Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 02-12-2014, 08:35 PM   #1
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
So I just have to ask...

Any plans/provisions for editor plugins?

Custom routines able to be applied to current/selected files would be a dream come true!
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:14 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Sure adding support for plugins into the editor is fairly trivial, since it's in python. But I dont still have a good idea for what sorts of functionality to expose via the plugin API, since no one has floated any particular ideas for plugins yet. What would you write plugins to do?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2014, 08:23 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My own personal needs wouldn't be that elaborate: just the ability to launch a dialog that lets me input various criteria to parse/modify the (x)html of the selected file(s). Mostly for the purposes of cleaning: removal of empty/extraneous spans/divs, etc...

Give me a menu to launch a plugin's dialog (if it needs a dialog), a handle to the selected file (or a list of the selected files), and maybe a way examine the results of my meddling before "committing" and I'd be happy as a pig in mud!
Old 02-13-2014, 08:41 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sure, should be no problem. I'll get around to it eventually. Writing the plumbing for the plugins is a bit of a chore, it will have to wait for when I'm bored with other stuff.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:54 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
it will have to wait for when I'm bored with other stuff.
Perfectly understandable.
Advert
Old 02-13-2014, 09:55 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Sure, should be no problem. I'll get around to it eventually. Writing the plumbing for the plugins is a bit of a chore, it will have to wait for when I'm bored with other stuff.
You must have very high ceilings in your office,

Because your 'to do' bin gains 2 items for every 1 you take out.

I can't imagine you have time to get 'bored'
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:02 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Because your 'to do' bin gains 2 items for every 1 you take out.
It's nice not to have to worry about what I'll be doing tomorrow
Old 02-13-2014, 12:01 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Probably wouldn't hurt to toss in hooks to the NCX and OPF as well.

Would it make sense to be able to access all files in the ebook via some sort of iterable dictionary or class structure?
Code:
for sheet in book.css:
  if sheet.name == file_name_parsed_from_link_in_current_xml:
    do_stuff
With the ability to add/remove files to the ebook's structure?

Just spitballin'.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:16 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
:baloon3: I would like a text sequencing tool
That could generate sequences in a Search and Replace situation since REGEX can't do this(math or increment).

Search; (<body.*>)
Replace: \1<h3 class="chapno"> Chapter <sequential value> </h3>
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 03:27 PM   #10
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
I like a recording facility to record / playback repeating tasks like often used search & replace sequences. Kind of macro's as in popular editors.
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:18 PM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
I like a recording facility to record / playback repeating tasks like often used search & replace sequences. Kind of macro's as in popular editors.
Me too - I've been assuming it would be on the list of todo's for the Editor core.

Would spell checkers be a good candidate for plugins, i.e. different PI's for different languages.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:02 PM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Me too - I've been assuming it would be on the list of todo's for the Editor core.

Would spell checkers be a good candidate for plugins, i.e. different PI's for different languages.

BR
That would be a good candidate for the built-in plugins.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:07 PM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
That would be a good candidate for the built-in plugins.
Which 'That' would that be then Macros or language specific spell checkers ?

I would have thought that some day the former would be in the core, I don't care if its plugged in or bolted on

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-13-2014 at 08:11 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:35 PM   #14
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Which 'That' would that be then Macros or language specific spell checkers ?...
Strine and New Zild dictionaries at least .
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:30 PM   #15
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
Strine and New Zild dictionaries at least .
Strewth - that'd be bonzer cobber, should only take a wee while.

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-13-2014 at 10:32 PM.