Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Development

Notices

Old 06-21-2021, 09:25 PM   #1
jpwhiting
jpwhiting began at the beginning.

Device: Android phone
Plugin dependencies

Hello, I thought I'd take a stab at making a google play books upload plugin for calibre.

I created a test python3 script that is able to upload a test epub file to my google drive after authenticating, getting permission, etc. using google-api-python-client and google-auth-oauthlib, etc. and made a gui calibre plugin to upload selected books on button press, but am having difficulty getting the python dependencies figured out.

From looking at the WordDumb plugin example I see they are using pip to install their dependencies. Is that the best way to go about it? From reading https://gis.stackexchange.com/questi...python-library I thought maybe I'd just include the dependent .whl files inside the .zip, add them to the python path, and import that way, but that doesn't seem to work. When my plugin is loaded it complains that it can't find the googleapiclient module still with those paths in the python path.

I guess if needed I can pip install the dependencies on any user's device, but that seems a bit overreaching. What's the best way to approach this?

thanks,
Jeremy Whiting
jpwhiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 10:27 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The plugin zip file is added to the sys.path if you do

with self:
import your dependencies here

I dont recall if python is capable of loading whl files from within zip files, probably safer to bundle the deps as ordinary python files.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 02:58 PM   #3
jpwhiting

Thank you for the quick reply Kovid. I'm not quite sure what you mean by that. I took a stab at what you mean in action.py on my "implemtation" branch here, but the line with "with self:" gives an error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre_plugins.play_books_upload.action", line 110, in upload_books
AttributeError: __enter__

https://github.com/jpwhiting/play-bo...action.py#L110

I've not seen "from self:" before in python examples anywhere, so am not quite sure what that is for, etc. If I try the imports without that, the upload action errors saying it can't find googleapiclient module which is there in the zip of the plugin.
Old 06-22-2021, 10:26 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

self here is the plugin object not the interfaceaction object, if you want to do it in the InterfaceAction use with self.actual_plugin
Old 06-23-2021, 12:17 AM   #5
jpwhiting

Thanks for your help, but I'm still not following. action.py's PlayUploadAction class doesn't have any actual_plugin in it. Adding one with the same string value as __init__.py didn't seem to help either. It seems like the "with" keyword doesn't know what to do with a string (self.actual_plugin is defined as a string with value 'calibre_plugins.play_books_upload.action:PlayUplo adAction') or am I missing something?

Here's what I get with the force push I did to my implementation branch now:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre_plugins.play_books_upload.action", line 112, in upload_books
AttributeError: __enter__

from reading this:

The with statement is a control-flow structure whose basic structure is:

with expression [as variable]:
with-block

The expression is evaluated, and it should result in an object that supports the context management protocol (that is, has __enter__() and __exit__() methods).

I think self.actual_plugin which is just a string doesn't have that __enter__() or __exit__() method like a file for example would.
Old 06-23-2021, 12:28 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Sorry got the name wrong, you want

self.interface_action_base_plugin
Old 06-23-2021, 12:39 PM   #7
jpwhiting

Perfect. Works like a charm. Now to get the other kinks worked out. Thanks again kovid.
Old 09-10-2021, 02:23 AM   #8
jpwhiting

Ok, now after it working well for a while all of a sudden it has issues on the second time the action is triggered. I've got the following pattern:

with self.interface_action_base_plugin:
import googleapiclient.discovery
import google_auth_oauthlib.flow

etc.

On the second try the import fails because it's trying to import from a temp folder that has since gotten deleted. C:\\Users\\jeremy\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\calibre_k r5ouawl\\6915rm5iplugin_unzip

Is there some method to make the plugin unzip not get deleted when the first action finishes? Maybe I need to assign the result of the with operation to a class variable so it stays around until calibre closes or something?
Old 09-10-2021, 02:28 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Manage it yourself if you need to import things repeatedly. See the __enter__ method of the Plugin class. Or just assign your imported things to some global variable the first time they are imported and use that.
Old 09-10-2021, 09:39 AM   #10
jpwhiting

Perfect. Extracting my dependencies next to my secrets file in a temp folder makes import once work as expected. Thanks kovidgoyal

Tags
dependencies, pip, plugins, whl