Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 11:57 AM   #121
jylo
jylo began at the beginning.

Device: N647
Quote:
Originally Posted by jylo View Post
Hello, My Kobo N647 can't connect to Wi-Fi and caliber anymore. Please can you help sending the image SD card. Thanks.
Thanks Davidfor for the PM. This image is linked to an account which already has some books on it. In order to set up my account on the ereader, I have to set up my WIFI credentials and the ereader do not allow that. So I did a factory reset and I'm back to square one on this. I have already reflash it with the image. It looks like this ereader will not connect to WIFI anymore.
Old 05-24-2019, 08:52 PM   #122
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jylo View Post
Thanks Davidfor for the PM. This image is linked to an account which already has some books on it.
I'm surprised at that as I thought all the images I have were post factory reset.
Quote:
In order to set up my account on the ereader, I have to set up my WIFI credentials and the ereader do not allow that. So I did a factory reset and I'm back to square one on this. I have already reflash it with the image. It looks like this ereader will not connect to WIFI anymore.
That's probably because Kobo dropped support for these devices earlier in the year. I'd been wondering if this would be a problem, but wasn't sure. You might be able to use the Kobo desktop application to do the setup.
Advert
Old 05-25-2019, 06:18 PM   #123
Zero_Ego
Zero_Ego began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi (N647), Mini
N647 firmware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
PM sent in response to one of the other requests.

Hello,

Any chance I could also get a copy of the firmware please? I have the Kobo N647.

Also, I read that I can use Etcher to burn the images, is that correct.

I hope I am posting in the correct place.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-25-2019, 08:40 PM   #124
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Zero_ego: You need to enable Private Messaging. This is in the "Edit Options" of the control panel. If this isn't there, it has to be added somehow. A recent person who had this issue solved it in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=319819.

As to tools, I don't know what "Etcher" is. If it is an image writer for SD cards, then it should work.
Old 05-26-2019, 12:04 AM   #125
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
As to tools, I don't know what "Etcher" is. If it is an image writer for SD cards, then it should work.
Seems likely that he is referring to balena's Etcher. While it worked when I tested it, the portable version clocked in at over 82,731KB compared to the USB Duplicator Writer at 926KB. I didn't have a corrupt card handy to test it's ability to detect a corrupted card but then I've made a habit of using the SD Card Association format utility before copying an image to a SD card. Since the USB Duplicator Writer will not let me select a hard drive to overwrite, I didn't feel the drive selection in Etcher had any advantages from that point of view. The ability to use the same app across Windows, MacOSX and Linux was appealing.

Etcher for anyone who wants to take a look at it.

And yes, I know worrying about 80MB is a bit anal but then my original hard drive was a massive 10MB. Old habits die hard.
Advert
Old 05-26-2019, 12:36 AM   #126
Zero_Ego

Quote:
@Zero_ego: You need to enable Private Messaging. This is in the "Edit Options" of the control panel. If this isn't there, it has to be added somehow. A recent person who had this issue solved it in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=319819.

Thank you for the kind reply.

I am confused regarding enabling Private Messaging. I could not find reference to "Private Messaging". I did find that "Visitor Messaging" is check thus enabled. You have thrown this newbie a curve ball. I will contact admin. ty.
Old 05-26-2019, 01:09 AM   #127
Zero_Ego

N647

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Seems likely that he is referring to balena's Etcher. While it worked when I tested it, the portable version clocked in at over 82,731KB compared to the USB Duplicator Writer at 926KB. I didn't have a corrupt card handy to test it's ability to detect a corrupted card but then I've made a habit of using the SD Card Association format utility before copying an image to a SD card. Since the USB Duplicator Writer will not let me select a hard drive to overwrite, I didn't feel the drive selection in Etcher had any advantages from that point of view. The ability to use the same app across Windows, MacOSX and Linux was appealing.

Etcher for anyone who wants to take a look at it.

And yes, I know worrying about 80MB is a bit anal but then my original hard drive was a massive 10MB. Old habits die hard.
Thanks for the great head up!
Old 05-26-2019, 02:12 PM   #128
Zero_Ego

N647 firmware.

Quote:

Hello again davidfor,

I believe PM is now enabled. Thank you for your kind patience.
Old 05-26-2019, 07:55 PM   #129
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero_Ego View Post
Hello again davidfor,

I believe PM is now enabled. Thank you for your kind patience.
Yep, PM sent.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:09 AM   #130
Zero_Ego

Thank you davidfor.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:29 AM   #131
paylord
paylord began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Hi Anyone got this sd image file still? I need it for n647b please. Fixing friends that is stuck in boot loop. so gonna see if this fixes it
Old 06-04-2019, 10:18 AM   #132
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

PM sent.
Old 06-08-2019, 08:56 PM   #133
blinder
blinder began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo N647
Hello,

I was just “gifted” with old broken Kobo N647. It stuck in boot sequence.
I pulled SD card out of it and mounted it with USB reader.

Looks like it has 3 partitions on that 2GB SD card.

sdg 1.9G
├─sdg1 257.6M ext2 /run/media/user/9b495e40-43cb-4761-8903-0c17a98650a2
├─sdg2 513.4M ext2 /run/media/user/55119229-71cf-4548-9f75-7c9a43e9aaf1
└─sdg3 1.1G vfat /run/media/user/KOBOeReader

I made an image of that card and mounted it locally on my Linux PC for inspection. After filesystem check and discovered that the second partition ( ext2 513 MB) has some corrupted files. Here is the list:

libQtWebKit.so.4 in /usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib
libQtXmlPatterns.so.4.6.2 in /usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib
libQtSql.so.4.6 in /usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib
libQtSql.so in /usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib
libQtXml.so in /usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib
libQtGui.so in /usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib
libQtXmlPatterns.so in /usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib
wpa_passphrase in /bin
wpa_cli in /bin
wpa_supplicant in /bin
ntx_hwconfig in /bin
70-persistent-net.rules in /etc/udev/rules.d

Looks like that it the reason preventing me booting up.

I checked whole SD card with badblocks write/read surface test scan and it did not find any issues with SD card. I tried to re-image different SD card with original image I pulled and it is showing the same boot issue. So it looks like it is not SD card issue, but those 12 corrupted files.

They are not zero sized, it looks like they missing some parts in them ;-). The 3rd partition (1.1GB FAT32) looks like to have all intact structure with .kobo folder present.

# ls -lsa /run/media/v/KOBOeReader/.kobo
total 4548
4 drwxr-xr-x 7 v v 4096 Aug 18 2011 .
4 drwxr-xr-x 8 v v 4096 Dec 31 1969 ..
4 drwxr-xr-x 3 v v 4096 Dec 24 2010 adobe
4 -rw-r--r-- 1 v v 25 Aug 18 2011 affiliate.conf
4 drwxr-xr-x 2 v v 4096 Feb 4 2001 'Borders Desktop'
4 -rw-r--r-- 1 v v 80 Feb 4 2001 device.salt.conf
4 -rw-r--r-- 1 v v 10 Aug 18 2011 epoch.conf
52 drwxr-xr-x 2 v v 53248 Feb 4 2001 images
16 drwxr-xr-x 2 v v 16384 Feb 4 2001 kepub
4 drwxr-xr-x 2 v v 4096 Aug 18 2011 Kobo
4436 -rw-r--r-- 1 v v 4542464 Aug 18 2011 KoboReader.sqlite
4 -rw-r--r-- 1 v v 15 Aug 18 2011 timezone.conf
4 -rw-r--r-- 1 v v 2617 Dec 24 2010 Trolltech.conf
4 -rw-r--r-- 1 v v 81 Aug 18 2011 version

I tried to do factory reset, but it did not help. I think one of those smaller partitions might have all the files to generate and apply factory image. Is that true, if so how do I do that?

If there is no way to fix my issue from existing files, I would appreciate original factory image of latest working stable SD card image. Thank you.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:22 PM   #134
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

One of the two ext2 partitions is the root partition, and the other is the recovery partition. There recovery partition is used for the factory reset. You could probably recover it if you want, but, restoring an image is a lot quicker. So...

PM sent.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:21 PM   #135
blinder
blinder began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo N647
Thumbs up

Thank you, davidfor. It works. It strange that forum engine does not allow me to post bigger reply here. It thinks it is a duplicate reply.
Closed Thread

Tags
help needed, image, kobo, kobo firmware, kobo wifi