so there’s nothing really holding Onyx back I think.

In regard to dropbox: Is it possible to sync PDFs via Dropbox to the device and back with annotations showing up in PDF apps on the computer?
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:11 PM   #37
MadAstra
Enthusiast
MadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle Oasis, Onyx Boox Note
Quote:
Onedrive has an open API afair, and the Onenote file format is documented, so there’s nothing really holding Onyx back I think.

In regard to dropbox: Is it possible to sync PDFs via Dropbox to the device and back with annotations showing up in PDF apps on the computer?
Not directly. After the PDF has been annotated on the Onyx device, you have to export the file to get a new PDF with annotations in. That file you can then sync up to Dropbox, and it can be read on the PC (though you have to be aware that not all PDF viewers see these annotations).
MadAstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:04 PM   #38
allochi
Connoisseur
allochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kobo Aura
@fgdas

Quote:
Good news is that at least somebody is happy with Onyx software
I have to be fair, my use to Onyx software is limited to read PDFs only, I don't use any other features than PDF crop/zoom and font weight. I'm sure other users have other needs and use cases. Note taking and PDF annotation/editing is a job I left to my iPad.
allochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:23 PM   #39
cqman
Groupie
cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Quote:

You are right. If there is no technical obstacle, no doubt Onenote integration will be available in the future.

The new note-taking app didn't exist two months ago, it's the initial version, more functions are on the to-do list and will come.

If you need any function, feedback in your device or email their support. The more users request the sooner it will be available.

Last edited by cqman; 06-21-2018 at 06:29 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:57 PM   #40
cqman
Groupie

Quote:
Sony is using flexible EInk screens with NO glass. 13.3 weight is 56grams and 10.3 is 32grams. That's why everybody is admiring Sony's weight.
As far as I know, Onyx put a metallic plate under the E Ink screen of Max2 which adds too much weight as well as makes it more solid.

There are many choppy screens of Sony RP1. "Wavy screen" is the term coined by RP1 users.

The extremely light weight of RP1 is at the cost of something else.

Last edited by cqman; 06-21-2018 at 07:02 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:53 PM   #41
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 13inch
Quote:
As far as I know, Onyx put a metallic plate under the E Ink screen of Max2 which adds too much weight as well as makes it more solid.

There are many choppy screens of Sony RP1. "Wavy screen" is the term coined by RP1 users.

The extremely light weight of RP1 is at the cost of something else.
I've noticed "wavy screen" only in connection with cracked DPT-RP1 with Android by Chinese hackers.
Possibly by opening the device to re-flash?
fgdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 11:02 PM   #42
cqman
Groupie

Quote:
I've noticed "wavy screen" only in connection with cracked DPT-RP1 with Android by Chinese hackers.
Possibly by opening the device to re-flash?
I don't think so. The problem existed before hacking came to market. I knew many users who didn't have their devices hacked complained about it. The white version has higher possibility to be choppy than black version.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:55 AM   #43
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
The screen of my Note has a slight wave to it. It can't really be seen, but it can be felt. However, as it doesn't seem to affect its functionality, I've never been bothered by it, but it is definitely there.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:22 AM   #44
cqman
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
The screen of my Note has a slight wave to it. It can't really be seen, but it can be felt. However, as it doesn't seem to affect its functionality, I've never been bothered by it, but it is definitely there.
wavy screen = eye observable

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=286
Old 10-15-2018, 01:17 PM   #45
Matilo
Zealot
Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Likebook Mars, kindle Paperwhite 2nd generation, kindle fire hdx 8.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by machinogodzilla View Post
Thanks Booxtor, great report (and a photo too!).
I'd love to see some pics or video of that device.
Here a video of the 10.7 inch color eEreader:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsVdoi-j9GU
Matilo is offline   Reply With Quote