Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 06-18-2021, 11:52 AM   #16
steve1977
steve1977 began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
Don't think that what's got me in trouble. Anyhow, I now know per your description above how to add it back. So, this will keep me busy for a while.

I am still trying to figure out whether I have epub2 or epub3 ebooks. And whether series ir properly embedded in the tags. How can I see whether it is epub 2 and epub3. And any way to read what has been embedded?
steve1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 12:41 PM   #17
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1977 View Post
Don't think that what's got me in trouble. Anyhow, I now know per your description above how to add it back. So, this will keep me busy for a while.

I am still trying to figure out whether I have epub2 or epub3 ebooks. And whether series ir properly embedded in the tags. How can I see whether it is epub 2 and epub3. And any way to read what has been embedded?
you can always open it with the commandline viewer BEFORE you add.
It should already be on the start menu under Calibre,
if it has a NAV file it WAS (at sometime), a EPUB3.
If the INTERNAL OPF has a line says the version is other than 2.x
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2021, 04:58 PM   #18
Section8
Addict
Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Moon+ Reader on a cheap Android tablet
Is your calibre library in a cloud synced folder (dropbox, OneDrive, Gdrive, etc) or a networked drive?
Section8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 05:09 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If I have a need to update the metadata in an ePub, I use the Calibre editor and update the OPF manually.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 07:18 PM   #20
steve1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section8 View Post
Is your calibre library in a cloud synced folder (dropbox, OneDrive, Gdrive, etc) or a networked drive?
Yes, a mapped network drive. Why you asking?
Advert
Old 06-18-2021, 07:24 PM   #21
steve1977

Thanks for your help!

I am still not fully clear whether it's an epub2 or epub3 format that my file is in.

I have used "edit books" and looked at the content.opf file. Does its existence confirm that it is an epub3 file?

The opf file has a line that says "<meta name="calibre:series" content="Die drei ??? Kids"/>", which I believe is a custom tag rather than epub compliant? Epub compliant would be "belongs-to-collection".
Old 06-18-2021, 08:30 PM   #22
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Thanks for your help!

I am still not fully clear whether it's an epub2 or epub3 format that my file is in.

I have used "edit books" and looked at the content.opf file. Does its existence confirm that it is an epub3 file?

The opf file has a line that says "<meta name="calibre:series" content="Die drei ??? Kids"/>", which I believe is a custom tag rather than epub compliant? Epub compliant would be "belongs-to-collection".
Code:
<package xmlns="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf" xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/" xmlns:opf="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" prefix="a11y: http://www.idpf.org/epub/vocab/package/a11y/# calibre: https://calibre-ebook.com ibooks: http://vocabulary.itunes.apple.com/rdf/ibooks/vocabulary-extensions-1.0/" unique-identifier="bookid" version="3.0" xml:lang="en">
No matter what the rest of the tag line says: the RED part says 3.0
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 10:22 PM   #23
Section8
Addict
Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Moon+ Reader on a cheap Android tablet
Quote:
Yes, a mapped network drive. Why you asking?
Because Calibre doesn't support its library on a networked drive - https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...rked-drive-nas - and the problems you're describing, where Calibre seems to lose track of your book files, sound like that might be the cause.
Section8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 02:26 AM   #24
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If I have a need to update the metadata in an ePub, I use the Calibre editor and update the OPF manually.
Why? Calibre is perfectly capable of doing that at various times. And unless you have disabled the EPUB Metadata writer plugin, will be overwritten when you send it to the device.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 10:40 AM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section8 View Post
Because Calibre doesn't support its library on a networked drive - https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...rked-drive-nas - and the problems you're describing, where Calibre seems to lose track of your book files, sound like that might be the cause.
I have my Calibre libraries on a networked drive. It's not a NAS. It's just a drive letter mapped to a hard drive on another computer. So as far as Calibre is concerned, it's just a standard hard drive. I've been doing this for more then 6 years with not a single problem. If the drive is a NAS, I would not even attempt to use it for my active Calibre library.
Old 06-19-2021, 10:48 AM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Why? Calibre is perfectly capable of doing that at various times. And unless you have disabled the EPUB Metadata writer plugin, will be overwritten when you send it to the device.
Once I edit the metadata in the ePub, I get Calibre to update the metadata from the ePub.

One thing I forget to mention is that when I am updating the metadata if need be, I'm also editing the ePub for other changes such as adding a proper cover, removing embedded font, fixing some CSS, removing all unused CSS, etc.
Old 06-19-2021, 11:16 PM   #27
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Quote:
Once I edit the metadata in the ePub, I get Calibre to update the metadata from the ePub.

One thing I forget to mention is that when I am updating the metadata if need be, I'm also editing the ePub for other changes such as adding a proper cover, removing embedded font, fixing some CSS, removing all unused CSS, etc.
Huh? The first quote says you edit the OPF when editing the book using the calibre editor. The second says that you let calibre do this for you. Which is it?
Old 06-19-2021, 11:31 PM   #28
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I have my Calibre libraries on a networked drive. It's not a NAS. It's just a drive letter mapped to a hard drive on another computer. So as far as Calibre is concerned, it's just a standard hard drive. I've been doing this for more then 6 years with not a single problem. If the drive is a NAS, I would not even attempt to use it for my active Calibre library.
Really? So, you are using another Windows machine as the host for your calibre library. And mounting across the network. Using exactly the same protocols as for a NAS or any other server mounted this way. You are in exactly the same situation as the person you are criticising. It will work until it doesn't.

Honestly, I'd trust my NAS to do this a lot more than trusting another Windows machine.
Old 06-20-2021, 07:52 PM   #29
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Jon, to quote from the relevant calibre FAQ:

Quote:
I am getting errors with my calibre library on a networked drive/NAS?

Do not put your calibre library on a networked drive.
Sorry but over the years I've seen enough oddities with Windows mapped drives that I would place you in the same category as anyone not using locally attached storage: It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 09:49 AM   #30
steve1977

Thanks again for your help.

I am trying to improve my workflow in Calibre.

* I have epub2 files that I like to convert to epub3 and also to embed metadata. Do I first use convert from toolbar and then the poilish books plugin (update metadata in the book files)

* Do I need the opf file if I embed the metadata? If not necessarily, how can I stop Calibre from creating it?

* Do I need to keep the "original_epub" file? Do I need to keep multiple formats per ebook? Can I set up Calibre to delete pdf or epub2 after converting?

Thanks again for the helpful on this forum. Really great!