Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-09-2014, 11:43 PM   #3301
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post
So, I am one of the others who are now reading Larry Correia's "Monster Hunter International" because many here seem to REALLY love it.

Well ... how shall I put it ... the suggestion read "If you like monsters and guns, then you will love that". That I read, and agreed with.

I would like to however put that a little more precisely ... "If you like to play with your guns and knives every evening before going to bed, think that the NRA is the greatest invention of mankind, and want to read lots and lots about that, and something about monsters, then you will love that".
Best regards,
Andy
With the exception of adoring the NRA, (whom I generally wouldn't trust with string, let alone firearms), your sentence above summed up EXACTLY why I'm enjoying MHI.
It's fluff reading for me. I love the guns and tech, and I enjoy the nods to cryptozoology and folklore. Is MHI an incredibly well written masterpiece? Nope, but I like it nonethless.
Plus it's filling the void left by Dresden and Verus right now.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:58 AM   #3302
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
AlbertaCowboy ... that is what I meant - I am sure there are lots of you out there who love it :-)

Spoiler:
I personally found the part a bit too much where they are followed by an invincible stone gargoyle and end up outside a small cabin, fearing death ... and suddenly an old guy with an NRA cap on his head comes out of the cabin, wielding an elephant gun (Winchester 458 magnum), kills off the gargoyle and then says that this should finally prove to his wife that he was right to buy an elephant gun. Well, in most other areas of the world, that would qualify as a "deus-ex-machina" type of rescue, but in Alabama it might be expected ;-)

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:26 AM   #3303
leanansidhe
Faerie Godmother
leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
With the exception of adoring the NRA, (whom I generally wouldn't trust with string, let alone firearms), your sentence above summed up EXACTLY why I'm enjoying MHI.
It's fluff reading for me. I love the guns and tech, and I enjoy the nods to cryptozoology and folklore. Is MHI an incredibly well written masterpiece? Nope, but I like it nonethless.
Plus it's filling the void left by Dresden and Verus right now.
I totally agree with you. It's not classic literature, it's just meant to be a fun read, which it was for me. I'm just reading a few short stories from Dresden and then I'm going to start Vendetta. I'll probably get myself up to date with Monster Hunters, then read Dresden from the beginning with Side Jobs this time (I forgot I had it on my last re-read ), then hopefully Skin Game will have been released. Then I'll start Alex Verus based on all the recommendations here.

It's good to have a plan .
leanansidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:28 AM   #3304
leanansidhe
Faerie Godmother
leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Skin Game release...

106 DAYS!!!

or 3 months and 17 days!

Old 02-10-2014, 10:02 AM   #3305
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
Quote:
but in Alabama it might be expected
Yeah. I saw no problem at all with the reference.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:13 AM   #3306
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Well, if guns get a better character description than actual characters of the book, something is not quite right. I am not a gun nut at all and couldn't see the difference between all the models named. I didn't even know there were so many different manufacturers.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:57 AM   #3307
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
It's probably been mentioned, dissected and discussed already, but are the Iron Druid Chronicles any good? I have them on my amazon wishlist, along with the Felix Castor novels and the Kate Griffin books. I was just wondering what y'all thought?
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:08 PM   #3308
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Quote:
AlbertaCowboy ... that is what I meant - I am sure there are lots of you out there who love it :-)

Spoiler:
I personally found the part a bit too much where they are followed by an invincible stone gargoyle and end up outside a small cabin, fearing death ... and suddenly an old guy with an NRA cap on his head comes out of the cabin, wielding an elephant gun (Winchester 458 magnum), kills off the gargoyle and then says that this should finally prove to his wife that he was right to buy an elephant gun. Well, in most other areas of the world, that would qualify as a "deus-ex-machina" type of rescue, but in Alabama it might be expected ;-)

Best regards,
Andy
Yeah, actually I even found that to be a little on the "deus" side, myself. Although I wish my wife would let me get a .458 :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Well, if guns get a better character description than actual characters of the book, something is not quite right. I am not a gun nut at all and couldn't see the difference between all the models named. I didn't even know there were so many different manufacturers.
I do agree to some extent, that the guns get a loving description, while I still don't really have a solid mental picture of Trip, for example. (But man oh man, do I ever want the Abomination).
It can be a bit overwhelming for non gun nuts I guess, but at least Correia doesn't infodump for twelve pages a-la Tom Clancy. It's kind of funny though, I love the gun descriptions and action sequences where the usage is correctly described, and find that it adds to my own enjoyment of the action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leanansidhe View Post
106 DAYS!!!

or 3 months and 17 days!

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:23 PM   #3309
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
It's probably been mentioned, dissected and discussed already, but are the Iron Druid Chronicles any good? I have them on my amazon wishlist, along with the Felix Castor novels and the Kate Griffin books. I was just wondering what y'all thought?
I really liked the first 3. After that it didn't keep me interested. Based on the reviews I've seen (and others I know who have read them) a lot of people had the same experience.

But since they're sort of written to be broken up into trilogies, I usually recommend just the first 3.

The protag is a bit of a Mary Sue, but I found those early books to be entertaining.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:17 PM   #3310
leanansidhe
Faerie Godmother

Anyone know where Alan went? It's been a week since he last posted here, I'm so used to having at least one post a day
Old 02-10-2014, 06:14 PM   #3311
IcecreamLtDan
Groupie
IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite, Kobo wireless, Kobo Glo
For those of you that are liking the MHI books, be sure to check out his Grimnoir Chronicles books as well. A little less guns and a little more magic is the best way to explain it that I can think of. I'm a bigger fan of the MHI series, but I did get into the Grimnoir Chronicles too. MHI was actually my introduction to these types of books, I found them before I found out about the Dresden Files books.
IcecreamLtDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:05 PM   #3312
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Quote:
Originally Posted by leanansidhe View Post
Anyone know where Alan went? It's been a week since he last posted here, I'm so used to having at least one post a day
He's busy reading Eliezer Yudkowskys "Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality".
Quite a feat, I guess.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/lis...rently-reading

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:00 AM   #3313
leanansidhe
Faerie Godmother

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcecreamLtDan View Post
For those of you that are liking the MHI books, be sure to check out his Grimnoir Chronicles books as well. A little less guns and a little more magic is the best way to explain it that I can think of. I'm a bigger fan of the MHI series, but I did get into the Grimnoir Chronicles too. MHI was actually my introduction to these types of books, I found them before I found out about the Dresden Files books.
I will check them out once I'm done with MHI.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:01 AM   #3314
leanansidhe
Faerie Godmother

Quote:
He's busy reading Eliezer Yudkowskys "Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality".
Quite a feat, I guess.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/lis...rently-reading

Best regards,
Andy
Thank you Andy, I hope he comes back soon
Old 02-11-2014, 09:01 AM   #3315
leanansidhe
Faerie Godmother

Skin Game Release...

105 DAYS LEFT!!!

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy