Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 10-08-2008, 11:32 AM   #1
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?
shighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enough

Device: EBW 1150, Kobo Touch
Thinking about a total package.

All,

I've been showing my wife how "Easy" it is to convert books and move them onto my EBW. She watched me for a while, and decided I was insane.

So from a non techie her needs follow:

1) A simple package that will install IMPServe, build, and all tools needed to convert books / store them as HTML and download to the reader converting on the fly.

2) A Form of GUI where she can load the manager and then close it when done.

So thinking about this, I took the "launcher" program I wrote a couple of weeks ago, and have started adding calls to the various conversion tools. For quick updating of things like Nick's tools... Would it be possible to use a page on the WIKI or somethign more static then a forum thread for getting the new versions so I can attempt to build the feature into the launcher?

She's really made me think with all the talent in this forum, we can make this stuff easy for the non techie's to use. (Granted it is easy, if you read a couple of posts etc, but as she told me "I don't want to read that, you guys are boring.")

What do we think?
shighfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 11:51 AM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
That is a good use of the wiki.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2008, 05:25 PM   #3
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
I'm all for it! The attachments to my tools in the forum posts are static until the next "update"...

How can I help make this worK for you? (I've already got all the tools installed... )

The wiki pages use a filename as it's "link"; so as long as that filename doesn't change from version to version, you're ok. This filename can be used by your script, tricky, but can be made to work.

However, a simpler alternative would be to download the files from the posts yourself first and include them in your installer. The filesize would be HUGE, but at least you know what each tool will be called and where it is stored. However, you'll have to update your installer whenever one of the tools gets updated, though.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 06:43 PM   #4
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
My thought is that, if it wasn't such a huge pain in the ass to do, more people might get into creating books for more of the readers.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:12 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
My thought is that, if it wasn't such a huge pain in the ass to do, more people might get into creating books for more of the readers.
For many formats, it's not a "huge pain in the ass". Using MobiPocket Creator, for example, creating nice-looking books is extremely straightforward.

What eBook creation tools have you used that you've found to be the PITA that you describe?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2008, 08:16 AM   #6
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?
shighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enough

Nick: Forgive me for asking before I look. <cough> Have you created a step by step walkthrough for installing everything yet? As for including the tools in the archive that might be the best way to go, and to start as new versions are out we'll make it easy to upgrade. (Unzip to this directory)

I've almost got something to show you guys... Unfortunately my programming skills are rusty, and I never learned a modern language so I'm learning as I go.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:32 AM   #7
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Easy setup instructions for converting certain files to .imp

Quote:
Originally Posted by shighfield View Post
Nick: Forgive me for asking before I look. <cough> Have you created a step by step walkthrough for installing everything yet? As for including the tools in the archive that might be the best way to go, and to start as new versions are out we'll make it easy to upgrade. (Unzip to this directory)

I've almost got something to show you guys... Unfortunately my programming skills are rusty, and I never learned a modern language so I'm learning as I go.
<cough> I just pulled this out from my back pocket... <cough> <cough>

Lit2sb (lit to imp) Homepage: Convert .lit directly into .IMP formats
1. Unzip s32lit2sb.zip
2. Read s32lit2sb-INSTRUCTIONS-by-NR.txt
2a. Install the s32lit2sb.exe program.
2b. Create empty files called 'debug' and 'GEB1150' using a text editor in the installed directory.
2c. Update the clit14.exe file in the Home directory with the clit.exe (version 1.8) command-line program installed by ConvertLIT GUI.
2d. 'Associate' the .lit filetype with the lit2sb.exe program, using these dos commands:
Code:
c:\>assoc .lit=LitFile
c:\>ftype LitFile="C:\Program Files\lit2sb\lit2sb.exe" "%1"
3. Replace installed lit2sb.exe with the updated version contained in this .zip: lit2sb.zip
4. Just double-click the .lit file and it will be automatically converted into .imp format.

Mobi2IMP Homepage: Mobi2IMP 9.4 with new Windows GUI & UTF-8
1. Unzip Mobi2IMP-9.4-Installer.zip
2. Install the Mobi2IMP-9.4.exe program
3. Update the Mobi2IMP.exe in the install directory's bin folder with the updated version contained in this .zip (if any): Mobi2IMP-9.4b-dos.zip
4. Copy the start menu icon for Mobi2IMP to the desktop for easier access to start the Mobi2IMP GUI.
5. Start the GUI, select an input file, check any applicable options and click Convert.

PDFRead Homepage: PDFRead 1.8 released!
1. Unzip pdfread-1.8.2-Installer.zip
2. Install the pdfread-1.8.2.exe program
3. Copy the start menu icon for PDFRead to the desktop for easier access to start the PDFRead GUI.
4. Start the GUI, select an input file, in format, output format, enter Title & Author & Category, check any applicable options and click Convert.

p.s. Just 'quote' this message to see all the links in their original form.

Last edited by nrapallo; 10-30-2008 at 06:46 PM. Reason: added title
Old 10-09-2008, 07:05 PM   #8
derrell
Jack O' Apes
derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Nokia N810, EZ-Reader, HTC Droid Incredible, Archos 70
Quote:
Just curious which lang are you using, and what utilities were you thinking of including? The list of things that might need to be installed could get really large very quickly.
derrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 04:44 PM   #9
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrell View Post
Just curious which lang are you using, and what utilities were you thinking of including? The list of things that might need to be installed could get really large very quickly.
The utilities are the python scripts / impserve etc. Basically take the existing tools and write a GUI wrapper around them all to make it easy to work with.

I'm trying to decide on a language now so I don't end up with somethign windows only as I'm mainly a mac guy.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:46 PM   #10
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?

Thanks Nick! I have something to try for the long weekend. We have our turkey on Saturday so sunday and Monday I'll be buried in a editor.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:37 PM   #11
nrapallo

Quote:
Thanks Nick! I have something to try for the long weekend. We have our turkey on Saturday so sunday and Monday I'll be buried in a editor.
It will be a hot one this weekend, so be sure to stick your head out, once in a while.

We don't have many more "hot" days left here, do we?

I'll be having turkey on Sunday up at the cottage (Bluewater Beach) where I DON'T have an internet connection...

Oh, well, got to read some time...

BTW, thanks for the heads up on Commodork! I'm starting the Commodore 64 chapter right now. Actually, I REALLY got "started" with the Mighty Mo 300 baud modem and a C64 wayback in the early '80's! It was a great time...