Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 11-22-2023, 05:40 AM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
You like HTML 3?
HTML 3 has nothing to do with this.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 07:01 AM   #32
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Wanting no CSS is nostalgia for HTML 3.
Wanting bare <p> and <h2> is prehistoric for people typing in Notepad in 1993.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2023, 09:24 AM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It's not prehistoric. It's better code to not have classes when you don't need them. Then way to do eBook sis to keep it simple. And it's as simple as you can get to use <p> and <h2> with no classes where possible. CSS is where they are configured as you need. You use classes when you want to change <p> and/or <h2>.

You get simpler code, better looking code, and more accurate ADE page numbers.
Old 11-22-2023, 10:15 AM   #34
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beathan View Post
For regex I used:

F: [a-zA-Z]-[a-zA-Z]
R:
but can not manage the Replace string
( ) are the capture zones, so surround each zone with ( ) like did earlier (you can include literals as I did)

replace:
\1 \2
\1 place the first zone
\2 place the second (again, you can include literals actual text)
\2 \1 flips the two captures
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 10:36 AM   #35
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I am with you. This is extreme minimalist coding.

I have no issue with using p class= for minor Exceptions:
<p> for general body text would be acceptable to me, because 90% of a book is just the same paragraph style.
But why? <p class='indent'> makes it obvious and the performance hit on a modern reader device is not noticeable.

I find EPUB3 coding really annoying when having to back trace thru 5 levels to find why a stupid title page does not fit on a single screen on my Libra2 (1264 x 1680? ). FWIW I adjust so it also works on my Aura 2 and it looks just fine.
Advert
Old 11-22-2023, 09:18 PM   #36
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I am with you. This is extreme minimalist coding.

But why? <p class='indent'> makes it obvious and the performance hit on a modern reader device is not noticeable.

I find EPUB3 coding really annoying when having to back trace thru 5 levels to find why a stupid title page does not fit on a single screen on my Libra2 (1264 x 1680? ). FWIW I adjust so it also works on my Aura 2 and it looks just fine.
OMG, this is exactly how I feel. I prefer my classes to spell out exactly what each one is doing without requiring me to work my way through multiple previous levels to discover what has been overridden. Ebooks are simple. It's not that hard to define a class that tells you everything you need to know about what it does. (By the way, has anyone noticed that some ebooks published by some college presses tend to have overly complicated CSS? I think they hire students who want to show off, lol.)
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 09:41 PM   #37
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by icallaci View Post
OMG, this is exactly how I feel. I prefer my classes to spell out exactly what each one is doing without requiring me to work my way through multiple previous levels to discover what has been overridden. Ebooks are simple. It's not that hard to define a class that tells you everything you need to know about what it does. (By the way, has anyone noticed that some ebooks published by some college presses tend to have overly complicated CSS? I think they hire students who want to show off, lol.)
I use the Live CSS panel to make sense of complex CSS… afaik that's the reason it exists.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 10:44 AM   #38
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I use the Live CSS panel to make sense of complex CSS… afaik that's the reason it exists.

BR
Thanks, I hadn't known about Live CSS. I'll take a look.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 11:08 AM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I prefer my CSS and my HTML to be as simple as possible. I know what <p> does as it's for most paragraphs. Also, a lot of eBooks have classes that do not say what they do. They make no sense in that respect.

I also know that if I have a chapter heading and it is using <h2>, I know what it does. I know what a <blockquote> does as I've coded it as well.
Old 11-23-2023, 11:37 AM   #40
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
If you want simple and reliable and repeatable rendering, use <p class="myquote"> and never blockquote (though fans of semantics in HTML will disagree, but then you don't believe in <em> and <strong>.).

Also you might want h2 for other headings and not just chapters.

There is a good reason CSS was invented. We didn't always have it.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 12:29 PM   #41
theducks
Well trained by Cats

And Unix was not the only place 2-3 letters were used for commands.

Some BPH get it, that there is no need for extremely verbose class names

FP, CN, TX, CT, FM,... They add a digit for variants

I have no problem guessing what those are used for.

For those tiny cases, The editor has the Jump-to CSS feature where I can READ the attributes.
Old 11-23-2023, 03:05 PM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
If you want simple and reliable and repeatable rendering, use <p class="myquote"> and never blockquote (though fans of semantics in HTML will disagree, but then you don't believe in <em> and <strong>.).

Also you might want h2 for other headings and not just chapters.

There is a good reason CSS was invented. We didn't always have it.
If you want <h2> for something other then chapter headings, that's where a class comes in to play.

As for block text, <blockquote> is best. It's simplifies the code.

I'm not a fan of excess code or code that tried to duplicate something else but in a more complex way.