Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-12-2010, 03:50 PM   #1
Rootman
Groupie
Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Android & FBReader
Question So, what would your PERFECT eBook device be like?

Well, I know plenty have expressed their opinion and I have mine too. I've got a Kindle DX and just love it, I can't help to wonder all that it COULD become.

I see the merging of tablet PC an ereaders as being inevitable, I mean as color e-ink , OLED or something else screens that sip battery juice the screens ability to reproduce color and moving images will be there. As with any product as they seek cover more demographical groups the functions will merge.

I can also see the need for cell phone wireless AS WELL AS WiFi wireless to take advantage of speed or closed systems not available over cell phone. Perhaps te cell phone access by subscription and WiFi access built in as default.

Combined functions - a FULL function web browser, a GPS, an MP3 player and a usable OS open for games and etc.

I guess my ideal reader would be an iPhone or iPod touch with a larger reflective (rather than emmisive or back lit screen).

I personally have little use for a cell phone and carry one as required by my company but don't use it for much of anything. 15 to 20 minutes a month is enough for me so a full "iPhone" with the calling plan would just be a waste. If the screen were bigger, the screen reflective and no cell phone option I'd buy it in a minute.

Now all you "just an ereader folks will be sure to chime in but with these devices getting cheaper, lighter and more powerful doesn't it stand to reason to have it ALL in one device even if you don't or seldom use it?
Rootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:57 PM   #2
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
Must have SDHC card reader, no sale if it doesn't.
Wifi, don't need 3G myself.
At least a 9" screen, need to be able to read PDF files without zoom or reflow.
Touch screen, but also a button for page turns as an option.
Must have folder view, no sale if it doesn't.
Built-in back light (or side light) would be nice.
Very thin and light.
Great battery life.
No more than $399.
Matte screen finish, not glossy.
Mini USB for charging and copy/paste for eBooks.
Ability to read a large array of formats, no DRM support needed.
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2010, 04:02 PM   #3
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
I don't know about having it all, but I'm so spoiled from reading on my netbook now, that I can tell you I will never go back to a device that doesn't read everything natively. That pretty much leaves out every e-ink device currently on the market, unfortunately. I also love the ability to search for an author's bibliography on a whim, (I read a lot of series). I do still want something with a tablet or slate form factor, though, or maybe dual screen like the Edge or the MSI dual screen device.

As I state nearly every post, this is only my opinion. I don't expect it to tally with anyone elses. Which means that I don't want to justify why I want what I want, and I don't want to argue about it. It's just my opinion.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:03 PM   #4
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
e-Ink static page quality with LCD screen responsiveness.
large screen (9"+)
lots of navigation options.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:05 PM   #5
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
I'm one of those "I just want to read" folks

My perfect device is my prs-600 (almost):

What I would change:

-Multiple dictionary support, multiple languages
-Clearer screen, but keep the finger touchscreen (whatever the technical term is)
-Easily configurable font, every language supported

What I would keep:

-NO wireless connectivity (I'm oldfashioned like that), though an offline version of wikipedia would be nice

I won't deny it needs a few more minor adjustments, like keeping the zoom between page turns, note-taking on zoomed documents, etc etc, but generally I'm happy with it.

I'll edit with new features if anything occurs to me, I'm sure I'm forgetting something important

[EDIT] A magical backlight would be nice, one that I would turn on only at night, and have off any other time. And its brightness should be adjustable too!

Another idea is that the screen would be paper thin and could be rolled in a scroll (from scrolls to paper books to ebooks to scrolls again ), but I'm not sure if it would be easy to hold and navigate. Have to think a little more about that...

Last edited by omk3; 01-13-2010 at 12:28 PM.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2010, 04:10 PM   #6
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would really rather have a slate/tablet than a dedicated ebook reader too.
Must have Win XP or Win7.
At least 9" screen.
Haptic touch would be nice.
At least 6 hour battery life.
Must have a very small bezel around the screen, the front should be almost all screen.
Must have built-in SDHC card reader.
USB host and slave.
WiFi, no 3G needed.
GPS would be nice.
Bluetooth.
Must be very thin and light.
Would be willing to pay up to $699 for the right device.

I just want a nice thin netbook with no keyboard and a touchscreen!
Old 01-12-2010, 04:10 PM   #7
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
SMALL screen. I like the 5" screens. Ideally, a folding screen that transitions easily between the 5" screen, and one twice that size. (As long as we're thinking color tablet functions with e-ink battery life, why not?) I want to be able to comfortably hold it one one hand & read standing on the train.

Long battery life. Full day (16 hrs) of constant use as a baseline minimum.

Those two are the important functions--I'll give up a lot of other features for them.

Better file sorting. Folders would probably be sufficient for me, but I'd like categories/series ability as well. (I could do this w/Calibre, but not without reloading books. I want a way to organize files already on my reader.)

Expandable memory. Many filetypes. Not fragile; non-glass screen. Many font sizes. Custom font ability.

Wireless would be nice but since I've never had it, I don't miss it. But I wouldn't mind some tablet functions--address book, memo pad, maybe simple games.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:16 PM   #8
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyGuy View Post
I would really rather have a slate/tablet than a dedicated ebook reader too.
Must have Win XP or Win7.
At least 9" screen.
Haptic touch would be nice.
At least 6 hour battery life.
Must have a very small bezel around the screen, the front should be almost all screen.
Must have built-in SDHC card reader.
USB host and slave.
WiFi, no 3G needed.
GPS would be nice.
Bluetooth.
Must be very thin and light.
Would be willing to pay up to $699 for the right device.

I just want a nice thin netbook with no keyboard and a touchscreen!
You said better than I did! Yeah, that's pretty much it. "A nice thin netbook with no keyboard and a touchscreen." Running Windows 7.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:35 PM   #9
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Funny I guess I must be the exception.
I've got a Jetbook and I'm totally happy with it.

Wide range of format types.
Easy to load via usb plug or SD card.
Very crisp screen with several font sizes.
Battery life is pretty good as it averages 18 - 20 hours between charges.
DRM really hasn't mattered to me up to this point as I seldom can afford to buy books.
But it sounds like even that is in the next firmware release.

Improvements perhaps, like the low battery warning only popping up 3 times over the last hour instead of every few minutes. Or perhaps actually telling me how long till the unit will shut down and have to be charged so I can plan accordingly.

Rather than endless new variations on the same theme hardware wise I'd prefer to see actual standards being set for formats. So that a year or 2 from now if you buy or download a book, or borrow an ebook from a Library you could put it on any device and have it work.

Perhaps we will have to create a new group to do it. The international coalition of ebook readers or something.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:37 PM   #10
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Perfect ebook device?
If it was a dedicated device it is almost already there. Just add on:
- Color eink technology like mirasol
- Fast page refresh
- Full PDF support
- Lots of formats supported without DRM
- 10" screen
- Matt finish
- Decent battery life (doesn't have to be huge).

My list of demands is FAR higher for tablet devices that also act as ereaders. But for dedicated devices, we are already approaching great quality with some of these readers. by 2011 I think my wish list will be fulfilled.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:42 PM   #11
CyGuy
Avid Reader

I agree that the dedicated devices are very close to being adequate.

But now I want a multi-function device: eBooks, videos, pictures, web surfing, movies, note taking, spreadsheets, etc etc. I really do think that my Samsung netbook is just perfect as far as it's abilities, it is just not the right form factor.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:11 PM   #12
mediax
Readaholic
mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2 (previously 505 and 650)
I've got a Sony PRS 505 and I have only two real wants:

1) A facility to correct typos as I read - so that I don't have to go back to the version on my pc, find the appropriate spot and change the rogue character(s). I'm not too fussed about the interface (using the side buttons like a mobile phone for messaging would be perfectly adequate).

2) Far, far better handling of large (A4 size) PDFs.

The page refresh speed put me off buying a reader for some time, but I've never really found it an issue.
mediax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:36 PM   #13
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Easy.

My current jetBook, with hyperlinks and user loadable fonts.
+
My current Dell X51, with a 5" screen.

Those two cover pretty much all the bases.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:59 PM   #14
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
At this point.... My PRS-300 with a magic screen with no glass, that lights up perfectly in the dark, adjust to ambient light, and becomes like the eInk screen in sunlight. Plus, would have a fast refresh. I'm pretty simple really....... I do NOT want a touch screen, but I think it's pretty clear that is all that will be available in the near future....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:19 PM   #15
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
The OLED, 11" Apple Tablet.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote