Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-21-2010, 09:55 AM   #136
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
Are Bookeen and Pocketbook as antagonized as companies as their users are? Every Bookeen thread has the menace of a Pocketbook comparison elsewhere, it's even funny
I think Bookeen and Pocketbook appeal to different types of users. I'm a Bookeen type myself: I want something robust and simple, and as long as the reading comfort is good, I'm happy enough. Pocketbook is probably more for people who want more functionalities and don't mind acting as beta testers now and then (a few bugs are OK as long as the firmware is updated often enough).

Generally speaking though, techies seem to be overly fond of wars and seem to feel best when there is an Evil Enemy to fight. Or maybe that's just the Internet effect?

I wonder if hardback lovers ever get into similar fights with the paperback crowd?
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:56 AM   #137
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
probably they do ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2010, 09:57 AM   #138
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
probably they do ....
I wish I could see that. I'm for paperbacks myself. Hardbacks suck!
Old 09-21-2010, 10:01 AM   #139
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I prefer my art books to be in hard book !
Old 09-21-2010, 11:36 AM   #140
Mange
Enthusiast
Mange has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mange has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mange has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mange has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mange has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS650, T1, Kindle touch, PocketBook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
Let's try an experiment:
While reading, holding the paperback in your left hand, you lift your right to take a sip of coffee.
Now grab your sandwich. With your left hand.

What happens?

The paperback folds.

You can of course change hands or put down the coffeecup or put down your book, but then you have to turn it upside down to stop it from closing.

Then of course there's this:
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC024593-300x225.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	58561

Take care,
Magnus
Mange is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2010, 02:08 AM   #141
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
You're so wrong! Scrolls are it!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 03:58 AM   #142
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Well, let's face it, things have been going downhill anyway since we abandoned the only perfect medium: cave walls.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:14 AM   #143
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Well, let's face it, things have been going downhill anyway since we abandoned the only perfect medium: cave walls.
Well, cave walls had one major problem... They didn't fit in a suit case!
Old 09-22-2010, 10:13 AM   #144
GeoffC

and they got damp !
Old 09-22-2010, 10:14 AM   #145
GeoffC

and you can't (easily) cuddle up to a cave wall whilst in bed
Old 09-22-2010, 10:49 AM   #146
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
I'm with you, hardbacks (and their bastard sons the hardback-sized paperback) need to die a horrible death. Bigger, heavier and more expensive, sign me up!
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:48 PM   #147
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I never thought I would move from those beautiful cuneiform engraved granite tables... but I do admit, reading scrolls is a bit easier... even if they are just so crude and ugly looking.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:30 PM   #148
Mange
Enthusiast
Mange has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mange has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mange has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mange has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mange has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS650, T1, Kindle touch, PocketBook Touch
The scrollthing is actually something I mention when some customer come in and ask about our ereaders.
If they have a negative attitude and pull the "books-been-around-forever" card I usually tell them that they're wrong and the books have only been around for 500 years or so. The scrolls were around much longer. 1500 years or so. And there were probably just as much comments then when books came: "Do I have to turn a bit of parchment every 10 or 15 sentences? Crazy! I'll never be able to learn that. No, give me something continous anyday ..."

Take care,
Magnus
Mange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 02:10 AM   #149
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mange View Post
The scrollthing is actually something I mention when some customer come in and ask about our ereaders.
If they have a negative attitude and pull the "books-been-around-forever" card I usually tell them that they're wrong and the books have only been around for 500 years or so. The scrolls were around much longer. 1500 years or so. And there were probably just as much comments then when books came: "Do I have to turn a bit of parchment every 10 or 15 sentences? Crazy! I'll never be able to learn that. No, give me something continous anyday ..."

Take care,
Magnus
That's a good point, I'll need to remember that.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:11 AM   #150
FBoespflug
Enthusiast
FBoespflug has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FBoespflug has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FBoespflug has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony 505
And what about dictionnaries in the Orizon or Pocketbook? There are some of them in the new Sony.
FBoespflug is offline   Reply With Quote