Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 07-07-2017, 03:59 PM   #91
kkakosim
kkakosim began at the beginning.

Device: MS Surface Pro 4; Android; iPad; Kindle Paperwhite; Onyx N96ML
Boxtor, you are referring to this [N96ML_2017-05-02_17-04_dev_fbc2cc2_user] ?
This is the one I installed. If I get it right, this [Update File V1.8.2 N96 ML] is still Android v4.0.4.

[EDIT]
I installed v1.8.2 and frontlight works, did again v4.4 and it doesn't

Last edited by kkakosim; 07-07-2017 at 05:01 PM.
kkakosim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 04:50 PM   #92
Neru
!!!
Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.

Device: Boox Note 2, Boox i86
Hello, have anyone suceed in running 4.4 on I86ML without errors? Or are there any logcat apps that could work without root? (could not root because of systemui error).
Neru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2017, 10:56 PM   #93
plusz
Addict
plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: 13.3" Boox Max2, 7" Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by marssaturn View Post
thanks a lot plusz - at least I am now sure that i still have 4.0.4 - it is black :-(

I have read that MfgTools can be used to return to 4.0.4. How can I control, whether 4.4 or 4.0.4 is installed by MfgTools ???

I have tried again. Here is exactly what I have done.

1. power off with no USB cable attached
2. press the power button + > + < buttons at the same time for 4 secs until the led flashes
3. connect USB cable
4. start MfgTools2.exe
it shows "HID-konformes, vom Hersteller definiertes Gerät"
and "Hub 3-Port 1"
5. press Start button in MfgTools2 - it runs through several steps
6. buttons in mfgtools turn green - device reboots and starts
device display flashes some times inbetween
this phase takes rather long time
7. rebooted device shows this message
"Connect device to a computer for USB storage?"
There is OK and Cancel - I say "Cancel"
Title bar still black and version number 4.0.4 :-(
8. I click on Stop button in MfgTools, then "Exit"
9. I disconnect device properly from Windows

So, no success - update does not work - readers, please help me.

Best Regards,
Hey, I may know where is your problem. If I remember correctly I also had no success at first when I have tried to "set up the device" then connect it to the PC.

Try:
1. Connect USB cable, Boox - PC
2. Power off Boox, with the cable attached
3. Use the special FW upgrade key combination to start Boox, usb cable attached all the time
plusz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 03:38 AM   #94
lems1995
Zealot
lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: sony prs-t2,prs-t3, onyx boox n96ml, maxcarta, Likebook Note+Mimas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowRipple View Post
Now I am waiting for comments like:

"I updated to 4.4 but lost all my books, how can I restore them?"

Just rebuild library and then scan for metadata.

That's it!
PRS-T2, PRS-T3, After Glow 2, N96ML, Max Carta,
The far best are Sony products, Sony hasn't Android e-ink reader.
lems1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:48 AM   #95
eReader fan
Addict
eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: Onyx Nova pro and Hisense A2 pro
I sadly have to say I had to move again to the 4.0.x android. The superfast firmware stop being that in less than 24h. Also the internet browser was fully unusable and the play store never got connected.

Hope the development of tthe 4.4.4 keep on going
eReader fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2017, 04:11 PM   #96
mstolars
mstolars began at the beginning.

Device: onyx boox n96ml
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkakosim View Post
Boxtor, you are referring to this [N96ML_2017-05-02_17-04_dev_fbc2cc2_user] ?
This is the one I installed. If I get it right, this [Update File V1.8.2 N96 ML] is still Android v4.0.4.

[EDIT]
I installed v1.8.2 and frontlight works, did again v4.4 and it doesn't
I have N96ML and have the same promlem.

Android 4.4 and front light doesn't work

But my BT Microsoft flotable keyboard work
mstolars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:14 PM   #97
stardest
Enthusiast
stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: None
Hi guys after upgrading Android 4.4 my frontlight doesn't work anymore! has anyone experienced this?! I have the N96ML Pearl version.... ugh did I do something wrong or j=should i go back to 4.0.4 instead....

Ok just read previous posts and I see I'm not the only one. Looks like I'll be going back to Android 4.04...

Last edited by stardest; 08-03-2017 at 10:18 PM. Reason: didnt read previous post
stardest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:37 PM   #98
stardest
Enthusiast
stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Ok I'm trying one last time. I reverted back to Anroid 4.04 and now I'm reinstalling Android 4.4. Hopefully it'll work...
Old 08-04-2017, 05:23 AM   #99
underscore
Addict
underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kingrow K1 (former N96 ML/i86ML Plus/M92)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stardest View Post
Ok I'm trying one last time. I reverted back to Anroid 4.04 and now I'm reinstalling Android 4.4. Hopefully it'll work...
So you had 4.04.
You installed 4.4 to notice that frontlight stopped to work.
You rollback to 4.04 and frontlight worked again.
You read that someone else found the same bug on 4.4

Why are you reinstalling that 4.4 firmware again if you need the frontlight?
How do you think it'll work ?
Those 4.4 files were released on may.
If they have that bug is peacefully still there...
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 02:21 PM   #100
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: nook
Better late, than never...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrafn View Post
  1. Is there any factual basis for your "expect[ation] that newer Android has native functions to force render apps in 2 colors (B/W)"? And how robust are these functions?
Yes, there is. Very robust.
stangri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 12:02 AM   #101
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangri View Post
Better late, than never...

Yes, there is. Very robust.
Three months late meant that I had completely forgotten the context of the original question (which I would note was the third out of three, closely-related, questions relating to whether upgrading to Android 4.4 yields any practical benefits for eReaders).

Citations/details for their existence and robustness? Bald assertions are seldom helpful -- even less so when they're on a moribund topic.

Also (related to my first original question), what is the CPU load of these functions (remembering that the apps they are re-rendering may already be putting pressure on an eReader's slower CPU)?
Hrafn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 11:48 PM   #102
stardest
Enthusiast

figured I'd give it one last try just in case. There were other times in the past for some other problem where I did several tries and it worked. Anyhow, I'm back to 4.0.4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
So you had 4.04.
You installed 4.4 to notice that frontlight stopped to work.
You rollback to 4.04 and frontlight worked again.
You read that someone else found the same bug on 4.4

Why are you reinstalling that 4.4 firmware again if you need the frontlight?
How do you think it'll work ?
Those 4.4 files were released on may.
If they have that bug is peacefully still there...
Old 08-07-2017, 10:37 PM   #103
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Quote:
Three months late meant that I had completely forgotten the context of the original question (which I would note was the third out of three, closely-related, questions relating to whether upgrading to Android 4.4 yields any practical benefits for eReaders).
You're welcome. I've addressed one of your very specific questions (which had nothing to do with 4.4), I regret that the answer wasn't to your liking.

Quote:
Citations/details for their existence and robustness? Bald assertions are seldom helpful -- even less so when they're on a moribund topic.
A simple "android monochrome" search would have yielded the wisdom you were looking for: http://www.trishtech.com/2016/02/how...en-monochrome/

Quote:
Also (related to my first original question), what is the CPU load of these functions (remembering that the apps they are re-rendering may already be putting pressure on an eReader's slower CPU)?
I'd speculate, that being part of the display driver it doesn't load CPU at all.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:59 PM   #104
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangri View Post
A simple "android monochrome" search would have yielded the wisdom you were looking for: http://www.trishtech.com/2016/02/how...en-monochrome/
This simply forces the OS to emulate a monochrome display, which is redundant where the actual screen is already monochrome.

For the "force[d] rend[ition of] apps in[to] 2 colors (B/W)" to be useful, it would have to make intelligent decisions about contrast and readability (e.g. to prevent contrasting blue-on-yellow becoming non-contrasting grey-on-grey).

As I said, context matters.
Hrafn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 04:31 AM   #105
stangri
Addict

Quote:
This simply forces the OS to emulate a monochrome display...
Is there a basis for this statement? Considering modes other than monochrome in "newer" android, I have a different understanding, yet too lazy to check for myself.

Tags
onyx android