Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-20-2021, 06:55 PM   #91
doodlydood
Enthusiast
doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PRS-505, Kindle 3, iPad, Nook Touch, Kobo Touch
Still waiting on book cover features. Anyone else?

Multiple reboots, syncs and even manually applied the firmware.
doodlydood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 12:29 AM   #92
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlydood View Post
Multiple reboots, syncs and even manually applied the firmware.
No joy here either though one report of a Kindle in Canada getting the cover display. Not sure why I really want it since I'm using the screensaver directory on my Kobos to use my own images though I get about a 1 second glimpse of them when I open a sleep cover.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2021, 09:16 AM   #93
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
No joy here either though one report of a Kindle in Canada getting the cover display. Not sure why I really want it since I'm using the screensaver directory on my Kobos to use my own images though I get about a 1 second glimpse of them when I open a sleep cover.
It is available in Canada but it's randomly applied. I have a bunch of Kindles in the house, mine, my wife, and my 2 kids. All Kindle's were purchased from the Amazon Canada website, only 1 has the cover option (my daughter's paperwhite). I have the latest Oasis and nothing.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 11:26 AM   #94
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Finally got it on my Voyage today. The only one that notified me with a popup was my Oasis2. The Oasis1 and the Voyage didn't and I had to look in the device settings. Oasis1 of course is in a cover so I don't see it there. Voyage is my take along device and is in cover also when I use it that way.

I use my Oasis2 only in the house though and its never in a cover so now I can see the cover. Its kind of neat as I have been looking at it and see what I am reading and instead of doing something else, I picked it up to read. Like it reminded me to get a move on. I been in a really bad reading funk since last year and its taking me a long time to read a book, which is very unusual to me. So I been picking it up more often since I got the feature.

eta: adding that I did not restart any of the kindles, the feature just appeared. I did have wifi on the whole time on all 3.

Last edited by Atunah; 04-21-2021 at 11:34 AM.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 05:36 PM   #95
gaseous
gaseous began at the beginning.

Device: 10th Gen Kindle, 7th Gen Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle 5
Got it on my husband's Paperwhite (7th gen) today. No such luck for my 10th gen Kindle, though.

Both also still don't show any sign of the 'Group in Series' anywhere. no popup, no option, nothing.

both readers are linked to Amazon Germany...
gaseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2021, 06:36 PM   #96
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Group in series will only be useful to me if they let me filter by those groups. Otherwise I can't find them. I have like 3500 books in my account. If I could just sort by groups like I can by KU books, etc, then I could see them all in one place. Otherwise they are buried at page 400 or something. Or am I missing something in how to actually find all the grouped books. Besides by accident.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 09:45 PM   #97
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaseous View Post
Got it on my husband's Paperwhite (7th gen) today. No such luck for my 10th gen Kindle, though.

Both also still don't show any sign of the 'Group in Series' anywhere. no popup, no option, nothing.

both readers are linked to Amazon Germany...
The feature requires the storefront to show Series as well (mirroring what shows up on Kindle). It’s possible they have not completed this work for Amazon Germany. The publisher or Amazon has to go book by book to add this information, i.e. it is not automated.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 01:09 PM   #98
gaseous
gaseous began at the beginning.

Device: 10th Gen Kindle, 7th Gen Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
The feature requires the storefront to show Series as well (mirroring what shows up on Kindle). It’s possible they have not completed this work for Amazon Germany. The publisher or Amazon has to go book by book to add this information, i.e. it is not automated.
The series info shows on the Amazon shop pages just fine. Below the book summary and information it shows the book's series and the other books, all clickable, etc. So, I guess the information is there for the storefront? Has been for some time, as well.
gaseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 12:01 PM   #99
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So i if your Kindle has ads, it will cost $20 (in the US) to be able to see covers on the lock screen. Well done Amazon. NOT!
I'm surprised they didn't see this as a way to get indie writers to pay to get their covers on the lock screens of Kindles with ads.

And I'd forgotten it was $20 to remove special offers. It might be worth it, or I might miss seeing the ads for books about sexy vampire motorcycle club members.

I'm watching this to find out how it will look with special offers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5kswBD0NM0
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 08:17 AM   #100
Popup
Zealot
Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: kindle3, paperwhite-2012, Oasis-2016, paperwhite-2019
This is the top feature that people have been asking for since at least ten years.

I naïvely thought that the reason not to implement such an obvious crown-pleaser must surely have been legal rather than technical.

Does anyone know if anything has changed recently? Any patent that has run out? Have Amazon bought up some patent portfolio?
Popup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 12:12 PM   #101
Madhatter71
Madhatter71 began at the beginning.

Device: paperwhite Gen 10
Well thank god eventually got this then noticed it didnt work on my books sent thru email with calibre. Few reads later I found that if you use calibre and send them thru usb it works. So tried and can confirm it does, now to go back thru the books Im reading just to get the cover showing lol.
Madhatter71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 04:28 AM   #102
Popup
Zealot
Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: kindle3, paperwhite-2012, Oasis-2016, paperwhite-2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter71 View Post
Well thank god eventually got this then noticed it didnt work on my books sent thru email with calibre. Few reads later I found that if you use calibre and send them thru usb it works. So tried and can confirm it does, now to go back thru the books Im reading just to get the cover showing lol.
Even if you sideload with USB from Calibre, it doesn't always work. (At least not if you're using an older version of Calibre, as I was until yesterday.)

I'm not quite sure what is the relevant step, but when I re-converted my books to AZW3 and re-compressed the images, using the latest Calibre (5.19) the covers reappeared.

According to this, it's because the cover has to be a jpeg with JFIF metadata, rather than EXIF.
Popup is offline   Reply With Quote