Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-10-2021, 07:47 PM   #1
cpegg
Enthusiast
cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura H2O (first edition), Kobo Forma
Reference recommendations? (Nature field guides)

Has anyone found some good ebook versions of field guides? I'd like to take a well-stocked Android tablet on my nature walks. Carrying around a hardcopy library is not to be done (my lower back would object) and I'm hoping for something better than just an awkward scan by some publisher of their paper version.

Specific regions of interest: northeastern US through the western Great Lakes states. More specific regional guides within this general area would be welcome.

- birds
- insects and arachnids
- wildflowers
- fungi
- trees
- herbaceous plants
- mammals
- reptiles/amphibians
- any other!

I'm especially interested in the bird 'n bug guides. If any enthusiast has some recommendations I'd be very grateful.
cpegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 02:23 PM   #2
IrishBob
IrishBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IrishBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IrishBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IrishBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IrishBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IrishBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IrishBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IrishBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IrishBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IrishBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IrishBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Fire Tablet
Check out Treehugger website. They just had an article about Apps that will make you an expert on nature.
IrishBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 12:37 PM   #3
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
For birding I use the eBird and Audobon apps, much easier to use on mobile than an ebook.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 02:36 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You could have a go at the Olsen's Standard Book Of British Birds (expurgated version, no Ganets).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 07:45 PM   #5
cpegg
Enthusiast
cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura H2O (first edition), Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_D View Post
For birding I use the eBird and Audobon apps, much easier to use on mobile than an ebook.
Thanks for the recommendation, I'll definitely check out these apps. I don't know why my mind was stuck on only ebooks instead of apps.

From a quick glance at the FAQ, the Audubon app has a "Download all Content" option. That'll definitely be useful since the areas I wander don't exactly have wifi (though apps that don't have that feature will be useful at home.)

Now, if only there's a similar app for my beloved bugs (and other life.) I shall search!
cpegg is offline   Reply With Quote