Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-23-2021, 07:19 AM   #1
OneiroDancer
Enthusiast
OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 3, Kobo Clara HD
An Android e-ink reader with good battery life?

I'd like to try an android e-ink device to use mainly for reading, so that I can use Moon Reader, a wide set of dictionaries, occasionally download books directly from the reader, play with Calibre companion, read articles and wikipedia... consider it as an experiment, inspired by the fact that I am currently reading a book on my phone, since at first I couldn't put it on my Kobo Clara HD because I was on the go without a PC, and then I was caught by the much better dictionaries I could easily access.

Just to prevent some ranting: of course I know that it wouldn't be a tablet and many apps would be unusable due to refresh rate: I know and I don't care, I am only interested in reading, accessing dictionaries, taking notes, occasionally browsing the web, in short all thing related to text. The main limitation would therefore be battery life, but I would expect that in a device correctly configured and with network connections only turned on when needed it may be not much worse than those of dedicated e-readers. That's the theory, anyway: it remains to see if such devices exists. Do they?

Of course, I would aim for a reasonably recent version of Android, so that I could try recent applications and look forward to a few years of usage before obsolescense. And to a small size, let's say 6 inches of screen size and 7 inches of physical size – like my current Clara HD.

The Onyx Poke 3 looks decent, but I am not sure how good battery life is. The Tolino shine 3 and vision 4 claim a battery life of a few weeks, but I am not sure how difficult they are to customize as I want them, and what effect would that have on battery life.

Given my requirements, can you recommend one of these readers? Do you have others to suggest?

Last edited by OneiroDancer; 06-23-2021 at 08:42 AM.
OneiroDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 08:38 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Not a suggestion, just I saw mention of Calibre Companion. Just be aware that its current owner is trying to sell the product to someone else, and has basically abandoned it.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2021, 08:41 AM   #3
OneiroDancer
Enthusiast
OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Not a suggestion, just I saw mention of Calibre Companion. Just be aware that its current owner is trying to sell the product to someone else, and has basically abandoned it.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Oh, pity. Thanks for the info. That was just some experimenting I wanted to do, not a real feature I need, so not a big issue
Old 06-23-2021, 08:43 AM   #4
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Tolino runs a very old version of Android. I believe 4.4.2. A lot of apps have moved on and require newer versions of Android.

I get easily a week with my Boox Nova 2 with my usage (7.8" big brother to the Poke 2) I'm pretty lackadaisical about battery as I leave WiFi on all the time when I'm using it and do battery hogging things like read comics streaming over the internet with refreshes over every page. Although I don't use the front light really. You can get better battery life by disabling WiFi, not using Google Play frameworks etc. The dedicated devices from Kobo and the like are probably still more battery efficient but they are slower and less flexible. You won't be charging an Android eInk device as often as an LCD phone or tablet though.

Another device you may wanna take a look at is the Likebook P6. Similar to the Poke 3, little slower but has a microSD card slot.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 10:46 AM   #5
OneiroDancer
Enthusiast

Thank you @salamanderjuice, so I remove Tolino from my list and give some extra point to the Pokes. I'll add the Likebook P6 to my short list, but the Poke 3 seems more interesting, albeit more expensive.
Advert
Old 07-03-2021, 09:58 AM   #6
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
I'm happy with my Poke3 after all the B&N Glows.
I don't know anything about Likebook P6.
SD card would be a plus, but it might affect thickness.
The Poke3 is pretty thin inside.

Edit: Oh, the Likebook P6 is only 16G/1G vs Poke3 32G/2G
Likebook is USB 2.0 vs Poke3 USB3.1 and a Type C connector.
Likebook is quad core vs Poke3 octo core.
Likebook is Android 8 vs Poke3 Android 10

Last edited by Renate; 07-03-2021 at 10:12 AM.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 02:45 PM   #7
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Likebook P6 is only 16G/1G vs Poke3 32G/2G
Likebook is USB 2.0 vs Poke3 USB3.1 and a Type C connector.
Likebook is quad core vs Poke3 octo core.
Likebook is Android 8 vs Poke3 Android 10
I have both.
When I'm on foot, I take the Poke 3 - I don't need more.
The P6 is my companion when traveling - the 512 GB NTFS SD card in the device is more important to me in this case than the more elegant slim design, 15g less weight, a little more power, two-tone light and Android 10, which is not advantageous at 6 inches.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 06:07 AM   #8
OneiroDancer
Enthusiast

I ended up buying the Poke3, I have fiddled with it just the minimum for comfortable reading and I'm pretty satisfied. With the power down set, as per default, at 15 minutes, battery usage is really minimal, and the 20 or 30 seconds of startup time are acceptable to me.
Old 07-09-2021, 09:37 AM   #9
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Make sure you set it to battery saver mode. It freezes apps in the background so they use less juice. You find it by touching the top of screen on the home screen. The option is like a battery icon.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 04:39 AM   #10
OneiroDancer
Enthusiast

Thank you – but I cannot find the option! On the Home screen (that would be the Library section I get a popup if I clic on the Brightnes and on the Refresh icon, but not on the wifi or on the battery icons. I searched for the option in Settings, but I couldn't find it.

With this option, would I be able to unset the Power off timeout and get a good battery life?