Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Viewer

Notices

Old 04-27-2022, 11:58 AM   #1
Lief
Enthusiast
Lief began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Any way to show double pages in comics/manga?

Hi,
I'm trying to setup the Calibre viewer to read manga. The first problem was that for some reason for some of my original awz3 file from amazon calibre viewer added a margin top to the image, so I used this style
Code:
img {
   margin: 0px 0px !important;
}
to avoid it (it was margin: 115px 0px before).

I still got a problem... even if I set my horizontal (landscape) pages to two it does not work for my comics/manga.
I like to read with two pages (like with a real manga) and I really like to see double pages as one... That's why I usually convert my ebook for kindle app, but I really want to use the open source alternative (calibre) and if I can solve this I will not need anything else.
Is this possible with Calibre Viewer?

PS. If I convert it to cbr I will see double pages but they will not be close on the center... I don't want any gap.

Last edited by Lief; 04-27-2022 at 12:36 PM.
Lief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 04:10 PM   #2
Lief
Enthusiast

In the end I give up on Calibre Viewer for manga/comics..
I just use Cover.
I'm still trying to find a good alternative for android (for epub manga/comics at least... most people suggest app that read cbr/cbz (for illegal scans) but if I have to convert my legal epub manga to cbr/cbz, I'll just convert them to mobi and read it with kindle app that's already great).
On PC at least I think I will use PC Kindle app (for amazon books, comics/manga, and already converted ebooks/comics/manga), Kobo (for kobo books, comics/manga), Calibre Viewer for epub got from other stores and Cover for new epub comics/manga (got for example from humble bundle).
I still got the alternative to convert the epub manga/comics by extracting the images from the epub and creating a mobi with Kindle Comic Creator so that I can use the PC Kindle app (that's still a good option).
ADE really is a piece of shit to read.
While Kobo app is great but it cannot be used with external epub (and that sucks because it's really great for manga/comics).

I'll still need to convert everything if I need to use my kindle ebook reader (but since I only got the really old Kindle 4 I cannot really use it for manga without zooming a lot).

Still now I know that there is still a software that I can create... something that work on both android and PC and that can read epub manga/comics (and double pages) in a way that does not suck.
Advert
Old 11-14-2023, 02:48 PM   #3
Lief
Enthusiast

Ok after more than a year here what I do:
1. Estract the images
2. Use this tool https://wing-kai.github.io/epub-manga-creator/ to create a good fixed layout epub (this is better than Kindle Comic Creator because the resolution can get higher than 1280x800)
3. I send them here https://www.amazon.it/sendtokindle (if my epub is more than 200mb I create multiple parts... usually I don't need to).

This way I can use the Kindle PC/Android app to read any manga even if I bough it on humble bundle (for example). Cover is still great on PC but it is limited by my onedrive account cloud space and there is no android version. Kindle PC/Android right now both got documents support (Kindle PC did not support documents 1 year ago) and the last version drm on Kindle PC can be removed. That's why right now this is my setup.

The main problems with other tools like KCC is that they use Panels instead of landscape double pages.
While I still don't know if there is any good epub fixed layout reader for android.