Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-16-2009, 12:10 AM   #1
Nake
Nake began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Cannot redownload purchased book

HI everyone,

I just did a reinstall of Windows Vista on my PC and had to reinstall everything after a bit of a crash. Everything's back running fine and I reinstalled the eBook Library software (version 2.5) and logged into my online account to re-download my previously purchased books via the "View and/or Download Books I own" option from "My Account".

I could download everything except for one book -- this one particular book shows in my queue just like the others, and has seeming valid attributes such as size of 388 KB and a purchase date of 2008-12-06. But when I try the "download now" button, it will always crash the eBook software with the following error:

APPCRASH
eBook Library.exe
fault module name: fsk.dll

So I can't download it and I also can't find a way to remove it from my purchased list.

The book is "Secret Vampire" by L.J. Smith. It was a free download I haven't yet read and would be happy just to delete it, but I can't find a way.

The interesting thing is that when I click on the title of the ebook in my queue, while every other book link takes me to the book's entry in the online store, this one takes me to an empty and badly formatted page.

When I go searching for the book "Secret Vampire" in the online book store, it's not there, but there's a similarly named title -- almost like it was deleted and re-added with a new title, "Night World No. 1 Secret Vampire; Daughters of Darkness; Spellbinder".

Can anyone suggest a solution? I think the issue is with the online store and not with any config or library files on my PC.

I've e-mailed online support but I'm not hopefull for a solution given other's comments about long phone hold times and never replied-to e-mails.

Thanks in advance!
Nake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 06:04 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've called Sony for help with the eBookstore and had no trouble with long hold times. I suggest giving them a call.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2009, 08:18 PM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
It may have something to do with the fact that the book isn't available anymore (not technically anyway).

I would call Sony, maybe they'll toss you the current version of the book for free.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:25 PM   #4
Nake

After reading feedback in other threads regarding Sony's customer care, I was pessimistic I would get anywhere. But as I said, I did send them an e-mail and I got a reply pretty quickly asking me to call their customer service number because I probably needed to speak to their tech folks.

This morning I cheerfully called them and got level 1 support, and this guy was surprisingly analytical. I say that because he came to the same conclusion I did... ha ha

But he documented the issue, was able to reproduce it by logging into my account and saw the same things I was seeing. He said he'd run it up the flag pole to the higher levels of support and they would work to fix the situation which may involve some sort of credit to my account.

He said that I should hear something within 48 hours... But I'll give them until early next week since technically this is a holiday weekend.

Will be sure to post the follow-up as it occurs.

I'm glad that this forum is here to share info...

Last edited by Nake; 01-16-2009 at 08:29 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:29 PM   #5
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nake View Post
After receiving some of the feedback of Sony's customer care, I was pessimistic I would get anywhere. But as I said, I did send them an e-mail and I got a reply pretty quickly asking me to call their customer service number because I probably needed to speak to their tech folks.

This morning I cheerfully called them and got level 1 support, but this guy was surprisingly with it. I say that because he came to the same conclusion I did... ha ha

But he documented the issue, was able to reproduce it by logging into my account and saw the same things I was seeing. He said he'd run it up the flag pole to the higher levels of support and they would work to fix the situation which may involve some sort of credit to my account.

He said that I should hear something within 48 hours... But I'll give them until early next week since technically this is a holiday weekend.

Will be sure to post the follow-up as it occurs.

I'm glad that this forum is here to share info...

Glad you are getting somewhere I'm sure they'll get back to you with something. At a minimum, at least you didn't pay for the original book
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2009, 01:24 AM   #6
Nake

Well, it's been a week and no response from Sony. Sigh. I was hoping for a different outcome, for a response within the 2 days they promised. I'll follow up with them via phone tomorrow I guess. I checked the online store tonight and the dead-link book is still there, from all accounts nothing's been done so far.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:41 AM   #7
Nake

I'm disappointed and disgusted to announce that I did call back with my incident number and they did nothing and were planning to close the case with no communication.

They recognized that the book in my downloaded list no longer exists in the store and were just going to say "Huh, imagine that" and move on.

So I asked them to remove the freakin' thing from my purchased list so as to avoid problems and not have garbage building up in my purchased list and gee, that seemed like a good idea to them, too.

So they claimed they would look into it further and see if they can't get the link removed from my purchased book list (which is what I asked them to do the first time).

They seemed to be focused more on 'well, it was a free book anyway so you're not losing anything' rather than the fact that the link IS broken and crashes their software when I attempt to download it... He observed that they apparently don't do such a good job managing the impact of when they rename or move a book around their store. YA THINK??!

Let me tell you, this really has me disappointed in Sony. I guess I should have gone with the Amazon Kindle, perhaps a device from a company whose daily business is online commerce and managing an online marketplace would be a lot better choice... Can't see how it'd be much worse.

Last edited by Nake; 01-26-2009 at 12:46 AM.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:03 PM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nake View Post
HI everyone,

I just did a reinstall of Windows Vista on my PC and had to reinstall everything after a bit of a crash. Everything's back running fine and I reinstalled the eBook Library software (version 2.5) and logged into my online account to re-download my previously purchased books via the "View and/or Download Books I own" option from "My Account".

I could download everything except for one book -- this one particular book shows in my queue just like the others, and has seeming valid attributes such as size of 388 KB and a purchase date of 2008-12-06. But when I try the "download now" button, it will always crash the eBook software with the following error:

APPCRASH
eBook Library.exe
fault module name: fsk.dll

So I can't download it and I also can't find a way to remove it from my purchased list.

The book is "Secret Vampire" by L.J. Smith. It was a free download I haven't yet read and would be happy just to delete it, but I can't find a way.

The interesting thing is that when I click on the title of the ebook in my queue, while every other book link takes me to the book's entry in the online store, this one takes me to an empty and badly formatted page.

When I go searching for the book "Secret Vampire" in the online book store, it's not there, but there's a similarly named title -- almost like it was deleted and re-added with a new title, "Night World No. 1 Secret Vampire; Daughters of Darkness; Spellbinder".

Can anyone suggest a solution? I think the issue is with the online store and not with any config or library files on my PC.

I've e-mailed online support but I'm not hopefull for a solution given other's comments about long phone hold times and never replied-to e-mails.

Thanks in advance!
I also tried to redownload this book, and got an error message. It was very aggravating, as I was doing a bulk download of selected items; the software would hang, terminating the process.

It took forever to isolate Secret Vampire as the culprit.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 01:42 AM   #9
Nake

Well, as of tonight they STILL haven't resolved the issue, the book remains in my purchased queue like a forgotten landmine.

A poor online store experience can overwhelm a person's feelings of happiness with their reader, Sony. Would I recommend the Reader over the Kindle? Not necessarily anymore...