Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-08-2021, 10:46 AM   #31
Pilgrim86
Pilgrim86 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pilgrim86 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pilgrim86 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pilgrim86 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pilgrim86 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pilgrim86 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pilgrim86 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pilgrim86 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pilgrim86 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pilgrim86 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pilgrim86 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Narnia does have a lot of Christian symbolism in it. It's very religious.

Surely does, but syncretism always contains some good... the man's fascination with the occult, mixed with his religious convictions, makes me disinterested.
Pilgrim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 12:10 PM   #32
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Aren't there any American Christian organisations with recommended book lists? You'd think they'd be safe.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2021, 12:48 PM   #33
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
You know, the wizards are always evil in all those Conan stories.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 01:08 PM   #34
Pilgrim86
Pilgrim86 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pilgrim86 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pilgrim86 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pilgrim86 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pilgrim86 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pilgrim86 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pilgrim86 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pilgrim86 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pilgrim86 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pilgrim86 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pilgrim86 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjaybe View Post
Aren't there any American Christian organisations with recommended book lists? You'd think they'd be safe.
Well, yea, I can obtain book reading lists from various sources. However, there lists are largely going to be comprised of theology books, or fictional tales which are designed to send a certain evangelical or apologetic nature. These works have their place, but, I am well read in theological works and know where to go for reading in that area, and I figure fictional tales don't have to be overtly written from a Christian vantage point for them to be enjoyable...
I am looking for quality (from a Christian perspective or not) that is simply not offensive. Charles Dickens comes to mind, maybe some of his stuff I could read. Hoping though for Sci Fi or Fantasy. Thanks.
Old 06-08-2021, 01:09 PM   #35
Pilgrim86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
You know, the wizards are always evil in all those Conan stories.
Really?
Advert
Old 06-08-2021, 02:15 PM   #36
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Absolutely. R. E. Howard also wrote about a witch-hunting pilgrim called Solomon Kane.

It's all very dark and violent, though.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 04:09 PM   #37
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
I can't remember reading any books with magic which portray it in a bad light, so my recommendations will have to be non-magical.

I thought of a few more:

Naomi Novik: Temeraire (a series of eight or ten books or so). Napoleonic war with dragons. The dragons are sentient, but treated as something between slaves and valued servants, so in addition to war drama there's a lot of plot around human rights for dragons

Ellen Kushner: The Tremontaine books, starting with Swordspoint. Feels a bit like Three Musketeers - duels and intrigues and politics and love.
Um, nope, I checked this, and there's some sex. The sex isn't explicit, though. If you like, you can check this scene and let us know if that's something you're OK with, or if you'd prefer to avoid it.
Spoiler:
Alec breathed out in a feathery sigh as Richard sought out his pleasure, always careful not to startle him with anything sudden or unexpected. Sometimes finding it was like stalking prey, or coaxing a wild creature to his hand. Alec stopped speaking, let his eyelids fall thin over his bright eyes, and Richard felt his body coursing fluid like water, as though he held the power of a river in his arms.
hildea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 04:38 PM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I can also recommend the Hyperion Series by Dan Simmons.

Hyperion
1. Hyperion (1989)
2. The Fall of Hyperion (1990)
3. Endymion (1996)
4. The Rise of Endymion (1997)

Also, I'll recommend The Princess bride by William Goldman.

And another series is His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman.

His Dark Materials
0.5. Once Upon a Time in the North (2008)
0.6. The Collectors (2015)
1. The Golden Compass (1995)
2. The Subtle Knife (1997)
3. The Amber Spyglass (1999)
3.5. Lyra's Oxford (2003)
3.75. Serpentine (2020)

Last edited by JSWolf; 06-08-2021 at 04:44 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 05:36 PM   #39
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Wow! You're really struggling with meeting the criteria here, aren't you?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-08-2021 at 05:51 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 05:54 PM   #40
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Jon's just trolling at this point.

Small Gods? Yeah, not for this request.
His Dark Materials for someone requesting Christian aligned books? Uh huh, right.
From what I've seen of the Wayfarers series that's also not a good fit (although I haven't read it.)
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 11:39 PM   #41
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
The Deryni series by Kurtz. They do use magic but it's more like a inherited psychic ability of one race. The spells they use use a lot of Christian symbolism and some of the practitioners are priests.

RiddleMaster of Hed by Patricia McKillip. Sort of magic but not spells or witchcraft.

Hero and the Crown By Robin Mckinley

Deed of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon

A wrinkle in time by Madelaine L'Engle

James White Hospital Station books.

Any by James Schmitz

Crystal Singer and The Ship Who Sang by McCaffrey.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 05:13 AM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Jon's just trolling at this point.

Small Gods? Yeah, not for this request.
His Dark Materials for someone requesting Christian aligned books? Uh huh, right.
From what I've seen of the Wayfarers series that's also not a good fit (although I haven't read it.)
I don't get the big deal about Small Gods. Discworld is an excellent series.

As for Wayfarers, I've read the first two books and it does fit. No sex, no magic, good characters.

His Dark Materials is a stretch, but I think overall it can fit.

Besides, Narnia was mentioned and it's not a good fit.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 05:40 AM   #43
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Another one to mention is the Wizard of Earthsea series by Ursala Le Guin. I've not read all of it but the first book was 'clean'.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 06:49 AM   #44
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I don't get the big deal about Small Gods. Discworld is an excellent series.

As for Wayfarers, I've read the first two books and it does fit. No sex, no magic, good characters.

His Dark Materials is a stretch, but I think overall it can fit.

Besides, Narnia was mentioned and it's not a good fit.
Becky Chambers definitely has sex in it - one scene in particular was in public. It was painted as a cultural ritual, but it was there nonetheless.

As to whoever said Ann Leckie above, I would think she would fit the bill quite nicely. No magic or sex there, but a really fun space trilogy.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 07:44 AM   #45
fathead
Connoisseur
fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kobo Aura H2O2, PocketBook THD3, PocketBook IP3, Nook ST
John Scalzi: anything (yes, I'm a fan) - minimal sex, no magic, possibly swearies?
Daniel Abraham: Dagger and the Coin series - minimal sex, some magic but only by the baddies so that's ok then.
James SA Corey: The Expanse series - no magic, didn't notice much sex.
Jack Campbell: The Lost Fleet series - squeaky clean military sci-fi, good fun but be prepared to skim through a LOT of meticulously detailed space battles!

Last edited by fathead; 06-09-2021 at 07:59 AM.
fathead is offline   Reply With Quote