Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 09-03-2008, 11:03 PM   #16
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
I wonder how many years it will be until they can get a text to speech that is truly usable for e-books. I think with some text markup they should be able to add in the intended emotion.

I recently discovered a feature on my GPS that I didn't know existed. I've never got into text messaging because I've spent too much time at the end of a pager to want to be that accessible. Someone sent me a text message while I was in my car though and it popped up with a message that asked if I wanted to listen too it. A sexy female Aussie voice read the text message to me and did a good job of it. It makes sense that they already have the TTS built in.

The best audio book production that I've heard is the Philip Pullman "His Dark Materials" series. They have separate actors reading each of the parts and it's like listening to a play or an old radio production. Most books can't justify that kind of expense though. I don't think they'll every be able to reproduce that experience from TTS but it got me wondering what they'd be able to do in 20 years.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:16 PM   #17
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
I recently discovered a feature on my GPS that I didn't know existed. I've never got into text messaging because I've spent too much time at the end of a pager to want to be that accessible. Someone sent me a text message while I was in my car though and it popped up with a message that asked if I wanted to listen too it. A sexy female Aussie voice read the text message to me and did a good job of it. It makes sense that they already have the TTS built in.
I'm going to guess you drive a Ford or Lincoln-Mercury car with the Sync system.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2008, 02:40 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
The best audio book production that I've heard is the Philip Pullman "His Dark Materials" series. They have separate actors reading each of the parts and it's like listening to a play or an old radio production.
There are a number of so-called "full cast" audiobooks. A superb one, if you're into SF, is the audiobook of Orson Scott Card's "Ender's Game".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 02:46 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I'm going to guess you drive a Ford or Lincoln-Mercury car with the Sync system.
Lots of portable GPS systems work as "hand-free" mobile phone connections via BlueTooth, daffy. I have a Garmin one which does. They are very popular in Europe where, in most countries of the EU, it's illegal to use a hand-held mobile phone while driving.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:02 AM   #20
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Nope Harry is correct I have a Garmin GPS with bluetooth. It plays Audible and my car stereo has the MP3 jack so I can listen to it through the car speakers. Having it integrated works well because the turn by turn directions will pause the audio playback. If I get a phone call it will pause the e-book as well and start automatically when the call ends.

The difference between men and boys is the size and cost of the toys.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
duck!