Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-26-2021, 04:23 PM   #16
fathead
Connoisseur
fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kobo Aura H2O2, PocketBook THD3, PocketBook IP3, Nook ST
Sites like that are a good starting point but you'll still have to suck it and see. Who curates the recommendations and do their tastes match yours?
fathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 08:04 AM   #17
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fathead View Post
Sites like that are a good starting point but you'll still have to suck it and see. Who curates the recommendations and do their tastes match yours?
Yes, I've looked at the literary-map site before. I find some of the recommendations somewhat bizarre. If I were looking for someone who writes like David Weber, then Alan Dean Foster isn't one of the first names that springs to mind. I happen to like both authors, but while they are both in the SF&F genre, I can't think of two authors who are more different.

Way back in the day, there were a couple of news letters that I got that talked about upcoming books from different publishers. Of course, that was back when there were a lot less books, but still, it was something that at a minimum let me know what was coming out that month.

Tor actually has a pretty good weekly or so email. Notices about what's coming out, interesting articles. The only problem is that there are few Tor authors that I actually like, so it doesn't exactly generate a lot of sales with me. Perhaps if they started making backlist books mentioned in various articles available. But I wish that more publishers would do that sort of thing.

A couple of the authors whom I have discovered over the last half decade do send out updates to those who sign up for it. Some send them out on a regular basis, others not so much.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert