Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-06-2017, 10:32 AM   #16
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
I think the main decision point is the battery life. Dual or quad core cpus need more power and would decrease the working hours.
+1
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 05:55 AM   #17
SnowRipple
Zealot
SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Note Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
+1
I don't think that quad core processors would hurt the battery much.

There is already a n e-reader with quad core processor -Inkbook Prime - and they claim 4 weeks of working for standard usage- which is plenty.

The other thing is that even if you have more cores, you don't have to use them all all the time hence the energy consumption is not that affected as one might think.

You can research latest Snapdragon processors - with every iteration their energy efficiency is so much better! This is a nice example where the e-reader industry has benefited from mobile industry I think
SnowRipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2017, 07:51 AM   #18
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hello SnowRipple,

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowRipple View Post
I don't think that quad core processors would hurt the battery much.

There is already a n e-reader with quad core processor -Inkbook Prime - and they claim 4 weeks of working for standard usage- which is plenty.
For me, 4 weeks is a minimum for an e-reader, With my M92, the minimum is 6 weeks, with roughly two hours by day. A test was done : 76 hours with sometimes Wifi and WEB. I doesn't use the Wifi, my battery life is higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowRipple View Post
The other thing is that even if you have more cores, you don't have to use them all all the time hence the energy consumption is not that affected as one might think.

You can research latest Snapdragon processors - with every iteration their energy efficiency is so much better! This is a nice example where the e-reader industry has benefited from mobile industry I think
I'm well enough old (too old ?), to can remember a time where the developers worked hard to have a code small, fast and efficient. A time (many years ago) where the memory and the CPU was used with measure to have the best performances.

Give more memory and CPU to a lazy developer and you can obtain a ugly and slow code that consumes the resources and the power. The extraordinary progress done by the hardware like Snapdragon processors could be lost.

Last edited by Randy11; 04-09-2017 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-09-2017, 04:56 PM   #19
royconejo
royconejo began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox MAX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
I'm well enough old (too old ?), to can remember a time where the developers worked hard to have a code small, fast and efficient. A time (many years ago) where the memory and the CPU was used with measure to have the best performances.

Give more memory and CPU to a lazy developer and you can obtain a ugly and slow code that consumes the resources and the power. The extraordinary progress done by the hardware like Snapdragon processors could be lost.
That's correct. And people tend to forget that multi-core processors are parallel in nature. There are lots of things to do when a system has a QHD 60 fps display and a sophisticated nice looking GUI. But AFAIK, on a regular eReader the GUI is extremely simple and there are no other apps running in the background nor anything else to do while the screen refreshes. Worst, many apps from Google Play are unusable on this display.

So, exactly.. what would be the benefits of a multi-core eReader?

I believe this analysis has been done from the beginning. And as I said, I'm very impressed with the MAX speed on 1.8.2 firmware. So yes, I suspect they are (at least!) starting to do some software optimization to better use the hardware.

Last edited by royconejo; 04-09-2017 at 04:58 PM.
royconejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:46 PM   #20
tracey1
Addict
tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracey1 View Post
still no HDMI ?
does anybody know anything about this ?
tracey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2017, 11:55 PM   #21
fun2sail14
fun2sail14 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Hmm. Me, too. I've read in some places that the Max Carta will come with Android 4.0.4, and in other places that it will be 4.4...

Quote:
Originally Posted by plusz View Post
Seems that I got confused by the pre-order noise
fun2sail14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 03:31 AM   #22
desk7
Groupie
desk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Onyx Boox Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2sail14 View Post
Hmm. Me, too. I've read in some places that the Max Carta will come with Android 4.0.4, and in other places that it will be 4.4...
Among comments in this page http://goodereader.com/blog/electron...boox-max-carta there is one that is particularly interesting:
"Actually, the Onyx Boox Carta will come with Android 4.4 preinstalled, at least from the European vendor. I contacted him and he told me he had the freedom to choose between the older version and 4.4. He went for the latter. If you buy the e-reader directly from China, the device it might come with 4.0.

Nonetheless the next software updates will feature Android 4.4."
desk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 04:14 AM   #23
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
does anybody know anything about this ?
Probably not.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 05:34 AM   #24
M4H35H
Connoisseur
M4H35H doesn't litterM4H35H doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-950, Hanvon E920, Onyx Boox Note Lite, Boox Max2
Quote:
still no HDMI ?
I agree. If no HDMI, then no go. None of the upcoming devices seem to have it.
M4H35H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:16 AM   #25
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4H35H View Post
I agree. If no HDMI, then no go. None of the upcoming devices seem to have it.
With HDMI port will be equipped the upcoming Max 2, which we expect be ready for mass production in October of this year.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 10:07 AM   #26
Randy11
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
With HDMI port will be equipped the upcoming Max 2, which we expect be ready for mass production in October of this year.
Super ! I can start to put some money aside
Old 04-10-2017, 12:01 PM   #27
M4H35H
Connoisseur
M4H35H doesn't litterM4H35H doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-950, Hanvon E920, Onyx Boox Note Lite, Boox Max2
That's great news Booxtor!
M4H35H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 11:51 PM   #28
YasBean
Enthusiast
YasBean doesn't litterYasBean doesn't litter

Device: Sony RP1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Why HDMI on a reader?
YasBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:59 AM   #29
Randy11
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by YasBean View Post
Why HDMI on a reader?
To use the ONYX Max 2 as a display monitor, to replace your LCD monitor. But don't expect to show a full HD video It's oriented to 'text' activity : write or read.
Old 04-12-2017, 04:18 AM   #30
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 13inch
Quote:
Originally Posted by YasBean View Post
Why HDMI on a reader?
Screen Sharing. To be used as a presentation tool.
fgdas is offline   Reply With Quote