Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 12-02-2017, 10:47 AM   #1
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
Date related bug in IOS 11.1.2

Have you encountered crashes in IOS 11.1.2. Well I have on all my Apple devices.
It happens when some apps give notifications when the time has passed 12.15 on December 2.

The device simply crashes and you have to restart, the current state is not saved. Meaning for instance that position in a book is not saved, the webpage you are reading is not saved etc. etc.

Read more here

Here is what you should do:

Quote:
If your device with iOS 11 unexpectedly restarts repeatedly on or after December 2, 2017, learn what to do.

Use these steps to turn off notifications for all the apps on your device, then update your device to iOS 11.2:
1. Tap Settings > Notifications.
2. Tap an app, then turn off Allow Notifications. Repeat this step for each app.
3. Update your device to iOS 11.2.
4. After updating, tap Settings > Notifications and turn Allow Notifications on again for each app.
I did that and it seems to work.

If you don't turn off notifications as described, then you risk that your device crashes before the update process takes over.

Last edited by svenlind; 12-02-2017 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Spelling
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 02:48 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Hasn't happened on either my iPhone or iPad, both of which are running iOS 11.1.2. I wonder if it's perhaps country-dependent?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 06:53 AM   #3
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Hasn't happened on either my iPhone or iPad, both of which are running iOS 11.1.2. I wonder if it's perhaps country-dependent?
Well maybe. But according to the link in the OP I am not the only one that had the problem.

It could be application specific, because according to the link it happened when some applications made notifications. I had to turn off application notifications, because the update was consistently interrupted.

The verbs are in past tense because the problem disappeared with version 11.2.

I have a reminder app and a data counter app, and I especially suspected those 2 apps to be the culprits.
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 06:55 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh, no, I wasn't suggesting that you were the only one; just noting that it seems not to occur with UK date settings. This was undoubtedly what led to the rushed released of iOS 11.2 on a Saturday, which is highly unusual.

I've now installed the update myself - better to be safe than sorry.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:05 AM   #5
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I found that my ipad started crashing late on the 4th. I had more or less decided not to upgrade unless I had to... and of course, I had to. So I did all the other iOS devices I have as well.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:41 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I've now updated both my iPhone and iPad. No issues with either but, as I said, better to be safe than sorry, especially since I'm going away in a few days, and I really don't want my phone to start crashing repeatedly when I'm in the middle of nowhere without a reliable Internet connection.