Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-27-2013, 02:02 AM   #1
gers1978
Addict
gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Can't email books anymore (0.9.28)

Ever since updating to 0.9.28 I can no longer email books. This has been working fine for years, and I haven't changed any settings at all.

Running OS X 10.8.3 and it's .mobi files I'm trying to send to various Kindle email addresses.

The error message is:

Starting job: Email <book name> to <email address hidden>

Sending failed...

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/email.py", line 37, in run
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/email.py", line 114, in sendmail
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/smtp.py", line 94, in sendmail
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/smtp.py", line 86, in sendmail_direct
IOError: Failed to send mail: error(61, 'Connection refused')

Retrying in 1 seconds...

Sending failed...

File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/email.py", line 37, in run
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/email.py", line 114, in sendmail
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/smtp.py", line 94, in sendmail
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/smtp.py", line 86, in sendmail_direct

Job: "Email <book name> to <email address hidden>" failed with error:
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/threaded_jobs.py", line 83, in start_work
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/email.py", line 92, in __call__

Called with args: (u'/var/folders/y1/bnz1t_v11pgfcrkp04mnb2m00000gn/T/calibre_0.9.28_tmp_xnCaPC/S9rWokcaltmpfmt.mobi', u'<book name>', u'<email address hidden>', u'E-book: <book name>', u'Attached, you will find the e-book\n\n<book name>\n\tby <author>\n\nin the MOBI format.') {u'notifications': <Queue.Queue instance at 0x120b822d8>, u'abort': <threading._Event object at 0x117202190>, u'log': <calibre.utils.logging.GUILog object at 0x117202090>}
gers1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:21 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There have been no changes to emailling in 0.9.28. Read this: http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....ails-using-app
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2013, 05:08 AM   #3
gers1978
Addict
gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've read it already, not sure how it applies? Everything was working fine, and now it's not. I don't want to use Gmail
Old 04-27-2013, 07:16 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Again, it has nothing to do with the update. Whatever server you're sending to has decided your IP address is a spammer. But feel free to disbelieve me, it seems to be a trend these days. If you dont want to use gmail, use hotmail or setup your own mail relay.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:21 AM   #5
gers1978
Addict

I don't disbelieve you, it's simply I can't understand how something that has worked for years just suddenly stops working with no apparent changes other than the .28 update. If you say it's not that, then it's not that.

If I email the SAME books to the SAME email addresses using the SAME email server, but use the Mac's Mail app instead of Calibre, they send fine and the recipient receives them fine. It's only sending from Calibre that doesn't work.

I don't want to use any other service as I assume each person I send books to will then have to go to their Manage My Kindle page and add the new service to their approved list?
Advert
Old 04-27-2013, 07:26 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by gers1978 View Post
If I email the SAME books to the SAME email addresses using the SAME email server, but use the Mac's Mail app instead of Calibre, they send fine and the recipient receives them fine. It's only sending from Calibre that doesn't work.
Mail.app will be using a relay. Seriously, use a relay.

Quote:
I don't want to use any other service as I assume each person I send books to will then have to go to their Manage My Kindle page and add the new service to their approved list?
Assuming your relay is capable of relaying mails with the same from address as you are using currently, then no, they dont have to make any changes.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:32 AM   #7
gers1978
Addict

How do Use a relay?
Old 04-27-2013, 08:09 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You have oto enter your email server information in Preferences->Sharing by email. The simplest way to do that is to use Gmail, for toher servers, you need to figure out the info yourself.