Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 09-07-2008, 08:04 PM   #1
Red Stapler
Curmudgeon
Red Stapler began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Hello fellow bookworms!

Just a few quick lines to introduce myself. When I first saw the news about the Amazon Kindle, I immediately wanted one, but being very careful about spending that kind of money, I did a lot of web searching on it, and found this site. After learning about the other e-ink devices out there, I'm no closer to making a decision now than at the beginning of the year.

I finally broke down and registered so I can use the forums (especially the Which One Should I Buy forum) to help me finally make a choice. I've read a lot of great advice on this site, and although the Kindle is still (barely) ahead of the other choices, I just need to find out a little more info.

I'm looking forward to being a member of this community, and hope I can help others as well in the future. Happy reading, all.
Red Stapler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:37 PM   #2
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Good luck deciding ... I'm more and more pleasesd with my Kindle as the days pass. It goes with me everywhere.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2008, 11:55 PM   #3
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I own both the Amazon Kindle and a Sony Reader and there are things that I like about both. Living in the USA, the Kindle seems to be the best option. I've found the best selection at the best price at Amazon when shopping for current releases -- and thus the Kindle remains my primary reading device.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:27 PM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Red Stapler and welcome to the Forum. I've got a Sony 505 and really like it a lot. But, there's lots to be said for the Kindle. Be sure and let us know what you finally decide
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 02:59 PM   #5
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Welcome to the forum!

If you could expand a bit more on what you are looking for, you'll find that everyone here is more then willing to pitch in with info and opinion's (and not always in that order )
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2008, 04:34 PM   #6
Red Stapler
Curmudgeon
Red Stapler began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Well, I'm mainly looking for the most versatile choice of formats. From what I've read here so far, the Kindle, Sony, and Cybook all have their pros and cons. (The Iliad is just too much scratch for me right now.) I'd pretty much decided on the Kindle when both Sony and Bookeen released firmware updates to improve readability of pdf's (and added ePub in the case of Sony). The Kindle update rumors had me hesitating for a while, and now there are rumblings that Sony may release an OS X version of their software soon. It's a bad time to be a procrastinator.

So far the Kindle is ahead mainly for the wireless connection and Amazon's effort to bring other non-book reading material to the e-reader format, like magazines and newspapers. Plus I've always received good support from Amazon after a couple of messed up orders. Plus, Lord help me, I actually like that 1970's appliance look it has.
Red Stapler is offline   Reply With Quote